News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

W-Dragon - New for 2021

Started by blnadal, June 21, 2021, 07:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on November 19, 2021, 03:49:24 AM
Never liked JW:FK, but these models of the Indoraptor really bring the monster to life. If I could choose any it would be that W-Dragon model, I feel like the prime1 has too much detail in a way that ruins the appearance of the Indoraptor. Maybe it is just me. Thanks for the photos and comparisons avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Very welcome.  The P1 has a gloss coating that really highlights each scale under light.  The WD has a lot of detail too but a flat paint app that causes much of it to be obscured easily.  Regardless it is there and I'm pretty impressed with detail level.  P1 used assets from Universal so has WD now as I recall.  P1 tends to use a variety of references, I think WD uses cg only?

Shonisaurus

This indoraptor is far superior to other models like Nanmu Studio's. Honestly the realism in sculpting by W-Dragon in JP / JW's horror creatures is very good. The indomimus and indoraptor creatures are just as they are shown in said movies.

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 19, 2021, 04:27:16 AM
Never liked JW:FK, but these models of the Indoraptor really bring the monster to life. If I could choose any it would be that W-Dragon model, I feel like the prime1 has too much detail in a way that ruins the appearance of the Indoraptor. Maybe it is just me. Thanks for the photos and comparisons avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Very welcome.  The P1 has a gloss coating that really highlights each scale under light.  The WD has a lot of detail too but a flat paint app that causes much of it to be obscured easily.  Regardless it is there and I'm pretty impressed with detail level.  P1 used assets from Universal so has WD now as I recall.  P1 tends to use a variety of references, I think WD uses cg only?
Yeah I think its the gloss that really over details the model for me. Generally this never bothers me but I think it has to do with the monster title and appearance in the film that I rather choose a darker and less detailed model as to one who has heavy detailing and gloss.

I think W-Dragon now uses CG only, but their older models were more or less copies and unofficial so they do have some slight movie accuracy errors.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 19, 2021, 07:30:50 AM
This indoraptor is far superior to other models like Nanmu Studio's. Honestly the realism in sculpting by W-Dragon in JP / JW's horror creatures is very good. The indomimus and indoraptor creatures are just as they are shown in said movies.

I think Nanmu could do an updated version now if they wanted too. Same with their Indominus Rex.  It's not bad at all, right up there with Papo but it could have been more as their current work shows.

Quote from: Bread on November 19, 2021, 03:34:43 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 19, 2021, 04:27:16 AM

Yeah I think its the gloss that really over details the model for me. Generally this never bothers me but I think it has to do with the monster title and appearance in the film that I rather choose a darker and less detailed model as to one who has heavy detailing and gloss.

I think W-Dragon now uses CG only, but their older models were more or less copies and unofficial so they do have some slight movie accuracy errors.

I get that.  I try to just figure he's in the rain for accuracy's sake. That and I need to watch the film again, he may have had that glossy snake look to him here and there before he got wet. 

I was never a fan of their unlicensed work, not compared to others. They just seemed too soft on detail that should have been present.

Bread

The Indoraptor has like a slight shine when the lights are turned on in Lockwood's museum part of the mansion. I should re-state that it really isn't a movie accuracy issue, more or less a preference of movie monsters having no gloss in figure form.

Edit: I too dislike the soft detail on W-Dragon's old products, pre-licensed. I'd like to own the old Rexy they have, but the price seems too high for the detail it has.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on November 20, 2021, 01:16:28 AM
The Indoraptor has like a slight shine when the lights are turned on in Lockwood's museum part of the mansion. I should re-state that it really isn't a movie accuracy issue, more or less a preference of movie monsters having no gloss in figure form.

Edit: I too dislike the soft detail on W-Dragon's old products, pre-licensed. I'd like to own the old Rexy they have, but the price seems too high for the detail it has.

Ah gotcha.

I'm sure they will make another one.  I'm debating the Spino/Bull Rex set but man that's pricey..

blnadal

Shonisaurus

What material is that tyrannosaurus rex made of wow! Is it too pretty? Honestly W-Dragon makes dinosaurs and fantastic creatures much better than its Nanmu counterpart from my point of view or at least now it is surpassing Nanmu in quality.

Over9K

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 06, 2021, 01:33:49 PM
What material is that tyrannosaurus rex made of wow! Is it too pretty? Honestly W-Dragon makes dinosaurs and fantastic creatures much better than its Nanmu counterpart from my point of view or at least now it is surpassing Nanmu in quality.

I feel like W-Dragon has chosen to produce their licensed Jurassic Park/World products into polyresin, rather than PVC. The results are certainly beautiful, but they are also more expensive and more delicate, more statues than PVC figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Right, detail seems to be difficult to get from these companies in anything but resin?  It does look nice but we are talking over 200.00 plus shipping fees. Compared to Nanmu's which is about 60.00  They are really paying for that license it seems?

Bread

I like it, but as others point it out this will be an expensive piece. Prime1 Studios need to really step up their production process. Seems like Wdragon is producing these at a fast pace.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2021, 02:44:16 PM
I like it, but as others point it out this will be an expensive piece. Prime1 Studios need to really step up their production process. Seems like Wdragon is producing these at a fast pace.

I'm tempted to to cancel some of my Prime1 pieces, still haven't received one this year. Despite others getting theirs. But I would lose payments made so far if I did.

blnadal

blnadal

Sandor the Saurian

Quote from: blnadal on December 06, 2021, 11:05:45 AM

Any idea where to order it from and not just this but W-dragons in general. Thank you guys

Shonisaurus

By the way that projected mosasaurus from W-Dragon, what material will it be made of? I suppose that the base will be made of resin, but how will the rest of the set of the figure be made of PVC or a high-quality material such as resin or polyresin?

blnadal

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 07, 2021, 04:17:31 PM
By the way that projected mosasaurus from W-Dragon, what material will it be made of? I suppose that the base will be made of resin, but how will the rest of the set of the figure be made of PVC or a high-quality material such as resin or polyresin?
I guess all the bases are made of resin, and the figures are confirmed:
Indominus Rex - PVC
Mosasaurus - PVC
Spinosaurus - Resin
T-Rex (male) - Resin
T-Rex (female) - Resin

Shonisaurus

Quote from: blnadal on December 07, 2021, 04:29:35 PM
Indominus Rex - PVC
Mosasaurus - PVC
Spinosaurus - Resin
T-Rex (male) - Resin
T-Rex (female) - Resin

Thanks for the information, the indominus rex and the mosasaurus have to be part of my collection and I do not have the rest not because I do not like them but because I would have to buy more high security cabinets to prevent the figures from breaking. I sincerely love W-Dragon.

For being made of PVC, the indomimus rex and the mosasaurus are spectacular figures.

blnadal

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 07, 2021, 04:44:45 PM
Indominus Rex - PVC
Mosasaurus - PVC
Spinosaurus - Resin
T-Rex (male) - Resin
T-Rex (female) - Resin

Thanks for the information, the indominus rex and the mosasaurus have to be part of my collection and I do not have the rest not because I do not like them but because I would have to buy more high security cabinets to prevent the figures from breaking. I sincerely love W-Dragon.

For being made of PVC, the indomimus rex and the mosasaurus are spectacular figures.
all those resin statues are very limited, so maybe we will see PVC versions in the future and I really hope for it

Shonisaurus

Quote from: blnadal on December 07, 2021, 04:54:38 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 07, 2021, 04:44:45 PM
Indominus Rex - PVC
Mosasaurus - PVC
Spinosaurus - Resin
T-Rex (male) - Resin
T-Rex (female) - Resin

all those resin statues are very limited, so maybe we will see PVC versions in the future and I really hope for it

I hope they make figures in PVC format both the spinosaurus and the tyrannosaurus. The W-Dragon giganotosaurus made of PVC shows that the non-noble material (PVC) and the high quality of the figures are not at odds when it comes to making figures of prehistoric animals can even compete with the resin ones like that giganotosaurus from W- Dragon, I will have to pass photographs of that figure that I have in my private collection, highly recommended figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: