News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, March 26, 2021, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

An exhibition on Laramidian dinosaurs in Yokohama is going to have two "exclusive" figures, which are just gray repaints of their existing squishy vinyl toys:

Remember 2016? That was a good year for Favorite Co.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

Woopeeeee. Those are pretty unremarkable for "Exclusives".

Faelrin

The year the Cambrian set released? I remember. So glad I have those now too. Many years of patience paid off.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Personally I'm happy to see exclusives like that. Unique sculpts being exclusives is something of a pain, paint variants that I can skip? Yes please!

ITdactyl

'Wonder what happened to the mystery theropod. ;D

We got teasers for last year's batch of figures around February, with the prototypes being revealed weekly throughout March-April and finally hitting the market by May.

The big mystery theropod was teased first week of May this year... and still no news.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on July 19, 2021, 05:43:40 PM
The year the Cambrian set released? I remember. So glad I have those now too. Many years of patience paid off.

Yep, those and five pairs of Fukui museum exclusives: Yinlong+Dilong, Sinoceratops+Zhuchengtyrannus, Bistahieversor+Pentaceratops, Coelophysis+Redondosaurus, and dueling Yutyrannus. For my money, it was their best overall year ever.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 19, 2021, 06:37:37 PM
Personally I'm happy to see exclusives like that. Unique sculpts being exclusives is something of a pain, paint variants that I can skip? Yes please!

The thing is, with the Prehistoric Life line apparently on hiatus, their interesting sculpts are almost always exclusives, so without them, Favorite rarely makes anything interesting at all! I'd rather they make something interesting, even if it's hard to get, than just not make anything interesting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

It's a bit disappointing that Favorite is making what is almost certainly Giganotosaurus and apparently nothing else.  It'll be smaller than 1:40 and I'm not very happy having figures that small.  I was hoping Favorite would make Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Amargasaurus.  Those would probably be 1:40 or a bit bigger given the size Favorite figures tend to be.

Halichoeres

This photo from their Twitter feed might be Giggles's color schemes:

SidB

Quote from: Sim on July 25, 2021, 11:29:46 AM
It's a bit disappointing that Favorite is making what is almost certainly Giganotosaurus and apparently nothing else.  It'll be smaller than 1:40 and I'm not very happy having figures that small.  I was hoping Favorite would make Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Amargasaurus.  Those would probably be 1:40 or a bit bigger given the size Favorite figures tend to be.
Though there are exceptions, their big theropods tend to be around 1/50, and many of their standard ornithischians 1/40, so using them together in diorama settings is difficult. Although I like their sculpts for their unique styling, they can be challenging to use in my preferred display method.

ITdactyl

Ah. I should've known it was a "paint by numbers" color scheme. They just need to put a different color paint for all the skull openings. ;D

ITdactyl

To experts on carcharodontosaurid skulls - is it possible that the new figure is NOT a Giganotosaurus?

Anyway, a new blog entry from Favorite Co.

Quote[Mini Dinosaur Encyclopedia for kids: Quetzalcoatlus] ⁠
It was one of the largest pterosaurs in history, inhabiting the Late Cretaceous. The inside of the bone is hollow to reduce weight, and it is estimated that it was the same size as a modern giraffe but weighed considerably lighter. From the fossil footprints, it is believed that he walked on four legs on the ground, and from the state of standing on four legs, he launched like a pole vault with his long forefoot as the axis.

I've started to prefer chunkier restorations of azhdarchids so I skipped this model. It feels stuck in 2012. I still have some apprehensions though - what if the skinny restorations are actually correct per that A.Larramendi paper on specific gravities of organisms? 

Ah well, I'm probably over thinking this. It's not a limited edition model anyway. I'll probably get one next year. ⁠ ;D

Fembrogon

I reviewed that Quetz not very long ago. It's an alright figure, but there are definitely better azhdarchids on the market.
It would have been interesting to see Hirokazu Tokugawa's take on the animal, rather than Kazunari Araki's.

ITdactyl

Yeah avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon , 'read that review when it got posted. Didn't react because I agree with everything said.  I also agree that Tokugawa-san's style makes the animals look chunkier - the style that I prefer.  He hasn't sculpted a new pterosaur though - the last he posted was the 2015 Rhamphorhynchus. As for a wishlist, I'd rather Favorite prioritize his 2015 Miragaia over a pterosaur though. :))

============================

Some new blog posts from Favorite Co.

Quote[Mini Dinosaur Encyclopedia for kids: Styracosaurus] ⁠
⁠ A type of ceratopsian that lived in the late Cretaceous. The frill on the back of the head has six large spikes, with small protrusions underneath. There was also a huge horn on the tip of the nose. Because the frill has two large openings to reduce weight, the spikes seem more of a deterrent for other males than a weapon to protect themselves from predator attacks. Was its role to intimidate, appeal to the opposite sex, or identify friends?
The teeth have a structure similar to that of a cutting machine, and it seems that they are used to eating very fibrous and hard food, but the details are unknown.

Quote[Mini Dinosaur Encyclopedia for kids: Tarbosaurus] ⁠
⁠One of the largest dinosaurs in the Tyrannosaurid family that lived in Late Cretaceous Asia. The skull is lighter than Tyrannosaurus. In addition, because of the narrow width of the skull, it is considered that the eyes did not face forward and stereoscopic vision was not possible. The theory that it belongs to the same genus as Tyrannosaurus is deep-rooted because it is similar in size and shape, but many scholars have denied this because it has a slightly smaller body than Tyrannosaurus, a skull width that is only about two-thirds, and shorter forelimbs.

SidB

Looks likes the picket fence is upside-down.

CityRaptor

Probably the pointy part is meant to be slammed into the ground to anchor the fence...which of course does not work on a table. However it ultimately does not matter since none of these animals will be hindered by those fences.

They spared no expense...expect for fences.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SidB

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 02, 2021, 04:14:13 PM
Probably the pointy part is meant to be slammed into the ground to anchor the fence...which of course does not work on a table. However it ultimately does not matter since none of these animals will be hindered by those fences.

They spared no expense...expect for fences.
I get your "point"!

ITdactyl

Giganotosaurus confirmed.

Favorite Co. is leaning on this dinosaur's appearance in Jurassic World: Dominion for marketing. Red color scheme was chosen to evoke power.

Set to be released by the end of the year.
more pictures:
https://f-favorite.net/blogs/journal/products_info_dev_item_post_00014

Shonisaurus

That giganotosaurus is spectacular, the sculpture and painting details are very good. Favorite was one of the few brands that had yet to make that iconic South American dinosaur.

Flaffy

I wonder how well this figure stacks up to all the other Giganotosaurus models on the market, particularly the skull / mandible shape.

Halichoeres

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl may I use your photos for the first post?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: