News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ingenia`s sculpts: now digital (and a question)

Started by ingenia, March 18, 2012, 08:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ingenia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 10, 2012, 05:06:57 PM
This is nice :) I like your use of colours. If you made sculptures in 1/40 scale I would totally buy them XD

How long have you been sculpting btw? Are you self taught?

Thank you very much. I started sculpting early in 2010 and  joined the DTF in march of the same year. I watched some internet tutorials, but it is mostly self taught and I am learning with every sculpture I make.I still see me in a learning process, there is a lot to improve.

postsaurischian

:o  Started sculpting in 2010? I have to say you're very talented, really!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Agreed !

You know, if not too much trouble. I would love to see a short video of how you go about doing at least a part of one of these.

Is the apoxie sculpt you use weatherproof ? I wonder if I could use this on my own pieces and it would hold outdoors. Hmmmm.

Jetoar

Magnificent Rugops Ingenia! :). You are a great artist and you are talented. You would work in a museum  :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ingenia

Quote from: Jetoar on August 12, 2012, 11:36:59 AM
Magnificent Rugops Ingenia! :). You are a great artist and you are talented. You would work in a museum  :).

Thanks!  :))

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 12, 2012, 09:43:32 AM
:o  Started sculpting in 2010? I have to say you're very talented, really!!

Thanks! ;D

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 12, 2012, 10:59:46 AM
Agreed !

You know, if not too much trouble. I would love to see a short video of how you go about doing at least a part of one of these.

Is the apoxie sculpt you use weatherproof ? I wonder if I could use this on my own pieces and it would hold outdoors. Hmmmm.

It is mentioned at the package that apoxie is weatherproof, so I think you could use it for sure, it is solid as a rock.
I don`t know if I have the time or the knowledge to make a good video, but it is a possibility, I just can`t promise this.

Here are pictures of the Rugops body, cutted out of plates of styrofoam.It is only the rough form, to get a feeling for the shape of the animal and to know more about the dimensions.Arms and legs will be sculpted first, so parts of the styrofoam have to be cutted out again so that everything fits and I can add shoulders etc.

Sorry for the image quality

I think I will start with the arms next, hopefully next week.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looking good ! I can already see the possibilities there !

No promises needed bud, would just like to see your technique in action for my own reference. :)

Will definitely be checking out the apoxie then..what brand do you get and where if I may ask ?

Your base material is foam right ? I wonder how well it would stick to vinyl ?  Sorry for all the questions just keep getting ideas..lol

tyrantqueen

Your sculpting style kinda reminds me of Truett Garner's art, particularly the way you sculpt scales :)

Wait....you're not Truett Garner, are you? XDDD

ingenia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 18, 2012, 07:54:12 AM
Your sculpting style kinda reminds me of Truett Garner's art, particularly the way you sculpt scales :)

Wait....you're not Truett Garner, are you? XDDD

No I am not! ^-^
It is the first time I see these pictures, but your right, the style looks a bit similiar.

Jetoar

I look forward to see your Rugops ended :). Good working!.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just the same really detailed style..doing every scale is a pain but looks really cool. Melissa does similar pieces as well in her art style :

I love all the detail ! ;D

ingenia

A little update today. Not much progress, it is more about making design choices than to really work on the sculpture at the moment.
So as the sculpture will be based mainly on the drawing of Todd Marshall (he makes great designs!), I decided to make the arms not as Carnotaurus-like as sometimes depicted.No bones were found, and as Rugops lived about 20 million years earlier, it could be possible he had stronger arms than later Abelisaurs, although I chose this design mainly because it looks better and is more fun to sculpt.
this picture was a test with the rough form of one arm, cutted out of styrofoam.

And here is a first progress on the hand.

Next are some pictures of an unfinished Citipati bust my brother was working on, but I have to say he lost the passion for this one so there is not a big chance it will ever be finished.

It is a really nice design, but sculpting all the feathers seems to be a pain, and he already cutted off about 75% of the former planned neck

As always thanks for watching! :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: ingenia on September 02, 2012, 08:04:46 AM
A little update today. Not much progress, it is more about making design choices than to really work on the sculpture at the moment.
So as the sculpture will be based mainly on the drawing of Todd Marshall (he makes great designs!), I decided to make the arms not as Carnotaurus-like as sometimes depicted.No bones were found, and as Rugops lived about 20 million years earlier, it could be possible he had stronger arms than later Abelisaurs, although I chose this design mainly because it looks better and is more fun to sculpt.
this picture was a test with the rough form of one arm, cutted out of styrofoam.

And here is a first progress on the hand.

Very cool! Also I too am a huge Todd Marshall fan, I really like his spinosaurs however inaccurate they may be. I also wanted to ask, are there four fingers on that hand because that is one thing wrong about his Rugops, they only have three fingers. Here is one of his Rugops drawings with correct hands.

[attachment msg=17540][/attachment]

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

ingenia

Compared to Carnotaurus it makes sense that Rugops also had four fingers, so I sculpted the hand with four, although the fourth finger can`t be seen on the photo because of the angle.The fourth finger will have no claw, could have been possible that even the first didn`t have one.

Jetoar

Beautiful Oviraptor. I would like to find cristal eyes from my sculptures  ^-^.

Balaur

Quote from: ingenia on September 02, 2012, 08:04:46 AM
Next are some pictures of an unfinished Citipati bust my brother was working on, but I have to say he lost the passion for this one so there is not a big chance it will ever be finished.

It is a really nice design, but sculpting all the feathers seems to be a pain, and he already cutted off about 75% of the former planned neck

As always thanks for watching! :)

Noooo! That looks so beautiful! Maybe there is another easier way of making the feathers?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Todd Marshall is one of my favorite artists, hence the spikey-look many of my dinos sport.  It's really looking nice so far..very fierce ! :)

The Citipati looks VERY nice..I'm determined to get some of this epoxy and give it a go eventually. ;)  I also wish I could make taxidermy-style eyes for my pieces.

BTW, you have to sell me something eventually.. ;D lol

Weaver

I wish to see the Cipati finished. I adore how it looks so far. <3

ingenia

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 02, 2012, 05:53:03 PM
Todd Marshall is one of my favorite artists, hence the spikey-look many of my dinos sport.  It's really looking nice so far..very fierce ! :)

The Citipati looks VERY nice..I'm determined to get some of this epoxy and give it a go eventually. ;)  I also wish I could make taxidermy-style eyes for my pieces.

BTW, you have to sell me something eventually.. ;D lol

Blade, have you ever visited the avesstudio.com website? There you can find the Apoxie Sculpt which I use, although as a european I don`t buy it from this site directly.The shop I am buying is a german one who sells normally to people who are sculpting and collecting model horses. (I think it is strange that someone would make a model horse when you could instead make a dinosaur! :o)
The eyes can be found in special taxidermist shops, the price for a pair is between 10-20 € depending on the size, so I guess you can find some in the U.S: as well.

Himmapaan

Quote from: ingenia on September 03, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
The shop I am buying is a german one who sells normally to people who are sculpting and collecting model horses. (I think it is strange that someone would make a model horse when you could instead make a dinosaur! :o)
In case it may have escaped your notice, I happen to enjoy both (among many other things)!  ;D

ingenia

Quote from: Himmapaan on September 03, 2012, 06:42:34 PM
Quote from: ingenia on September 03, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
In case it may have escaped your notice, I happen to enjoy both (among many other things)!  ;D

But you have to admit dinosaurs are cooler! ::)
Dinosaurs:Teeth,claws,spikes,feathers,cool colors,scales
Horses:   :-\

Collecting and sculpting is always great, it makes no difference if its horses or dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: