News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best PNSO?

Started by Duck, December 27, 2021, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I think my favorites have to be all their hadrosaurids (though I still am behind on the Corythosaurus, and newer Olorotitan), their 2020 Spinosaurus, Yutyrannus, and many of the minis (particularly things like the Anchiornis, Atopodentatus, Sinosauropteryx, Tianyulong, etc). Their older (or newly repainted) Ankylosaurus is really good too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 28, 2021, 05:12:53 PM
Gamba the Carcharodontosaurus Is a masterpiece!  I've probably posted this 4-5 times already and folks are probably sick of reading it, LOl, but it's the closest I've ever felt to having a real live dinosaur in my hands.  Probably because of it's size and name it gets talked about less.  If PNSO had made it 7-8% larger and said it was Giganotosaurus everyone would be talking about it as one of the best theropod figures of all time.  Another thing that PNSO didn't help it with was the generic striping along the back, imagine Gamba with Connor's awesome camoflauge patterns and wilson's size. 

But if you look at it strictly from proportions, delicacy of the details, pose, and overall finish Gamba is still a powerhouse of a piece.  A couple of their hadrosaurs have also caught my eye including Ivan but until I own one I can't comment on them.

I have to say avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS, I've been enjoying reading your posts, I'm not sick of reading anything you say. :)  It's interesting to read your experience of PNSO's Carcharodontosaurus.  In terms of feeling like I'm holding a real dinosaur I've felt very similar to that with my GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus.  And I think the GR Toys version is part of why Gamba doesn't get talked about more, Gamba isn't the only high quality Carcharodontosaurus.  I think the other part of it is due to Gamba's size, as you said.  If it was bigger like Wilson I imagine it would get more attention.  I don't think its species is a reason it doesn't get as much attention, Carcharodontosaurus is very popular too.

Quote from: Lynx on December 28, 2021, 05:48:45 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but the PNSO Yutyrannus was way smaller in real life than I expected. So if you don't like small-scaled dinos, don't get low-leaning ones like this one. Same for Wilson. Great figures but the posture make them seem smaller. If you don't mind this unlike nit-picky me, then I recommend it!

The PNSO Yutyrannus isn't really a small-scaled dinosaur, it's around 1:35 scale.  Same for Wilson the Tyrannosaurus.

SRF

The Yutyrannus is actually too big to be in true 1:35 scale. Based on it's total length it's more like 1:30 scale, but it does display very nicely next to Wilson and other true 1:35 scale figures from PNSO.
But today, I'm just being father

MesozoicJohn

I am loving this thread Sim.  :)

I have several PNSO model Dinosaurs and have to say they are all fab. It is very difficult for me to say which I like the best but would happily recommended any of them, a  lot will depend what you are into, however if i was backed into a corner and had to give a shout out for any in particular it would be and in no particular order.....

Giganotosaurus
Machairoceratops
Olorotitan
Yangchuanosaurus
Triceratops
Allosaurus

I hope this helps a little, John :)

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: SRF on December 28, 2021, 07:52:37 PM
The Yutyrannus is actually too big to be in true 1:35 scale. Based on it's total length it's more like 1:30 scale, but it does display very nicely next to Wilson and other true 1:35 scale figures from PNSO.
This post is not intended to disagree with SRF in any way so please do not read it as such.

Being a scale military modeler I find that scale is very important when applied to tanks, planes, ships, equipment etc, however when it comes to living flesh and blood types one can get away with slight deviations, for example 1/30 (10.16mm to the foot),1/32 (9.52mm to the foot) and 1/35 (8.71mm to the foot)

People, animals and reptiles vary a lot in size, from baby/youngster to fully grown and even when fully grown there can be a big difference in their size and build. Any photo of a soccer team or army unit shows this. Now add to the mix that there is a high probability that the skeleton of the biggest ever specimen of any Dinosaur has not been found then exact scale is not important.

Also there are often different ideas from different Paleontologist's on the same specimen. For example, regarding Yutyrannus the holotype and oldest-known specimen has an estimated length of 9 metres (29.5 ft) however Gregory S Paul gave a lower estimation of 7.5 metres (24.6 feet).

So I am very give and take about the dimensions of my models.

John :)

SRF

No offence taken avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn :) I agree with you, that's why I also added that the Yutyrannus displays really well with other figures that are closer to 1:35 scale. I mentioned this especially to point out that I don't feel that the Yutyrannus is too small.

When it comes to my take of what the best PNSO figures are, I'm still biased towards Winter Wilson. I especially like to display him together with Andrea, together they really look stunning I feel.

Other PNSO figures that are "the best" for me are the Parasaurolophus, Tarbosaurus, Qianzhousaurus, Yutyrannus, Carnotaurus and Pachycephalosaurus. But that's of course all just my personal preference.

Duck

I've compiled a wish list here:
Corythosaurus
Tarbosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Spinosaurus (2020)
Very expensive haul, but I think it'll be worth it 100%
He who dwells in pond

Sim

avatar_Duck @Duck, I hope I'm not too late.  I think you might find it helpful to look through the list of PNSO figures on dinotoycollector.com and then picking the ones you like: https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Company=PNSO

If you want my opinion though:

Best
Allosaurus (medium) - An amazing model of an often-made genus.
Anchiornis - A well-feathered dinosaur is always great.
Ankylosaurus (medium) - The best Ankylosaurus available in my opinion.
Eurhinosaurus - It's spectacular.
Huayangosaurus (small) - I'm surprised this figure doesn't get more attention, it's around 1:40 scale and very nice.
Lambeosaurus - A spectacular figure, I find its colouration just great!
Mei - It's not for me as I dislike dinosaur figures in resting postures, but if you don't mind that it's an excellent figure.
Miragaia (medium) - A beautiful figure.
Nemicolopterus - PNSO should make more pterosaurs.
Tarbosaurus - PNSO's best theropod in my opinion.  I love it!
Tianyulong - A good figure.
Torvosaurus - I find it really nice.
Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus set - Amazing.  Both figures are excellent and the Yangchuanosaurus even has lips!
Yutyrannus - A lovely figure.

Worst
Amargasaurus (medium) - I wish it didn't have to be this way, but unfortunately like most Amargasaurus figures it gets the start of the spine sequence wrong, the first spine should be single not paired.
Borealopelta - The two largest spikes are not the right shape and the fossil shows they should be lighter in colour than the other preserved spikes.  I think CollectA got those things right in their Borealopelta prototype but I'm not sure if the final figure gets those things right too.  I'm getting the CollectA figure so I'll see!
Carnotaurus - I got this figure and really didn't like it.  Its exaggerated scales don't match what is known of Carnotaurus's skin and are the worst-looking out of the PNSO figures with this type of scales.
Giganotosaurus - I think it's a nice figure, but the lips are inexplicably sculpted so you can see into them from above when the mouth is closed.
Dakosaurus (mini) - It should have smooth skin.
Iguanodon - Trackways show the palms of Iguanodon's hands faced inwards, the PNSO figures hands are too pronated.
Kronosaurus - Its tongue isn't attached at the back.
Lufengosaurus - Its arms are too long in order to force it into a quadrupedal pose that's inaccurate for Lufengosaurus.  Its head is looking up for no good reason and it looks like a snake.  I'm surprised PNSO hasn't made another Lufengosaurus for their medium-sized line considering how special it is - it was the first complete dinosaur skeleton mounted in China and the first dinosaur to be featured on a stamp.
Megalodon (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong for an aquatic pursuit predator.
Microraptor (small) - Its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, the yellow and the crest is unlikely for Microraptor, and it lacks the alula.  Its feathers are also too messy.
Microraptor (medium) - It comes in two pieces that have to be put together, I hate that.  Like its smaller counterpart its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, its crest is unlikely and its feathers are too messy.
Ophthalmosaurus (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong.
Ophthalmosaurus (small) - Like its large counterpart its wrinkly skin texture is completely wrong.
Pinacosaurus - Features of it like its beak and spikes are unnecessarily cracked.
Sinosauropteryx - Its colouration unfortunately doesn't reflect the newest understanding of it and its face should be feathered.
Triceratops (medium, original version) - The way only some of its "nipple" scales have filaments coming out of them seems to be for shock value and not representing something plausible, I highly doubt only some of the "nipple" scales bore filaments.
Tuojiangosaurus (medium) - The arrangement of its body parts doesn't look right when compared to Scott Hartman's skeletal of this animal and it's missing a pair of plates.  That last part could be put down to individual variation I guess.  Also, the osteoderms on its sides are only painted in certain spots, the rest are unpainted and this looks unnatural.  I also don't find it convincing that the inner sides of the plates lack colour.
Tyrannosaurus (medium, Andrea) - One of its legs doesn't make contact with the ground and its articulated jaw can only be opened when it's hanging over an edge.
Tyrannosaurus (medium, original Wilson) - This figure is hilarious as it looks like a zombie.

Bread

Quote from: Duck on December 28, 2021, 09:39:38 PM
Corythosaurus
Tarbosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Spinosaurus (2020)
Awesome, just a heads up, Aliexpress has multiple sales throughout the year. If you are not in a rush to get these, I suggest waiting for a sale to appear, which should be soon.
I've gotten the Cretoxyrhina, Sauropelta, Tuojiangosaurus, Eurhinosaurus, and Yutyrannus all for exactly $100 during a sale.

Duck

Quote from: Sim on December 28, 2021, 10:54:15 PM
avatar_Duck @Duck, I hope I'm not too late.  I think you might find it helpful to look through the list of PNSO figures on dinotoycollector.com and then picking the ones you like: https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Company=PNSO

If you want my opinion though:

Best
Allosaurus (medium) - An amazing model of an often-made genus.
Anchiornis - A well-feathered dinosaur is always great.
Ankylosaurus (medium) - The best Ankylosaurus available in my opinion.
Eurhinosaurus - It's spectacular.
Huayangosaurus (small) - I'm surprised this figure doesn't get more attention, it's around 1:40 scale and very nice.
Lambeosaurus - A spectacular figure, I find its colouration just great!
Mei - It's not for me as I dislike dinosaur figures in resting postures, but if you don't mind that it's an excellent figure.
Miragaia (medium) - A beautiful figure.
Nemicolopterus - PNSO should make more pterosaurs.
Tarbosaurus - PNSO's best theropod in my opinion.  I love it!
Tianyulong - A good figure.
Torvosaurus - I find it really nice.
Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus set - Amazing.  Both figures are excellent and the Yangchuanosaurus even has lips!
Yutyrannus - A lovely figure.

Worst
Amargasaurus (medium) - I wish it didn't have to be this way, but unfortunately like most Amargasaurus figures it gets the start of the spine sequence wrong, the first spine should be single not paired.
Borealopelta - The two largest spikes are not the right shape and the fossil shows they should be lighter in colour than the other preserved spikes.  I think CollectA got those things right in their Borealopelta prototype but I'm not sure if the final figure gets those things right too.  I'm getting the CollectA figure so I'll see!
Carnotaurus - I got this figure and really didn't like it.  Its exaggerated scales don't match what is known of Carnotaurus's skin and are the worst-looking out of the PNSO figures with this type of scales.
Giganotosaurus - I think it's a nice figure, but the lips are inexplicably sculpted so you can see into them from above when the mouth is closed.
Dakosaurus (mini) - It should have smooth skin.
Iguanodon - Trackways show the palms of Iguanodon's hands faced inwards, the PNSO figures hands are too pronated.
Kronosaurus - Its tongue isn't attached at the back.
Lufengosaurus - Its arms are too long in order to force it into a quadrupedal pose that's inaccurate for Lufengosaurus.  Its head is looking up for no good reason and it looks like a snake.  I'm surprised PNSO hasn't made another Lufengosaurus for their medium-sized line considering how special it is - it was the first complete dinosaur skeleton mounted in China and the first dinosaur to be featured on a stamp.
Megalodon (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong for an aquatic pursuit predator.
Microraptor (small) - Its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, the yellow and the crest is unlikely for Microraptor, and it lacks the alula.  Its feathers are also too messy.
Microraptor (medium) - It comes in two pieces that have to be put together, I hate that.  Like its smaller counterpart its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, its crest is unlikely and its feathers are too messy.
Ophthalmosaurus (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong.
Ophthalmosaurus (small) - Like its large counterpart its wrinkly skin texture is completely wrong.
Pinacosaurus - Features of it like its beak and spikes are unnecessarily cracked.
Sinosauropteryx - Its colouration unfortunately doesn't reflect the newest understanding of it and its face should be feathered.
Triceratops (medium, original version) - The way only some of its "nipple" scales have filaments coming out of them seems to be for shock value and not representing something plausible, I highly doubt only some of the "nipple" scales bore filaments.
Tuojiangosaurus (medium) - The arrangement of its body parts doesn't look right when compared to Scott Hartman's skeletal of this animal and it's missing a pair of plates.  That last part could be put down to individual variation I guess.  Also, the osteoderms on its sides are only painted in certain spots, the rest are unpainted and this looks unnatural.  I also don't find it convincing that the inner sides of the plates lack colour.
Tyrannosaurus (medium, Andrea) - One of its legs doesn't make contact with the ground and its articulated jaw can only be opened when it's hanging over an edge.
Tyrannosaurus (medium, original Wilson) - This figure is hilarious as it looks like a zombie.
Very helpful, thanks.
He who dwells in pond

Duck

Aw dammit, now I'm having indecision between the GR toys Carcharodontosaurus and the PNSO one.
Any thoughts?
He who dwells in pond

SRF

Quote from: Duck on December 29, 2021, 04:03:40 AM
Aw dammit, now I'm having indecision between the GR toys Carcharodontosaurus and the PNSO one.
Any thoughts?

If you want your Carcharodontosaurus to be bigger than a 1:35 T. Rex, pick the GR Toys one. If you want your Carcharodontosaurus smaller than a 1:35 T. Rex, pick the PNSO one.

Leyster

Quote from: Duck on December 29, 2021, 04:03:40 AM
Any thoughts?
PNSO's body is probably more accurate (and this was said by someone who is working on carcharodontosaurids, so it means a lot) but the head not only uses an outdated restoration, but is too elongated even for that restoration.

GR's has a sightly less accurate body, but the head is closer to the actual thing.

GR is pricier, but is bigger and with a more complex pattern. GR has lips, but they didn't work perfectly, while PNSO has an exagerated overbite.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Duck @Duck Aesthetically, the GR Toys one of the most unique models on the market. You don't see such an intricate and colourful paint job every day. That means it will stand out in your collection, and might make other figures look a bit dull, though. Regarding accuracy (ugh), remember how fragmentary Carcha. remains are, so personally I find the large differences in paint application and scale a more important deciding factor. If you like a more conservative look for your figures, the PNSO would be the better choice. For me, the GR Toys wins this hands-down.

Carnoking

Quote from: Duck on December 28, 2021, 09:39:38 PM
Corythosaurus
Tarbosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Spinosaurus (2020)

Very good list I'd say. If you can get it on sale, I'd also recommend the museum line Stegosaurus. It is overpriced on its own, and the paint job got a bit muddy, but I do still think it's a strong figure worth adding to the collection at some point or other.

Sim

The size difference between the GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus and the PNSO version is something to consider when picking one of the two, well three really since the GR Toys comes in two different colours.  I personally prefer the size and appearance of the orange GR Toys version so I chose that one.  I'm very happy with it.  This video compares the two GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus and the PNSO version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8j7N0oavQ

Skorpio V.

I'd go for the GR Toys one, personally.

In other news, I made a Tier List for you guys to rank every Prehistoric Model of theirs (except the minis)! https://tiermaker.com/create/pnso-prehistoric-models-1432826

Here's mine
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Duck

Wish list update:
Pnso Tarbosaurus
GR toys Carcharodontosaurus
Pnso Parasaurolophus
Pnso Spinosaurus 2020
I took away the Corythosaurus since I still think the head looks weird.
Replaced the Carcharodontosaurus.
Maybe I should make a wish list thread lol.
He who dwells in pond

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on December 28, 2021, 10:54:15 PM

avatar_Sim @Sim avatar_Duck @Duck Gonna put my opinion about this here. I don't want to be rude in any way, I just disagree with a couple of the selections for "worst" and "best"  :))
In my opinion, "worst" here makes it sound like these figures are just plain horrible when in reality it's (from my view) minor issues that don't really make the figure horrible, but you would have to be sure you want the figure before purchase, as you could be disappointed

Best (Sorry, most of the figures here aren't very great in my opinion  :( )
Allosaurus (medium) - An amazing model of an often-made genus. (In my opinion, it looks a bit odd from the promo picks, especially the head, but overall a great figure!)
Anchiornis - A well-feathered dinosaur is always great. (I like it. I would prefer it without a base, but it's fine.)
Ankylosaurus (medium) - The best Ankylosaurus available in my opinion. (God that figure is adorable! I'm happy it isn't in the "tail up and head as far down to the floor as possible so it looks like your a dog with a bad back cramp" pose)
Eurhinosaurus - It's spectacular. (No comment)
Huayangosaurus (small) - I'm surprised this figure doesn't get more attention, it's around 1:40 scale and very nice. (I find it alright.)
Lambeosaurus - A spectacular figure, I find its colouration just great! (It was a bit too vibrant for me at first, but now having this figure in person and it's one of my favorites!)
Mei - It's not for me as I dislike dinosaur figures in resting postures, but if you don't mind that it's an excellent figure. (Paint job is sloppy, and afaik there's another brand with a more detailed, more well painted, and overall better looking Mei in that same position.)
Miragaia (medium) - A beautiful figure. (I like it! I'll have to get it if Safari does not release one!)
Nemicolopterus - PNSO should make more pterosaurs. (I don't really want the figure, but I think it looks great!)
Tarbosaurus - PNSO's best theropod in my opinion.  I love it! (Sorry, too much like Winter Wilson for me, but now that I am seeing reviews about it the only thing stopping me from buying it is shelf space!)
Tianyulong - A good figure. (No opinion on it for me.)
Torvosaurus - I find it really nice. (Love the colors!)
Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus set - Amazing.  Both figures are excellent and the Yangchuanosaurus even has lips! (Also really need to get this one sometime soon!)
Yutyrannus - A lovely figure. (I have it and while I don't adore it, I can see why others love it!)

Worst (Here's where I start to disagree more. While I agree with a couple of the ones you placed here, most just don't seem "the worst" to me)
Amargasaurus (medium) - I wish it didn't have to be this way, but unfortunately like most Amargasaurus figures it gets the start of the spine sequence wrong, the first spine should be single not paired. (Same problem for me! Just as bad in accuracy as other Amarga figures, no point in getting it besides maybe detail.)
Borealopelta - The two largest spikes are not the right shape and the fossil shows they should be lighter in colour than the other preserved spikes.  I think CollectA got those things right in their Borealopelta prototype but I'm not sure if the final figure gets those things right too.  I'm getting the CollectA figure so I'll see! (I don't think it deserves to be here. Maybe a middle rank? It just isn't bad if you don't mind accuracy that much. I do agree on the color being too dark, though)
Carnotaurus - I got this figure and really didn't like it.  Its exaggerated scales don't match what is known of Carnotaurus's skin and are the worst-looking out of the PNSO figures with this type of scales. (I love the coloration, but the problems you stated are really keeping me back from buying it, so not a great figure)
Giganotosaurus - I think it's a nice figure, but the lips are inexplicably sculpted so you can see into them from above when the mouth is closed. (I heavily dislike the spikes along the back and the coloration is really harsh, I agree with it being down here.)
Dakosaurus (mini) - It should have smooth skin. (No opinion on this.)
Iguanodon - Trackways show the palms of Iguanodon's hands faced inwards, the PNSO figures hands are too pronated. (Not to mention the skull being way too thin, and cheeks are missing! Would love it if it was an actual Iguanodon and not... this.)
Kronosaurus - Its tongue isn't attached at the back. (Personally don't mind as I tend to keep the mouth closed on figures with articulated jaws.)
Megalodon (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong for an aquatic pursuit predator. (I'm no expert on aquatic life so I'll go with your word  :) )
Microraptor (small) - Its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, the yellow and the crest is unlikely for Microraptor, and it lacks the alula.  Its feathers are also too messy. (I don't really mind this. While I wish it was more fluffy, I like the small size!)
Microraptor (medium) - It comes in two pieces that have to be put together, I hate that.  Like its smaller counterpart its tail fan doesn't match fossil specimens, its crest is unlikely and its feathers are too messy. (The seams are barely noticeable unless you forcefully look underneath it where it connects, and it stays together afterward without trouble. Feathers are indeed too messy though!)
Ophthalmosaurus (large) - Its skin texture is completely wrong. (Yeah. No comment, I think you summed it up.)
Ophthalmosaurus (small) - Like its large counterpart its wrinkly skin texture is completely wrong. (Same as above.)
Pinacosaurus - Features of it like its beak and spikes are unnecessarily cracked. (Barely noticeable on the beak and in my opinion makes the figure look better in general and more like the reference, but that's just me)
Sinosauropteryx - Its colouration unfortunately doesn't reflect the newest understanding of it and its face should be feathered. (Yep!)
Triceratops (medium, original version) - The way only some of its "nipple" scales have filaments coming out of them seems to be for shock value and not representing something plausible, I highly doubt only some of the "nipple" scales bore filaments. (My problem with this figure is over-detailing. As you stated, there's no reason for the nipple scales to have filaments.)
Tuojiangosaurus (medium) - The arrangement of its body parts doesn't look right when compared to Scott Hartman's skeletal of this animal and it's missing a pair of plates.  That last part could be put down to individual variation I guess.  Also, the osteoderms on its sides are only painted in certain spots, the rest are unpainted and this looks unnatural.  I also don't find it convincing that the inner sides of the plates lack colour. (Nailed it with this figures summary. I would get a Papo Giganotosaurus over this!)
Tyrannosaurus (medium, Andrea) - One of its legs doesn't make contact with the ground and its articulated jaw can only be opened when it's hanging over an edge. (It looks compressed, period.)
Tyrannosaurus (medium, original Wilson) - This figure is hilarious as it looks like a zombie. (I thought it was by REBOR when I first saw it!)

Overall I feel like a lot of the figures you added in "the worst" tier are not half bad and deserve to be higher, but hey, I'm a casual collector, and you seem to mind accuracy more, so from the eyes of a accuracy collector... yeah! I can see how these figures are bad!  :)

Mainly made this as a way for you to get a second opinion on the figures listed, Duck. I do agree with most of the points but wanted to add some stuff in for you to consider.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: