News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ingenia`s sculpts: now digital (and a question)

Started by ingenia, March 18, 2012, 08:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wings

Quote from: ingenia on September 17, 2012, 06:13:40 PM
Just  to avoid mistakes in the future: can someone give me an overview which dinosaur groups did have pronated hands and which didn`t ?
The simple answer would be they vary, even within the same group. Perhaps you should read this paper (http://www.2shared.com/document/xN_pnhXY/Forelimb_Biomechanics_of_Nonav.html) first. This paper by Carpenter is mainly about theropods. Then the next one you should probably read is Bonnan's (http://www.2shared.com/document/s4sgcSoa/bonnansauropodmanus1.html) on early theropod(?), prosauropods and sauropods. After you got through this you should have an understanding of what this "pronated hands" problem is about. As for ornithischians, there is a paper on Camptosaurus (http://www.2shared.com/document/ZAAk5T_D/camptosaurus.html) and a paper on basal ceratopsians (http://www.2shared.com/document/jYEeOEUP/Basal_ceratopsian_forelimb_fun.html
). In general, none of the "dinosaurs" have the ability to rotate their lower arms, unlike ours, their elbows are just simple hinge joints (we can flex our lower arms like hinge joints at the same time we can rotate our radii and pronate or supinate our hands). There are ways to get around this so their palms could face backwards, one way is by having the radii wrap around the ulnae like the elephants which means they have their "hands" permanently pronated (palms face to the back) as in Protoceratops (see link above). This condition is also found in some hadrosaurians as well (http://www.esacademic.com/pictures/eswiki/80/Pasta_-_mummified_trachodon_-_AmMusNatHist.jpg and http://blog.hmns.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/leo-in-chamber-delin2.jpg). On the hand, dromaeosaurs does rotate their wrists slightly when they stretch out their arms (http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1671/0272-4634%282006%2926%5B897%3ACOFFBD%5D2.0.CO%3B2?journalCode=vrpa, figure 7) due to their semi-lunar shaped wrists. Even modern birds today have ability to rotate their wrists during flight strokes.

It's unfortunate but it seems you probably have to do some research on the particular animal every time you are working on a new model.

ingenia

Does anybody else post pictures with photobucket? I just saw that all pictures of my thread disappeared and on my photobucket profile they are depicted mostly as blank ones.
I hope this will be corrected soon, a sculpture thread doesn`t make much sense without pictures.

Edit: I just saw on the photobucket page that they mentioned server problems, so hopefully it will return to normal soon.

ingenia

Update on the Rugops

Progress is slow at the moment, will be faster when the arms are attached. I changed the arms to the typical  very short abelisaurid form, so they are much shorter than the previous sculpted versions (and the hand movement is right this time)

It is based on modern skeletal reconstructions of Rugops, as the whole sculpture is.

Progress on the neck, the underjaw and parts of the throat.I really like how the brown, black and white coloring combined turned out to look.

The head/neck part is now added to the body form

brontodocus

Spectacular! :) I can't wait to see it finished. One thing I was just thinking about: How do you manage that none of the scales fall off? Are they attached with epoxy?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on October 07, 2012, 02:23:27 PM
Spectacular! :) I can't wait to see it finished. One thing I was just thinking about: How do you manage that none of the scales fall off? Are they attached with epoxy?
I think they ARE epoxy. They're on top of another layer of flat epoxy, which bonds itself to the Styrofoam.

brontodocus

D'oh! :o ;D I've just seen it, it's Apoxie Sculpt, apparently. Somehow I still had their very first sculptures in mind (on DTF v.1) which were made from air drying clay if I remember correctly.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Balaur

Quote from: ingenia on October 07, 2012, 12:32:43 PM
Update on the Rugops

Progress is slow at the moment, will be faster when the arms are attached. I changed the arms to the typical  very short abelisaurid form, so they are much shorter than the previous sculpted versions (and the hand movement is right this time)

It is based on modern skeletal reconstructions of Rugops, as the whole sculpture is.

Progress on the neck, the underjaw and parts of the throat.I really like how the brown, black and white coloring combined turned out to look.

The head/neck part is now added to the body form

Yeah! Correct arms makes me very happy!  ^-^ Great Job!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Still looks very awesome even with the changes and of course it's probably more accurate as well now too.  Still can't get over all the details you have in there. :)

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gryphoceratops

alexeratops

Quote from: ingenia on September 18, 2012, 07:32:29 PM
Does anybody else post pictures with photobucket? I just saw that all pictures of my thread disappeared and on my photobucket profile they are depicted mostly as blank ones.
I hope this will be corrected soon, a sculpture thread doesn`t make much sense without pictures.

Edit: I just saw on the photobucket page that they mentioned server problems, so hopefully it will return to normal soon.
I use photobucket. :) By the way, great Rugops and, do you look at my drawings? :-[
like a bantha!

ingenia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 02:29:22 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on October 07, 2012, 02:23:27 PM
I think they ARE epoxy. They're on top of another layer of flat epoxy, which bonds itself to the Styrofoam.

Thanks, it is exactly as tyrantqueen described it.

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on October 08, 2012, 01:00:58 AM
So cool.  Love how the pattern is coming along.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 07, 2012, 07:02:13 PM
Very cool :)! I can't wait to see it finished.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 07, 2012, 06:02:26 PM
Still looks very awesome even with the changes and of course it's probably more accurate as well now too.  Still can't get over all the details you have in there. :)

Thanks for the comments, always makes it easier to continue  with this project!

Quote from: alexeratops on October 12, 2012, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: ingenia on September 18, 2012, 07:32:29 PM

I use photobucket. :) By the way, great Rugops and, do you look at my drawings? :-[

Of course am I looking at your drawings! I check the dinosaur art section every day, so I know what you are doing and I just can say keep up the good work.No need fo a sad smiley ::), I just didn`t wrote a lot of comments because I am mainly checking the site with my ipad,which always logs me out when I am clicking at a thread, so I am not able to comment with it.

ingenia

I wanted to tell everyone who looked at this thread that I decided to quit sculpting about two weeks ago.This means  that not only the Rugops will stay unfinished, but also that there will be no more other sculptures by me. The reason for my decision is that I am having some health problems for nearly 6 months now, I went to many doctors who couldn`t find the reason for these problems.I asked my family doctor on my last visit if it could be affected by my contact with the epoxy material, and although he said it is unlikely, he couldn`t rule it out completely.
I don`t think my health is affected by the sculpting work, but as much fun as it was in the last three years, now I would always have the thoughts about risking my health, so there is no more fun.
It was a sad decision, but I just had to make it.
Just as information, it is nothing drastic or dangerous, it just gets on my nerves.
With this post I would like to say thanks for all the comments and the interest, for the nice words and the always fair criticism.
It also means basically the end of this thread, but I will try to create paleoart in a different way.

sauroid

sad news for all of us who love your work. i hope you get well soon btw.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

This is sad news for the paleoart community :'(

I wish you luck with whatever artistic endeavours you undergo in future :)

Gryphoceratops

That is very sad to hear but at least we can always enjoy what you have already created.  I look forward to see what other kind of art you can come up with!

alexeratops

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
like a bantha!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: alexeratops on October 30, 2012, 12:58:31 AM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wow, mature ::)

Ingenia, I guess you'll be keeping all your sculptures? ;D

alexeratops

like a bantha!

brontodocus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: