News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Are the arms on the Herrerasaurus better or worse?
I'm just amazed it has proper lips. Such a simple change makes it look so much better, and the raptors have always had lips since day 1 so this has been a long time coming.

I'm really liking the more natural colourations, too! This is going to be a REALLY weird year for the line, I think. Indo coming back randomly, tons of super weird species choices, camo xtreme version 2... I'm excited.

MLMjp

The new Herrerasaurus is an improvement for sure, but unlesss they repaint it in more red-ish colors (a la JP the game) I'll stick to the old one, it may be a bit ugly but it has it's own charm.

Pliosaurking

I actually quite like the herreasaurus sculpt.
I also kinda like the paint scheme

Nyrorosaurus

The Herrerasaurus is a surprising and welcome update for the most part (I personally feel the original sculpt is one of the line's worst). I believe this sculpt's hands are actually a downgrade from the original's, though, as I'm sure it's supposed to have more fingers

Gwangi

That Herrerasaurus is a huge improvement over the original, which I never liked and never bothered to get. And since I was never able to find the Zuni I suppose I'll get this re-paint of that one.

Thialfi

They made a carnivor with lips?! Wow.

MLMjp

Quote from: Thialfi on August 27, 2022, 04:13:06 PMThey made a carnivor with lips?! Wow.
The Troodon figure also had lips. And there also the film species with lips such as Velociraptors, Atrociraptors and Dilophosaurus (one of the savage strike molds has them).

Shadowknight1

More Captivz??  I can't even get the one I wanted!  Like, I have never seen the larger eggs that had the larger Pyroraptor, Giga, or Baryonyx.  I really wanted that Pyroraptor, too.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Faelrin

I saw this newest batch of figures late last night but was too tired to add the images here, sorry. I remember seeing the Herrerasaurus earlier when it was leaked and having an inkling of that it could be this, but it was hard for me to consider it actually being this then because they've never completely redesigned one of their older species out of the blue like this. Even the Dominion Dimetrodon is a retool over their original one.

Aside from tiny gripes like the fenestra is a tiny bit too long and shrink wrapped, the third digit on the hand should be the longest, and there may or may not have been a nub for the fifth toe in life (which is excluded here), I think this is the best Herrerasaurus on the market currently (although I do hope a more accurate one comes along some day, and as one of the most well known early dinosaurs it is so strange it is neglected). Proportions are good (feet, and tail aside), head shape is decent, and it has lips, which aside from the Troodon and film canon species (Pyroraptor excluded unfortunately). Just wow.

Like others I would have preferred a Telltale game coloration, but this is still decent, and almost looks like a mix of some skin options in JWE or JWE2. It looks like a nice contrast with the reduced paint budget as well.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Would you consider replacing your older one with this one or would you rather wait for a more accurate alternative to come along?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on August 27, 2022, 05:39:47 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Would you consider replacing your older one with this one or would you rather wait for a more accurate alternative to come along?
Mine is the Happy Meal version of Schleich's Herrerasaurus, which is much less ugly than the standard version. This one is pretty nice by Mattel standards, so I'll definitely consider it. I'd have to read up a little on Herrerasaurus itself to see which is the least worst.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 27, 2022, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on August 27, 2022, 05:39:47 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Would you consider replacing your older one with this one or would you rather wait for a more accurate alternative to come along?
Mine is the Happy Meal version of Schleich's Herrerasaurus, which is much less ugly than the standard version. This one is pretty nice by Mattel standards, so I'll definitely consider it. I'd have to read up a little on Herrerasaurus itself to see which is the least worst.

Might be worth watching the YDAW video on Herrerasaurus.

suspsy

That Genyodectes is cool despite being purely speculative.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Thialfi

Quote from: MLMjp on August 27, 2022, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on August 27, 2022, 04:13:06 PMThey made a carnivor with lips?! Wow.
The Troodon figure also had lips. And there also the film species with lips such as Velociraptors, Atrociraptors and Dilophosaurus (one of the savage strike molds has them).
Ah cool, I am not following Mattel too closely, good to hear they don't shy away from lips! I'm going to check out those figures, thanks.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on August 27, 2022, 09:40:27 PMThat Genyodectes is cool despite being purely speculative.

There's one out now that's part of the Extreme Damage line. It has a much better paint job, but also those unsightly slash marks.

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on August 27, 2022, 01:39:20 PMThe Herrerasaurus is a surprising and welcome update for the most part (I personally feel the original sculpt is one of the line's worst). I believe this sculpt's hands are actually a downgrade from the original's, though, as I'm sure it's supposed to have more fingers
Wanted to correct my previous post. Saw this Twitter thread (https://twitter.com/KingRexy328/status/1564004955614224387) explaining that though Herrerasaurus had five fingers on each manus, only three of those would've been visible in life. So that's another point in this figure's favor. I do generally like this resculpt, though the head (especially the dentition) probably doesn't look as much like Herrerasaurus' as I would like.

Dilopho

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

Hot take I Quite like it.
I know it's not accurate, but personally I like the design and the paint job

Dilopho

I like the sculpt and paint job too, but without those sideways spines it's really lacking

This is yet another moment like the majunga's horn being interpreted as a crest. They must only look at side views.

Gwangi

If they had at least gotten the head right I could have stomached the rest, but alas. The pattern and colors are cool though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: