News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleochris's collection

Started by paleochris, October 03, 2021, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your bajadasaurus and your carcharodontosaurus this last one from GR Toys, both resin figures are fabulous, well, the quality of the resin adds to the beauty of the sculpture and the painting. I'm glad for you. Other than that, they are very large figures.

paleochris

Quote from: Bread on November 08, 2021, 03:39:37 AM
What a beautiful piece you got there!

I have to agree about the GR Toy's Carcharodontosaurus PVC figure. I have mixed feelings about it again and still haven't pulled the trigger on buying it. Glad I haven't as I am starting to prefer PNSO's. However this model definitely greatly outshines the figure(s) entirely! Such a masterpiece!

Now, where do you order most of your large pieces P @paleochris?

avatar_Bread @Bread I think the sculpture is good but I have some doubts about the articulated jaw which is badly integrated with the rest, the figure would have been better without articulation.

It's especially the paint job that I don't like, I think it's too much loaded, there are too many patterns, contrasts and colors, they made a resin model painting on a small size PVC figure, I think it doesn't work.
The carcha of PNSO is much more beautiful and sober.

For your question : my sources of purchases are very various. I know a lot of studios and collectors via social networks, there is in particular the platform Dinosaur Darkroom market which allows to order statues difficult to find.
There is ebay, some stores too, KP figures in Vietnam or especially Lanatime Shop https://lanatime-shop.com which is very well known and very reliable, even if the prices are often very high.

Bread

Thank you! I have been looking into purchasing large pieces someday, and I know you had a rather large collection of them. Most likely Lana's shop will be the priority site, and thank you for the link too!

KeU

That GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus is impressive.  With its size, they can present so much details. Lovely.

The cracks on the Titanoboa is unfortunate. Do you have your displays in direct sunlight? That will degrade the rubber faster.

BrontoScorpio

I see this collection now for the first time - what an impressive it is.
Would love to see those Resin statues in  more detail.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

paleochris

Hello ! I have not been very present these last months... The reason is that I have totally reorganized my collection! I have created a new 20m2 room entirely dedicated to the collection. Of course, a lot of new animals and dinosaurs have been added.

Some pictures:

Room ready to receive its occupants....

.... and and the room full of its occupants ! (but two shelves are still under construction)

The ceratopsians' corner !

Pterosaur and birds

I tried to arrange the animals by periods and then by large groups (ceratopsians, tyrannosaurids etc.) but it is not always easy

I have about 180 pieces:

For the PVC figures: I don't collect much anymore. It is 95% PNSO of which I continue to be an absolute fan and buy their products ! I still have some rare papo, Eofauna, Rebor etc.
I don't have any JP or JW dinosaurs, my goal is really to have a scientifically accurate miniature museum

I have resin statues from the main studios and sculptors: Msee Studio, SenSen, Yesen, Haolongood, SideShow, David Krentz, Shane Foulkes etc. most of them in 1/20.
80% of the collection is made of dinosaurs but I collect all living things! I also have things before the dinosaurs, and after, also actual animals.

I will try to make more complete reviews on my resin statues, because there are not many on the forum, if you are interested!

SidB

Utterly splendid, P @paleochris , I really can't find words to express my admiration for what you are accomplishing. The time may come, though, when you will need more room ... .

ceratopsian

That is a fabulous room. And an amazing collection. I would certainly like to see and read more about your resins.

BlueKrono

Is that the SenSen Ouranosaurus on that low shelf there? Where do you buy SenSen stuff?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Dyscrasia

That is an absolutely stunning collection. I also see the highly sought after Sideshow Krentz T. rex statue.

Halichoeres

Phenomenal collection. I've been thinking of doing something similar with part of my guest room, but I'm also hoping to still be able to use it as a guest room. Most items in my collection are smaller than what you've got, though, so it might be doable. I'm sure lots of us would be interested in seeing more detailed shots of the resin models!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

paleochris

Thank you for your enthusiasm,

I will present you in details the last one I received a few days ago,

Lystrosaurus vs Chasmatosaurus - SenSen

SenSen is an increasingly productive Chinese paleo artist and one of the most talented of the moment.
In 2021, he released a fabulous diorama supposedly set between the Permian and Triassic periods about 250 Ma ago. It puts in scene two animals:

Lystrosaurus, a peaceful herbivorous "mammalian reptile" between 1 and 2 m tall.

Chasmatosaurus (or Proterosuchus) a primitive archosaur related to the ancestors of crocodilians, whose size is around 3 m.

The scene is inspired by a sequence from the BBC documentary "On the Land of Giants" which shows a river crossing by a herd of Lystrosaurus on the same analogy as today's wildebeest. They are then trapped by the Chasmatosaurus which are waiting for them in the water.The probability that such scenes of life really occurred 250 Ma ago in the middle of the super-continent of Pangea are high although the lifestyle of Proterosuchus remains debated; it may have been terrestrial or it may have been a semiaquatic ambush predator similar to modern crocodiles (artist's choice here).

Extract from Wikipedia :
QuoteThe lifestyle of Proterosuchus is debated. It has conventionally been depicted as a semiaquatic ambush predator similar to modern crocodiles. However, it lived in an arid environment and many aspects of its anatomy conflict with a semiaquatic lifestyle. In particular, its limbs are well-ossified, as in terrestrial animals, and the nostrils are laterally-positioned on the snout, not dorsally-positioned. The histology of its bones is reminiscent of terrestrial animals, not semiaquatic ones. However, support for a semiaquatic lifestyle comes from its brain anatomy, which resembles semiaquatic predators such as crocodiles more closely than terrestrial reptiles. The orientation of its ear canals suggests its neutral head posture had the snout angled upward, which would have raised the nostrils high enough for the animal to breathe while largely submerged.[12] However, the utility of the orientation of the semicircular canal in determining head posture and habitat preference has been challenged.[13] Proterosuchus was a predator, but the specifics of its diet are not known. It has been suggested to have eaten fish or the abundant contemporary dicynodont Lystrosaurus.

Concerning the scientific accuracy of the animals, they don't seem to have many big mistakes. There are quite a few representations of Lystrosaurus, maybe avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  can tell us more?

In Proterosuchus, the end of the snout so particular is well represented.

Unfortunately, the scene was produced in only 45 copies (40 painted and 5 unpainted). It sold out very quickly in China, so quickly in fact, that there were no models available outside China. It was therefore unavailable and I did not have the chance to buy it at the time. I had to wait more than a year for my contact in China to finally find me a model already painted for sale! This one finally arrived at home a few days before Christmas!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's have a closer look at the sculpture itself.

The whole thing is 66 cm, which is a big size (scale : 1/10). The texture of the land part is relatively coarse although the earthy-muddy aspect, mixed with rocks, is still well reproduced. Note that the base of my copy is very slightly curved on the bottom, which makes the fit with the water part not totally perfect.

The water is well painted, with a nice effect of muddy water with a dominant green color, typical of a river in the warm climate of Pangea, probably not very deep and poor in oxygen, like those that flow today in the heart of the Serengeti.
Splash and foam/moss effects could have been added or better managed, as the painter Martin Garratt did on another example.

The color of the crocodilian is as one would expect, very much inspired by the actual species. Classic but works wonderfully, I would have more difficulty to imagine other color schemes for these animals.

Concerning the Lystrosaurus, the grey tint is also very classic and sober, but it's still very unlikely that these animals had very bright colors!

The sculpting and painting details are of a high standard, as always with SenSen. What is most striking in this set is the effect of surprise and terror that the sculptor managed to give to the herbivores. The expression of the totally panicked Lystrosaurus, especially those on the shore, is very successful!

The scene is full of life, it is a real snapshot and we can easily imagine the movements, especially those of the Lystrosaurus sliding inexorably towards the water and the jaws of the predator.

This scene is certainly a masterpiece !

THE ++ :
Shows not very well known species and older than dinosaurs (sculptures or figurines of non-Dinosaur prehistoric animals are finally rare)

Limited edition : N° 12/45
Year: 2021 (sold out)
Materials : Resin
Size : 66x27x22 cm
Sculpture and painting : SenSen

I don't know if it would be interesting to have the review on the website, if ever, you can publish it on the site. Sorry also for the writing, I am French so I write with the help of the translator Deepl

Interesting fact: you read under the base the supposed presence of a Moschorhinus (x1). This one was never added to the scene, so it is not an oversight, there was no place for it in the box. Weird.

ceratopsian

It's a magnificent model - but then so are many of SenSen's - thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us.  I have a fondness for Lystrosaurus but decided against chasing this simply because of the size. I no longer have the space for big things. If only it had been just the high bank with the Lystrosaurus and part of the Chasmatosaurus at the base.....  (Having said that, I have Set A and Set B of SenSen's current river offering and plan to get Set C when it comes out.)

When Martin painted my Einiosaurus diorama by SenSen, the bases didn't fit together properly.  He managed to make an adjustment and joined them permanently.

You are fortunate to have a Chinese contact to search things out for you! In answer to avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono's question, I source my SenSen models via Dinosaur Darkroom on Facebook.  But clearly paleochris has other options!

Your translator did a really good job, by the way.

postsaurischian

:o Gulp! SenSen's Lystrosaurus vs Chasmatosaurus is just breathtaking!! I can't believe what I see here!
 I have just a few of SenSen's smaller ceatures and I love them a lot. He's fabulous :)

What a nice Harpy eagle statue you have :) I'd love to see the Lee Sculpture Studio Kingfisher (if there is one)!

Libraraptor

The room, the ensemble of models, everything is stunning and breathtaking. Top notch collection. What a magnificient diorama, too!

paleochris

Lufengosaurus VS Sinosaurus

Another famous kit from SenSen, which was presented for sale in 2020.

It depicts an act of predation between two Sinosaurus and a Lufengosaurus during the Lower Jurassic, about 195 MA ago in China.

Sinosaurus is a predator of more than 5 m belonging to the genus Dilophosaurus. Dilophosaurus sinensis is a synonym.

Lufengosaurus was a peaceful sauropodomorph herbivore of 6 m long. It was often thought that Lufengosaurus was very similar to the European Plateosaurus. However, new work has proven that these two species were very different and that Lufengosaurus was closer to Massospondylus.

The scene is 52 cm and represents the animals at a scale of 1/18-1/20. It was offered either already painted (40 copies) or unpainted (10 copies) for only 50 pieces in total. I bought an unpainted version, the N°39. I had it painted by Ben Van Steenberge (BVS Artworks)

Let's look at this sculpture in more detail:

Despite the long neck of Lufengosaurus, the scene stretches rather long, as the animal is already almost lying down. Wounded, it seems to have a broken leg and a Sinosaurus does not hesitate to jump on its prey, digging its claws deeply into its flesh.

In order for the Sinosaurus to hold on perfectly, a magnet has been integrated under its paw and in the "wound". At the price of a small pressure on the paw, this one can be perfectly positioned but it is strongly recommended never to remove it afterwards, a claw, even the foot or the whole leg could then break!

The second Sinosaurus is more passive, observing the scene on the side, ready to intervene if the Lufengosaurus showed a renewed energy to save itself. This second Sinosaurus was also available in a single kit.

The details are worthy of Sen Sen's works, very fine, neat, and faithful to the scientific representations of the animals. The still rather primitive teeth of Lufengosaurus are present, as well as the claws on the legs, which are not yet those of the Middle and Upper Jurassic Sauropods. The ridges of the Sinosaurus seem to be correct, perhaps quite large. The attacking Sinosaurus has a slightly larger crest, which might suggest a male.
The arms and hands seem to be very slightly prone on the second Sinosaurus but this is far from the JP style representations. The small indentation on the upper jaw of the Dilophosauridae is obviously visible.  Finally, the effects of wounds on the skin of Lufengosaurus are very well done.

BVS Artworks did a fantastic job on the painting. I wanted a result that was close to the original, but it's true that the painting of the Lufengosaurus was a bit simple and dull. So Ben made it a little more complex with gray and brown tones mixed in on many of the patterns.

The Sinosaurus have warmer and brighter colors, with a predominantly green body and an orange head that turns bright red and blue hues on the male crest! A sexual dimorphism has been represented here via the color of the crest. Small black stripes run across the neck, back and tail of both Sinosaurus.

Blood is abundant in the wounds and even flows a little to the ground, adding realism to the scene, which also slightly hides the inlay of the paw in the body of the Lufengosaurus.

THE ++
You can never have enough early Jurassic dinosaurs!

Limited edition: N° 39/50
Year: 2020 (sold out)
Materials : Resin
Scale : 1/18-1/20
Sculpture : SenSen and painting : BVS

SidB

Truly, "nature red in tooth and claw". No room for romanticist sentimentalism here.

ceratopsian

Ben's work on the Lufengosaurus is highly effective.

Halichoeres

The Lystrosaurus set is masterful. The oddly tall face and short braincase of Lystrosaurus, compared with later dicynodonts, shines through nicely.

The base refers to a Moschorhinus, is that a separate model?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: