News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, March 26, 2021, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 13, 2021, 08:19:58 PM
avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl may I use your photos for the first post?

Sure. My neurons froze for a few seconds.... needed coffee to understand the request. ;D

Fembrogon

Quote from: Flaffy on September 13, 2021, 04:37:14 PM
I wonder how well this figure stacks up to all the other Giganotosaurus models on the market, particularly the skull / mandible shape.

I feel it's reminding me more of Mapusaurus; the skull seems a little blunter and deeper than Giga's skull is usually depicted.

MLMjp

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 14, 2021, 05:08:14 AM
I feel it's reminding me more of Mapusaurus; the skull seems a little blunter and deeper than Giga's skull is usually depicted.
Exactly my thoughts.

Leyster

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Giganotosaurus skull is actually stockier than it's populary depicted (the skull you see in mounts was artificially elongated to make it appear bigger).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

MLMjp

L @Leyster I know about the elongated skull and it being outdated, but other updated reconstructions still show Giganotosaurus with a more "pointy" snout. The skull on the figure looks "round" and that is a feature I associate more with Mapusaurus

To ilustrate what I am trying to say, see these two Giganotosaurus

vs Mapusaurus

Pd: where does the recontruction you posted come from?

Sim

The Favorite figure looks like Giganotosaurus to me, not Mapusaurus.  It always looks awful when the fenestrae get filled in with a different colour, I wish Favorite wouldn't do that.  It does mean I won't get a figure if it has that, so I'm saving space and money.  I'm still disappointed Favorite didn't make Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Amargasaurus all of which would have probably sold well.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 13, 2021, 08:46:02 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 13, 2021, 08:19:58 PM
avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl may I use your photos for the first post?

Sure. My neurons froze for a few seconds.... needed coffee to understand the request. ;D

Thank you kindly! And I definitely know the feeling.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: MLMjp on September 14, 2021, 12:42:44 PM
L @Leyster I know about the elongated skull and it being outdated, but other updated reconstructions still show Giganotosaurus with a more "pointy" snout. The skull on the figure looks "round" and that is a feature I associate more with Mapusaurus

Pd: where does the recontruction you posted come from?
It's the most recent one, by Dan Folkes. The others you posted are based on other carcharodontosaurids, while this one filled the gaps with Mapusaurus, which is a better solution since it's Giganotosaurus' closest relative.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

Favorite is repainting their Anomalocaris "soft model":

I'd rather have seen some new sculpts from Hirokazu Tokugawa, but at least this means they're not completely abandoning the Prehistoric Life series. And it is an attractive color scheme!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Fembrogon

It does look nice, although I'm partial to the original purple. I had noticed the Anomalocaris was missing from Favorite's English site page, so I'm glad to see they're bringing it back at some level.
More new sculpts would definitely be better, though - as well as some more reliable western suppliers.

Psittacoraptor

I've been wanting to buy that Anomalocaris for a while. I was just waiting until I had enough stuff in my cart to make shipping from Japan worthwhile. Now it's discontinued, apparently they will only be selling the green one from now on. Moral of the story: if you want something, don't wait too long!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2021, 03:28:00 PM
Favorite is repainting their Anomalocaris "soft model":

I'd rather have seen some new sculpts from Hirokazu Tokugawa, but at least this means they're not completely abandoning the Prehistoric Life series. And it is an attractive color scheme!

I have the original. The old Blaine would have gotten this green one too, but I am no longer in the habit buying simple stand-alone repaints. Especially since this figure is rather large.

brettnj

Soft Model gigantosaurus, releases on 12/10, 1210 Yen.

https://f-favorite.net/collections/dinosaur_softmodel/products/fdw-023

Taking orders now. Please PM if interested.

Thanks.
Brett

SidB

Halichoeres

Favorite ends 2021 with a whimper:

FD-326 squishy vinyl Giganotosaurus

CityRaptor

Target demographic for that one is obviously young kids.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Duck

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 31, 2021, 08:50:55 PM
Favorite ends 2021 with a whimper:

FD-326 squishy vinyl Giganotosaurus
Bruh
He who dwells in pond

Fembrogon

Favorite usually releases a big vinyl counterpart to their soft model figures, so I'm not surprised they've done one for the Giga.
It's really starting to resemble an abelisaur with that skull, though.

GojiraGuy1954

I thought it was a Yangchuanosaurus at first
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 01, 2022, 06:22:06 PM
I thought it was a Yangchuanosaurus at first

Yeah, honestly, in this style, most theropods would look pretty similar.

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 31, 2021, 09:24:13 PM
Target demographic for that one is obviously young kids.

Impossible. Most children don't even have jobs, so how could they possibly afford dinosaur figures? Economics 101, man.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: