You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you have a fear of touching your figures?

Started by Lynx, October 27, 2021, 02:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Recently, I've had this certain fear of touching my PNSO and Safari figures, they rarely ever move from the shelves and I always skimp over them when doing photoshoots. Occasionally, I like to play around with my figures outside, and unfortunately, the Safari figures sit in the bag as I use my cheaper Mattel and Papo figures. I've begun to use Winter Wilson more and am not as afraid of touching and using them, but the fear of laying it on something like dirt is still there. For some odd reason, I have a deep fear of my figures getting damaged, even if it's just a small paint scratch.

So that brings me to the question: Are any of you collectors and reviewers out there afraid of touching/handling your figures? As for the younger members of the forum, are you afraid of using some figures in any form of play or just skits you make up in your head?
An oversized house cat.

Libraraptor

Frankly speaking, no, I do not know such a fear these days.

But with my first Invictas 30 or so years ago, which were very precious to me, I definitely had it. I was in awe due to their scientific appeal they had compared to the toy character of my figures I had been used to to that point.

Bread

I don't take my figures outside, so dirt and other outside items avoid my figures. Maybe in the future I'll take them outside for photos? But at the moment weather needs to get a little dryer and cooler.

I do in fact wash my hands before touching any of my models. So I guess you can say I am afraid of touching my figures if I do not wash my hands.

Gwangi

It depends on the figure, its value, fragility, and rarity. For most of my collection, no, I don't worry about handling them. I even let my daughter play with a lot of them but in those instances I do quietly worry about paint scuffs. I don't worry about dirt because that can be easily washed away.

Lanthanotus

No, none at all.

As can be seen in my several threads or reviews I like to take any of my figures outside to shoot, no matter what material, price, value, company or whatever they belong to. In addition I in fact like to handle the figures now and then, especially those displayed on my desk. Last but not least, my now 7 year old son is and always was allowed to handle and play with my figures. Not always, he needs to ask and "borrows" them for a time, but he in fact learned to handle them carefully from the start and treat them with care and respect. As of yet there are no casualties :)

I may add to this that I like to customize figures and do not refrain from touching up any figure that either comes with scuffs (or gets them from handling) or that just does not fit perfectly into my view of how it should look :)

paintingdinos

If its a plastic figure I don't mind at all. Even things that are a little more delicate like the BoTM figures (which seem to be prone to paint chipping) got thrown in the dirt to take some photos when I first got them.

On the flip, I live in fear of my resin models. I still sometimes do silly things like take them outside for photos, but like a true weirdo I wrap them in blankets and walk on eggshells whenever they are being moved.

Duna

No, not really. I like to handle my figures a lot, and I mean A LOT. That's why 99% of them are on display for easy access. I love the texture, the touch, I turn them in all positions to have a good look at them (that's why I don't collect figures with fixed bases). I don't mind if they are 60-70 year old figures as the Linde, Ovomaltine, Marx ... or if they are my newer PNSO.
My 5 year old girls are allowed to handle them as well (some that are fragile only under my supervision, for example the Starlux collection that is very very fragile) but they are allowed to play all by themselves with my Papo, Safari and Collecta figures. They play carefully. If any paint damage happens (not the case) I don't mind at all because I'm good at mixing and finding the exact color so I can repair it. In fact, the only damages I have had with the paint have been with the Eofauna figures and my children didn't even handle them. I just dropped them to the floor  :))

SidB

Quote from: Bread on October 27, 2021, 04:06:57 PM
I don't take my figures outside, so dirt and other outside items avoid my figures. Maybe in the future I'll take them outside for photos? But at the moment weather needs to get a little dryer and cooler.

I do in fact wash my hands before touching any of my models. So I guess you can say I am afraid of touching my figures if I do not wash my hands.
Definitely wash my hands also, don't want oils to damage the paints.

Bokisaurus

Very fascinating! Since most of my collection are now in storage I don't get to touch them much unless I need to photograph them.

No, I absolutely don't have fear of touching my models 🤣
If you look at my reviews on the blog, you will see that I take them on trips with me and take photos of them in various locations.

You might be interested in checking out my Behind the Scenes thread and see what I mean, you might even be horrified by some of the places I placed my beloved model 🤣

BlueKrono

I feel much the same as avatar_Duna @Duna. Toys are meant to be enjoyed as a part of your everyday life. The only things I get a little nervous are my polystone statues. They're so delicate they make resin seem like rubber. I'm the only person I trust to move them.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

I have no fear of touching my plastic models - though I'm careful.  I'm much more nervous about touching/moving my resins, as they are so fragile.

SenSx

Oh I 100% share your feelings Lynx.

I don't like touching my figures, and I have little reason to anyway.
I'm scared of damaging them, but also because I am paranoid, I can't stand a little issue on my figures, to the point I only see that on it and can't stop thinking of anything else if I lay my eyes on it...
And since those figures are handpainted and sent from the other side of the world, the quality varies, and many of my possesson to not reach the perfect state I expect from them.
I started trying to accept that, as if they were all unique, and like human beings, they have flaws.
The good thing is that I paint a little, and always try to correct the paint defects and rubs I can, but you cannot fix everything...

But right now I'm a bit pissed with my Nanmmu Once and Future King, its right eye has a barely painted pupil and I don't think I will dare using some paint here...

I of course would NEVER bring my figures outside.

Shonisaurus

Honestly when it comes to PVC or vinyl figures I'm not afraid. On the other hand, in my resin figures I prefer not to touch them, I am afraid that they will break but I am usually a very careful person, so sometimes I have taken these figures made of resin or of high quality material and I have not had unpleasant mishaps since to date I have not I have not broken any figure except Favorite's dilophosaurus de dinostoreus, which was broken due to a carelessness of my room and whose repair by the conservation service of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid caused me a significant financial expense.

In general terms you have to be careful because even a PVC figure can break as happened with Carnegie's velociraptor (the latest version) I had to replace it by buying two new figures twice because on two occasions unfortunately after an accidental fall of one shelf broke one of my toes.

On the other hand, PVC or vinyl figures must be careful not only for breaks (many are made of rigid plastic) but also that they suffer serious abrasion problems from falling, which is as much as breaking said figure.

But being careful and orderly, no figure is broken normally, although the breaking of replicas of prehistoric animals is often inevitable and often alien to the collector. I usually put the most valuable or most prone to breaking figures in safer shelving areas and those that I consider less loved figures I leave in vulnerable areas sometimes at the forefront of the shelves, unfortunately hiding the most beautiful and valuable figures in my collection.

Lynx

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 28, 2021, 04:43:58 AM
Very fascinating! Since most of my collection are now in storage I don't get to touch them much unless I need to photograph them.

No, I absolutely don't have fear of touching my models 🤣
If you look at my reviews on the blog, you will see that I take them on trips with me and take photos of them in various locations.

You might be interested in checking out my Behind the Scenes thread and see what I mean, you might even be horrified by some of the places I placed my beloved model 🤣

Pff, I remember reading your review of the PNSO Biber and Rook, then freaking out because you dipped them in water for one of the pictures!😆
An oversized house cat.

Cretaceous Crab

Generally, no. I usually carry around a different one in the evenings.  I'm not entirely sure, I just like to.

Now, high-end resin models and repaints, I typically do not handle those

Fembrogon

To be quite honest, if I was afraid of touching my figures, I wouldn't be buying them in the first place. I WANT to handle and play with my figures; that's a key aspect in my joy of collecting.
That's why I don't pay attention to resin models; I don't want figures I feel required to secure behind glass.

Mellow Stego

Not really. I enjoying taking them out for photography and just rearranging them on the shelves. I'm of course not rough with them and I take extra when messing around with the more fragile models. 

That being said I do have a extra 2019 Safari Stegosaurus just for display. I notice it tends to scuff way to easily and that happens to be my favorite.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Abobo

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.