You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on May 01, 2022, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: Eocarcharia on April 30, 2022, 10:31:06 PM
*sigh* I'm gonna have to start getting Rebor figures now, aren't I?

I could easily see me starting to collect Rebor stuff if they released more figures like this. I won't be getting this one as I will go with Eofauna's instead, as I'm sure it will be the most accurate version on the market. I still admit this is a fabulous attempt though, and I do agree with it beating Wilson. I also hope it proves to be successful enough for them to consider releasing, even if not all of their figures, at least some scientifically accurate figures from time to time, even though I'm not holding my breath because this is very out of character from them and probably only did it this time because it's a Tyrannosaurus.

Onto the matter of more colour variants, why not release one with the colours of the Prehistoric Planet T.rex? I'm sure a lot of people would love that. It's not like they are afraid of copying, this current colour scheme is clearly taken from a Blue Rhino statue.
Their Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus seem like theyre taking a more accurate direction as well.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SRF

More pictures of "Tusk" are now shown as well. Looking at the tail of Tusk, it's now confirmed that the tail will be bendable.

I still prefer the colors of Kiss over Tusk though. But I'll probably get both.
But today, I'm just being father

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Abobo on April 30, 2022, 02:15:25 PM

Now, who would have thought Rebor gives us the ultimate T. rex? This is a must buy for me, no questions asked.

Bread

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 01, 2022, 10:26:03 PM
Now, who would have thought Rebor gives us the ultimate T. rex? This is a must buy for me, no questions asked.
Not only that, but finally a Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus too!

Now, I hope Rebor would maybe produce a few of these accurate representations from time to time given this reaction from their accurate rex.

Over9K

Tusk is looking good too... perhaps even better than Kiss, color-wise?

SidB

Looking at both versions, lipped and standard, I have to applaud Rebor for this marketing approach. Love it or not, T-rex has been and remains the most popular of the dinosaurs. Why take a chance on disappointing half of your potential market by issuing a figure that caters to only one approach , when you can cover your bases by making both lipped and non-lipped. I suspect that more than a few people will grab both versions when they become available. Given the enduring significance of this animal, I wonder if Eofauna will dare to take the same approach? (I kind of doubt it.) Now hopefully the bootleggers won't intervene any time soon.

Duna

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 01, 2022, 04:05:55 PM
Why post the male
Because I didn't want to use a capture screen picture of the video and there were only available of the male published by others.

On the other hand, both are incredible figures. If there was only one of both I would name any of them indistinctibly the best tyrannosaurus figure. And they have offered two to choose!That's very thankful of them.
I would have bought Tusk without any doubt, but I prefer the lipped version more, by now. Then, colours after that.

Shadowknight1

Both Kiss and Tusk are up at Big Bad Toy Store!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Faelrin

avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 Thanks for the heads up. Pre-ordered Kiss already. Seeing the release date is June. Hope it doesn't overlap with my pre-order for the Mattel Hammond Collection T. rex though. Affording both at the same time is going to be rough. I'm also pleasantly surprised the price isn't too bad.
$54.99 for anyone wondering.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Honestly, $55 is not bad. Especially with Wilson being priced at about $70.

Now, does this figure come with a plastic rod?

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 02, 2022, 04:11:03 PM
Both Kiss and Tusk are up at Big Bad Toy Store!
Thank you for the heads up. Got 2 of the Kiss Variant! Now I think tracking down the CollectA juvi rex would make a great family of the three!

Lynx

Woah! Already being up for pre-order? I'm gonna get this rex soon as I get home
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

This figure is bad news to Wilson. Not only it outclasses it but it's also 20 $ cheaper...

Medzo

Woah, this is the very first time I see this release (I haven't follow this thread before). I've never thought of Rebor of producing figures like this. I hope this gives PNSO some serious competition for the future, like the GR Toys Charca did (alas their new T-Rex disappoints).

Does it come with a box?

Rain

Torn between the two. I prefer the paint scheme on the lipless variant, but would prefer lips. Guess I'll wait till some more pictures come out before deciding.

Quote from: Medzo on May 02, 2022, 10:12:28 PM
Does it come with a box?

Yes, Rebor is actually the company that started the box trend, among the bigger ones at least.

need4swede

The 'Kiss' model looks brilliant, but very curious to know if there will be other color schemes. I went through with the pre-order, but would be very interested in a repaint given how gorgeous that sculpt looks.
- Swede

Over9K

Quote from: Concavenator on May 02, 2022, 09:56:53 PM
This figure is bad news to Wilson. Not only it outclasses it but it's also 20 $ cheaper...

And yet, $8 more than the big (slightly larger even) Carnotaurus we just got. The current socioeconomic situation bleeds into everything. 

Still a nice price comparatively to PNSO and Nanmu, so I went ahead and pre-ordered both. Fun way to document the great lip debate of the 2020's... 

Medzo

There is one thing that bugs me though. All of Rebor's figures are kinda monster-like. Even these scientifically accurate rexes have a bit of an "evil look" to them.

Pretty sure its the eyes. Luxiong's for example still has a more neutral animal feeling.

But besides this, seemingly amazing sculpts witt unique paint applications.

Faelrin

avatar_Medzo @Medzo I think that could be attributed to the way the area around the eyes have been painted, and perhaps the shadows from the way the images were taken. Like I get your point (and it is typical of Rebor to do that), but I think that's why. Granted, I don't really get that vibe as much from Kiss, as I do with Tusk, where it was likely intentional anyways, as it replicates the coloration of their original T. rex model, that was very much intended to be awesome-bro or whatever. Will be nice to see how they look in sunlight and in hand pics once they start shipping out. I think at this point, between this and the BotM ones, I don't think I'm going to need another T. rex for a very very long time, short of some major anatomical breakthrough, even though I was wanting to see a new one featherless and lipped one from Safari Ltd for some time.

Also can't believe it took me this long to think of this, but man this makes me really wish they would re-do their Acrocanthosaurus and Yutyrannus with this kind of detail work and accuracy (really I think it was just the huge feet, and some other minor issues on their older one that held it back some, otherwise still a great piece, just sadly no longer available, and obviously the Yutyrannus should have been feathered much more), lips or no lips, but of course I prefer the former. But again I really like Rebor's approach to this, with offering both lipped and lipless options, and wish more companies were bold enough to do so, aside from the alternate colorations too.

Also avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO could you be kind enough to give more detail about the included stand that BBTS mentioned on their pre-order page for Kiss and Tusk? Will it be like PNSO's clear ones? Also any idea on when those bases that were teased not too long ago release? I really want to get my hands on those to go with the T. rex I pre-ordered. Aside from the fact there's never been an attempt (to my knowledge) at a post-impact base available for sale, which opens up options for dioramas, and all the more reason I want to get my hands on one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Faelrin on May 03, 2022, 02:11:35 AM
avatar_Medzo @Medzo I think that could be attributed to the way the area around the eyes have been painted, and perhaps the shadows from the way the images were taken. Like I get your point (and it is typical of Rebor to do that), but I think that's why. Granted, I don't really get that vibe as much from Kiss, as I do with Tusk, where it was likely intentional anyways, as it replicates the coloration of their original T. rex model, that was very much intended to be awesome-bro or whatever. Will be nice to see how they look in sunlight and in hand pics once they start shipping out. I think at this point, between this and the BotM ones, I don't think I'm going to need another T. rex for a very very long time, short of some major anatomical breakthrough, even though I was wanting to see a new one featherless and lipped one from Safari Ltd for some time.

Also can't believe it took me this long to think of this, but man this makes me really wish they would re-do their Acrocanthosaurus and Yutyrannus with this kind of detail work and accuracy (really I think it was just the huge feet, and some other minor issues on their older one that held it back some, otherwise still a great piece, just sadly no longer available, and obviously the Yutyrannus should have been feathered much more), lips or no lips, but of course I prefer the former. But again I really like Rebor's approach to this, with offering both lipped and lipless options, and wish more companies were bold enough to do so, aside from the alternate colorations too.

Also avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO could you be kind enough to give more detail about the included stand that BBTS mentioned on their pre-order page for Kiss and Tusk? Will it be like PNSO's clear ones? Also any idea on when those bases that were teased not too long ago release? I really want to get my hands on those to go with the T. rex I pre-ordered. Aside from the fact there's never been an attempt (to my knowledge) at a post-impact base available for sale, which opens up options for dioramas, and all the more reason I want to get my hands on one.
I also suggested to REBOR a revamp of the Acrocanthosaurus shortly after getting my Saurophaganax.  Just the advancements they've made in just the scale detailing has become so well done.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

SRF

I agree with avatar_Medzo @Medzo that these Rexes still have a monster-like vibe to it even thought they are quite accurate. When it comes to presenting theropods just like animals, PNSO seems to hit the right boxes better than Rebor does. For that matter, Wilson and also Lu-Xiong have some advantages over Kiss and Tusk. Besides the eyes though, it could also be the black background on which these figures are presented, opposed to the white one PNSO uses.

Still I think these two are the best T. Rexes yet, especially Kiss. I'm looking forward to seeing in hand photos of both of them. Probably will get both when they become available at my local reseller. :) 
But today, I'm just being father

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: