News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

W-Dragon - New for 2021

Started by blnadal, June 21, 2021, 07:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blnadal

Indoraptor
1/15 45x16cm
Figure: PVC
Stand: resin

Indominus Rex
1/35 48x18cm
Figure: PVC
Stand: resin

JohannesB

I think W-Dragon is the best in many regards (sculpt, detail, paint app), but now that they have acquired the JP license, I guess we can forget any real dinosaurs. Although I must hasten to say I do have their "Rexy", and I love it (for me there is big sentimental value attached to Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus rex).

SenSx

Glad to see W-Dragon is back.
But I'm not interested in any of these :( although I must say they look fanstastic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't own any WDragon pieces preferring Nanmu to the softer details of their past work. These do look much better and are about the same size as the Nanmu ones. I recall how hard it was to get a nice model of the Indominus way back when the film came out. If these look about the same in production and the price isn't exceptionally nuts ( Nanmu pricing /maybe a bit more ) I'd be on board.

Duna

WOW, those are IN-CRE-DI-BLE  :o If only I had the money and my unfinished collections finished ...

Shonisaurus

That indomimus and indoraptor put the rest of the toy dinosaur companies to shame instead. Those figures are great and they look just like the creatures that appeared in the last two JW movies. W-Dragon is playing hard. Those platforms are outstanding. By the way, are W-Dragon's indoraptor and indomimus figures removable like his giganotosaurus?

SenSx

I'd buy a 1/10 Blue Velociraptor to go with my Iron Studio trio.

Psittacoraptor

Technically, paint- und sculpt-wise, these models look fantastic. The designs ... well ... good for JP/JW fans. I'll cherish my Giraffatitan and lament what could have been.

postsaurischian

It's so sad to see that we've lost W-Dragon's excellent craftmanship to JP :'( .

blnadal

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 22, 2021, 11:30:23 AM
That indomimus and indoraptor put the rest of the toy dinosaur companies to shame instead. Those figures are great and they look just like the creatures that appeared in the last two JW movies. W-Dragon is playing hard. Those platforms are outstanding. By the way, are W-Dragon's indoraptor and indomimus figures removable like his giganotosaurus?
It seems to be

JohannesB

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 22, 2021, 05:06:35 PM
It's so sad to see that we've lost W-Dragon's excellent craftmanship to JP :'( .

This

JohannesB

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on June 22, 2021, 04:51:03 PM
Technically, paint- und sculpt-wise, these models look fantastic. The designs ... well ... good for JP/JW fans. I'll cherish my Giraffatitan and lament what could have been.

I hope they still sneak in a real dinosaur some time in the near future.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Archosaur on June 22, 2021, 07:54:21 PM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on June 22, 2021, 04:51:03 PM

I hope they still sneak in a real dinosaur some time in the near future.

I hope so, but I'm not optimistic. I'm sure making more JP/JW merch is the right move for them financially, as the audience for pretend dinosaurs seems to be a lot larger than the audience for dinosaurs as they actually were.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bone crusher

Just ordered both of the Giraffatitan and Spinosaurus, they'll be my very first W-Dragon figure so hope they'll impress in person. Been watching some Youtube comparisons of the Spinos with Nanmu's offering, what do you guys think about those two, which one looks better to you?

SenSx

Quote from: bone crusher on June 29, 2021, 01:23:56 PM
Just ordered both of the Giraffatitan and Spinosaurus, they'll be my very first W-Dragon figure so hope they'll impress in person. Been watching some Youtube comparisons of the Spinos with Nanmu's offering, what do you guys think about those two, which one looks better to you?

This is an interesting comparaison.
There is no clear winner between Nanmu and W-Dragon Spinosaurus in my opinion, they're both great, so it will be a matter of tastes.
The Nanmu seems to be closer to the animatronic, I like it's head more, it is more slender to me, and unlike many, I love articulated jaws as I like to choose if I want to showcase my dinosaurs with either open or closed mouth.
The W-Dragon is more bulky and impressive.
Some people like the W-Dragon's dynamic and agressive pose more, but I actually prefer the calm one of the Nanmu.
The Nanmu also has the best paint job in my opinion (here is the only point where I feel it is not as subjective as the others), it is more complex and has more contrast and yet it still feels natural.
Yet W-Dragon tried to improve that on their Spinosaurus, the new batch from this year seems to have slightly different color tones, the white on the body and the face is more vibrant, you can see they tried to mathch with Nanmu's application, as I often see people agreeing that it has a better paint job.
I like the new W-Dragon paint more than before, eventhough it is a bit too contrasty now, but Nanmu is still better.
The eyes on the W-Dragon are better though.
And as far as size and overall body mass goes, the W-Dragon wins the round of course.

If I had the money and space I might have bought the W-Dragon Spinosaurus as well, but I just can't afford it :(
And I don't know which version of the W-Dragon Spinosaurus you are going to get.

bone crusher

Quote from: SenSx on June 29, 2021, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: bone crusher on June 29, 2021, 01:23:56 PM

This is an interesting comparaison.
There is no clear winner between Nanmu and W-Dragon Spinosaurus in my opinion, they're both great, so it will be a matter of tastes.
The Nanmu seems to be closer to the animatronic, I like it's head more, it is more slender to me, and unlike many, I love articulated jaws as I like to choose if I want to showcase my dinosaurs with either open or closed mouth.
The W-Dragon is more bulky and impressive.
Some people like the W-Dragon's dynamic and agressive pose more, but I actually prefer the calm one of the Nanmu.
The Nanmu also has the best paint job in my opinion (here is the only point where I feel it is not as subjective as the others), it is more complex and has more contrast and yet it still feels natural.
Yet W-Dragon tried to improve that on their Spinosaurus, the new batch from this year seems to have slightly different color tones, the white on the body and the face is more vibrant, you can see they tried to mathch with Nanmu's application, as I often see people agreeing that it has a better paint job.
I like the new W-Dragon paint more than before, eventhough it is a bit too contrasty now, but Nanmu is still better.
The eyes on the W-Dragon are better though.
And as far as size and overall body mass goes, the W-Dragon wins the round of course.

If I had the money and space I might have bought the W-Dragon Spinosaurus as well, but I just can't afford it :(
And I don't know which version of the W-Dragon Spinosaurus you are going to get.
Thanks for the input, very insightful observations. I've been tossing between the two for quite awhile now and it was W Dragon's size and aggressive pose that pushed me over the edge. The best things about Nanmu's version are the translucent teeth and superior paint job, but in the end both look amazing indeed. I really hope I get the new updated version too.

SenSx

Yes forgot about the transparent teeth, this is the mark of Nanmu and Rebor, looks very good.

Over9K

So is the 1/15th scale Indoraptor PVC or polyresin? Dan's has it listed for $249, and says it's a "Fully Finished Resin Figure"...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on July 01, 2021, 09:24:30 AM
So is the 1/15th scale Indoraptor PVC or polyresin? Dan's has it listed for $249, and says it's a "Fully Finished Resin Figure"...

I'm not sure, the details he posted are the first I've seen anywhere. I'm waiting to see if Lana posts it up.  That price though..I feel W-Dragon is slightly overpriced? Not outrageously so, but they seem to be on the high end of every item's value.  For example Nanmu's Once and Future King,  119.00 and it will probably be about the same size. Granted WD will have a base too I guess.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 01, 2021, 03:42:20 PMI'm not sure, the details he posted are the first I've seen anywhere. I'm waiting to see if Lana posts it up.  That price though..I feel W-Dragon is slightly overpriced? Not outrageously so, but they seem to be on the high end of every item's value.  For example Nanmu's Once and Future King,  119.00 and it will probably be about the same size. Granted WD will have a base too I guess.

Being polyresin might justify SOME of that price... and a limited run would justify a little more of it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: