News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun: New for 2022

Started by Takama, December 25, 2021, 05:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Personally, I don't think Latimeria has any place on the DTB. Yeah, I know the whole history behind its discovery and the misleading concept of "living fossils," but the simple fact of the matter is that it is neither prehistoric nor extinct (yet). It doesn't belong here any more than the alligator or the tuatara or the goblin shark does.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2022, 03:27:50 AM
Personally, I don't think Latimeria has any place on the DTB. Yeah, I know the whole history behind its discovery and the misleading concept of "living fossils," but the simple fact of the matter is that it is neither prehistoric nor extinct (yet). It doesn't belong here any more than the alligator or the tuatara or the goblin shark does.

I kinda agree in principle, though it's sensible in practice. The only reason to include it here is because the general public would think to look for it under the category of "dinosaur toys" before they would think to look for it under the category of modern animals. That's enough of a source of clicks though to begrudgingly justify its presence here.

suspsy

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on January 03, 2022, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2022, 03:27:50 AM

I kinda agree in principle, though it's sensible in practice. The only reason to include it here is because the general public would think to look for it under the category of "dinosaur toys" before they would think to look for it under the category of modern animals. That's enough of a source of clicks though to begrudgingly justify its presence here.

I don't agree with that, namely for the reason that if someone were searching online for a review of the Safari or the Mojo coelacanth, they'd type "safari or mojo coelacanth review" into Google as opposed to immediately going to the DTB.

Honestly, if it were all up to me, I'd remove the Safari coelacanth from the DTB now that it has a proper home on the ATB.

stargatedalek

I'd go by what line it's in. In an otherwise prehistoric line? Keep it on the blog. In a marine line? Not the place.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Takama on January 02, 2022, 04:18:30 PM
I added an important message to the First post.

Basicaly the Coelacanth is not a part of the Prehistoric line up

However, should i leave it included in that post? remove it?

Glad to hear that!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Now we've got a line of dragons here on the DTF, so if we're okay with that why not a coelacanth?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 04, 2022, 05:20:48 PM
Now we've got a line of dragons here on the DTF, so if we're okay with that why not a coelacanth?

Dragons are only being discussed as part of Cyberzoic, and as I noted in that particular thread, they do not warrant reviews on the blog.

Gwangi

All this coelacanth talk has me contemplating removing my WS coelacanth from my prehistoric display. Now that I collect extant animals too I suppose I have no reason to keep it there. Chiming in on the actual topic, since the WS coelacanth is part of their prehistoric line that does make a case for it being on the blog. Ultimately though, if it's extant in should be on the ATB.

stargatedalek

As I see it, extant creatures in extinct sets or lines are valid for the DTB or ATB (IE Wild Safari coelacanth, Invicta Blue Whale) and vice versa for extinct animals from otherwise extant sets or series (IE Raphus/dodo from Safari Wings of the World).

But while Safari's modern coelacanth from a prehistoric line is applicable, the mandarin duck from Wings of the World would not be, despite having a dodo in that line.

I also have no issue with the cyberzoic dragons being theoretically included. We include Indominus rex and the other fictional Jurassic Park monsters after all.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 04, 2022, 08:46:57 PM
As I see it, extant creatures in extinct sets or lines are valid for the DTB or ATB (IE Wild Safari coelacanth, Invicta Blue Whale) and vice versa for extinct animals from otherwise extant sets or series (IE Raphus/dodo from Safari Wings of the World).

But while Safari's modern coelacanth from a prehistoric line is applicable, the mandarin duck from Wings of the World would not be, despite having a dodo in that line.

I also have no issue with the cyberzoic dragons being theoretically included. We include Indominus rex and the other fictional Jurassic Park monsters after all.
Same
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on December 26, 2021, 03:21:49 PM
My friend told me about the Southlands Replicas thing when I talked to them last night. I am seriously hoping they would reconsider bringing back the Thylacoleo sculpt back. If not I would be glad to see a new one. As good as the SR one is, it is a shame it was for a time, the only option on the market.

I'd like to see a more marsupial-esque take on Thylacoleo, IF a new sculpt were to be made. The reconstructions below are a lot more convincing to me personally than the usual "lion with-a-pouch" approach to the genus, really emphasizes the diprotodont affinity of Thylacoleo.

By Gabriel, @SerpenIllus on twitter.

By @mossacannibalis on twitter

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek does make a good point about the Indominus and Indoraptor figures. I think there were also a few other hybrid toys that were reviewed in the past too (including non JP/JW ones)? That also begs the question if I ever got around to reviewing the ones I have, would the fictional Primal Rage creatures be barred from being reviewed here, such as Armadon or Vertigo? Though I guess I can get the reasoning behind leaving out things like the dragons, and although the Indominus and Indoraptor are very much fictional, they're still somewhat vaguely dinosaur like, and come from a very dinosaur heavy franchise as is.

All the more reason I wish that dragon or fantasy toy blog that was discussed a while back became a reality. Would love writing up a review for the Arctic Dragon in that line, or the NECA American Werewolf figure I've had pre-ordered through BBTS since November, never mind all the Safari Ltd stuff I got.

Anyways back on track, I also agree that although it is an extant animal, I think for consistency sake if it is included in a prehistoric lineup, to have it on here. Like for example, the Takara Tomy Coelacanth figure that was released in a set alongside two Paleozoic animals. Since this one isn't actually in their prehistoric lineup after all it probably would do better to mention it on the ATF, but ultimately I think that might be up to avatar_Takama @Takama.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Was just about to post the above, but I'll chime in to say I actually agree with you on that. As nice as the Southlands one is, it is still a bit too feline like. Not seeing the images I'm guessing you tried to link? But I think I am familiar with the works you are talking about anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on January 05, 2022, 02:09:53 AM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Was just about to post the above, but I'll chime in to say I actually agree with you on that. As nice as the Southlands one is, it is still a bit too feline like. Not seeing the images I'm guessing you tried to link? But I think I am familiar with the works you are talking about anyways.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Links should work now (fingers crossed). Yeah, felt that the SR one is too feline like as well. Maybe that's the reason why I got their Diprotodon, but not the Thylacoleo.

suspsy

Regarding what avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek wrote, I would counter that while the Indominus and the Indoraptor and Chaos Effect and Primal Rage and certain other toys on the DTB are 100% fictional, they're still considered dinosaurs in the end. Whereas the Cyberzoic dragons are precisely that, dragons. Don't get me wrong, I've been a dragon fan since childhood, and I think any and all future Cyberzoic developments absolutely warrant being shared here on the forum, but I think permitting dragon reviews on the DTB would be leaping waaaaaay over the line as opposed to balancing on it or even stretching it.

I'll also note that I'd be all for a Fantasy/Monster Toy Blog and I'd be very willing to contribute as many reviews to it as I could, but I'm also one of the last persons on the planet to actually run a website proper.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Yes the images all work for me now.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Okay so it is kind of what I thought then, that because they are still dinosaur like. Good to see reviews of the other Primal Rage creatures would be welcomed then, once I can get through my backlog of stuff.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

I also agree with keeping dragons off the blog. I don't have anything against dragons, but they're entirely fantastic creatures, whereas creatures like Indominus are exaggerated fictional takes on real-life animal groups. It's the same logic why a 1933 Tyrannosaurus model fits on the Blog, but a King Kong figure would not, IMO.

stargatedalek

One or two dragons in an otherwise dinosaur line, or dragons that are specifically meant to be prehistoric or otherwise dinosaur inspired dragons (IE Anjanath, Kulu Ya Ku, Velocidrome from Monster Hunter), I would absolutely fight for being included. But where Cyberzoic is meant to be half fantasy dragons, versus the other half dinosaurs, I can see the argument they're not really meant to considered alongside dinosaurs specifically and are more their own thing in that line.

Psittacoraptor

Indominus is as much a fantasy monster as any dragon. By that logic this site should also include Pokémon based on extinct animals. Just my two cents, perhaps clouded by my dislike for the JW franchise :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 05, 2022, 08:27:32 PM
Indominus is as much a fantasy monster as any dragon. By that logic this site should also include Pokémon based on extinct animals. Just my two cents, perhaps clouded by my dislike for the JW franchise :)

It's a hybrid dinosaur. Dragons are not dinosaurs.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2022, 08:39:50 PM
It's a hybrid dinosaur. Dragons are not dinosaurs.
It's still entirely fictional.

How about these Pokémon based on extinct animals (real-life inspirations on the right)? Why not include toys for these? I'd say they might be considered less fantastical than Indominus.

I don't care about dragons either way, I just don't agree that a purely fictional movie monster is any more of a dinosaur than a dragon. Other franchises like Pokémon or, as avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek mentioned, Monster Hunter, have creatures that were inspired by specific dinosaurs, so it's a bit inconsistent that those aren't allowed while a purely fictional design like Indominus is.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: