News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repainted Favorite Co. Allosaurus W.I.P.

Started by earth108, October 30, 2015, 07:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earth108

Hi guys,

I've made a W.I.P. of repainting a dinosaur toy. This is one of my Favorite Co. commissioned works.
This is a great figure sculpted by Kazunari araki. The material is quite rubbery and oily. I think that the production details could be better if it was made by alternate casting materials but hey, This is a toy right? :)) 

Ok. I started with a grey primer sprayed all over the figure. The details showed up pretty good. Anyway, this is an oily material and even a good primer spray couldn't attach well so I had to spray this figure several layers.

Next, I painted the whole figure with a tan+cream+white as a base colour.

earth108

Time for painting pattern. :) I used olive green mixed with a touch of black to draw an outline. I started with a thin layer.
You can add more intense tone later. Noted that I tried a red colour on hand and foot.

I applied more green layers to make more intense pattern and applied spots with black grey. The spots were parts of a pattern. I dotted them partially to see the progress and if it was ok I moved to other section.

earth108

Ok guys! That's for now. I'll keep update more progress. Feel free to leave comments! :) 

amargasaurus cazaui

This is one of my favorite (get the pun) theropod models so I will be watching closely..I like what you are doing with this
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

:D Great start.
Look, how beautiful it can be!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

earth108

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 30, 2015, 03:17:17 PM
Looks really good! You use a spray primer?

Yes. I used automotive spray primer can. It gives great coverage and fine surface but you really need to shake it well. :)

earth108

Guys, here are updates.

After I spotted through the whole pattern, I gave a wash of light brown colour on a whole figure. This could tie the overall colour together. Then I added a blending of pink flesh on the neck and recess areas on the flesh.

More dots on the face and it's time to make up ;D I started red highlights on a specific points on the face.

earth108

Nearly there ;)

Red patterns on hands and feet. Shading on the face.

And there she is! After I gave her a red tail, matt vanish was applied all over the figure. Then gloss vanish was added to eyes, nostrils, auditory canals  and inside the mouth.

earth108

Another side of Allie. The base was seperately custom and painted. I'd take more detailed photos in different views when the base is finished. ^-^

She was fun to paint. I'm really enjoy working on Favorite's soft model series. Anyway, She can't stand on her own so that's the reason I decided to custom her own base instead of making a new one to make sure that her feet can perfectly fit the base.   

Thank you for you guys to check on this W.I.P. Hope you like it! All comments welcome. :)

Kovu

That is amazing dude! It looks very lifelike!

A.Garcia

Thanks for sharing these pictures. While the older Favorite Allosaurus is one of my favorite theropod figures, I never really cared for this one (based on pictures). Your repainting is making me look closer, though. You did a beautiful job- the subtle coloration and especially the detailed spotting really bring her to life. I'm curious- what matte varnish did you use? It looks nice on the pictures.

Alexa

This is really inspiring! Pleaso do more wips!  ;D

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

joossa

Great work and thanks for sharing your progression. I really like your custom style. It injects a breath of realism to the figures you work on. Congrats! :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Megalosaurus

I love the way you are sharing your customization process.
Great paintjob.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

earth108

Quote from: Kovu on October 31, 2015, 06:35:35 PM
That is amazing dude! It looks very lifelike!

Thank you very much Kovu. :)

Quote from: A.Garcia on October 31, 2015, 06:46:47 PM
Thanks for sharing these pictures. While the older Favorite Allosaurus is one of my favorite theropod figures, I never really cared for this one (based on pictures). Your repainting is making me look closer, though. You did a beautiful job- the subtle coloration and especially the detailed spotting really bring her to life. I'm curious- what matte varnish did you use? It looks nice on the pictures.

Thank you very much A.Garcia. It is actually a flat lacquer spray from leyland. It's an automotive spray can that required a lot of shaking since it's pigment is very thick but it really gives you a nice result. ^-^

Quote from: Alexa on October 31, 2015, 09:22:32 PM
This is really inspiring! Pleaso do more wips!  ;D

Thank you Alexa. I'll look forward for more W.I.P.s. ;)

Quote from: Jetoar on October 31, 2015, 09:56:33 PM
Awesome job  :o.

Thank you very much! ;D

earth108

Quote from: joossa on October 31, 2015, 10:33:44 PM
Great work and thanks for sharing your progression. I really like your custom style. It injects a breath of realism to the figures you work on. Congrats! :)

Thank you very much joosa. I'm glad you like it! ;D.

Quote from: Megalosaurus on November 01, 2015, 04:12:47 AM
I love the way you are sharing your customization process.
Great paintjob.

Thank you Megalosaurus. It took time for me to do W.I.P. like this because I had to stop at every steps to set the camera and light for taking photos then came back to paint. Anyway, It gave worth results. ^-^

Quote from: Dinomike on November 01, 2015, 09:59:37 AM
Wow! That is really impressive!
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2015, 10:11:44 PM
Outstanding

Thank you for your cheerful comments Dinomike and Halichoeres. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: