News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The latest Display Room of Sbell

Started by SBell, January 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Hi Everybody!

Since the beginning of this forum,  have moved several times...and in at least some of thsoe places, I have had homes that allowed me to get furniture to display as much of my collection as possible.

And I've done it again! Really, I've been here for 6 months, but I've fussed for a while with the collection and display, trying to make things fit well. And then, within two years, I will likely have too much again and will need more space...

But for now, it's all good!  I am obsessed with trying to put glass doors over everything, because as anyone else with (literally) thousands of small figures can attest, dusting is an awful activity. Thankfully, Ikea complied with a lovely series called BestA, with big, wide glass doors that fit perfectly (and actually sit away from the shelves, allowing the occasional figure to stick out a little.

Even better--they come in a 8" wide shelf as well as the usual wide book shelf, and the doors still fit, and they can be wall mounted. As will be seen below (I know, show pictures already  ::)) there is a handy ledge in the room that I could use as a support (but I still wall-mounted). I highly recommend the system if you can get it.

The big book cases are a different style--I got them 6 years and they are solid wood (not the usual MDF) but the line is discontinued. If I didn't have them, I'd have totally gotten the full size Besta cases for larger figures. Apparently, money grows on trees... :P

Anyway, pictures:

Big bookcases:

View from the door (to the left of the wood cases):

Complete with desk and storage stuff that someday will get cleaned out...

Main wall of cabinets (note that these ones also have top extensions on them, which also have doors that fit! Brilliant series, I have to say):
One the left

One the right

Window wall (no extensions--yet!)
Left of window:

Right of Window:

So there is the majority. At some point, I'll get motivated and do close ups of various shelves. And also make the one wall worth picturing (it just has a cabinet to hold store stock, and a blank wall. Nothing to see there).

But still, probably my most complete display room yet!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice collection Sbell !

Were those shelves expensive ?  Dust here is awful ! I've been considering getting plexiglass to screw onto the fronts of my existing shelving.

DinoToyForum

Wow, it looks really great! Those glass-fronted shelves are awesome - must help reduce dust too.  ^-^

postsaurischian

Impressive!
A question like this had to come ;D:
Who made that big brown Axolotl that can be seen on the first picture, second floor?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 12, 2014, 11:51:23 PM
Impressive!
Who made that big brown Axolotl that can be seen on the first picture, second floor?

That's a Safari/Chattanooga Aquarium piece..part of their salamander line. 

deanm

Very Nice!!!

Great collection (as always)

I love both styles of cabinet!! Works great & looks great!!

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2014, 11:39:08 PM
Nice collection Sbell !

Were those shelves expensive ?  Dust here is awful ! I've been considering getting plexiglass to screw onto the fronts of my existing shelving.

I don't think they were too bad--the 4' shelf (two-sided) was $75 CDN and the door was $45 or so--so, a bit of an expense to get 3 2' + 1 2' extension; 2 each of 4' cases and extensions, and doors for all of them.

And I just discovered that, if I were inclined, I could purchase new, extra shelves--they even have glass ones to be used in the shelves, which would be preferable. But I don't think I want/need to spend quite that much to replace them all (plus, I'd have to get everything reset again! It already took 6 months!).

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 12, 2014, 11:40:45 PM
Wow, it looks really great! Those glass-fronted shelves are awesome - must help reduce dust too.  ^-^

And that's part of why they were so worth it! Helps that the room is in a basement and doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 12, 2014, 11:51:23 PM
Impressive!

I figured there would be those questions. Hence the eventual need to put up closer pictures of each shelf. 

Yeah, it's the Safari-made Tennessee Aquarium Axolotl, the last figure in that small and short-lived (but really great) line. The rest of the salamanders are next to it (plus the red-cheek salamander that was made for just the Great Smoky Mountains National Park).

ZoPteryx

Very cool display room Sbell! :)  Those shelving units are perfect!

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on January 13, 2014, 03:01:44 AM
Very cool display room Sbell! :)  Those shelving units are perfect!

Thanks. The big version of the cabinets would be good for bigger figures.

I just realized that every piece of furniture in the room--even the wooden drawer unit under the window--are Ikea. And they are all from different lines, bought years apart!

tyrantqueen

Wow, this possibly could be the most (or one of the most) impressive collections on DTF. Not only for its scope, but for its beautiful organisation. Congrats 8)

Jetoar

One of the best displays and great collections that I have seen, congrats  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

very very cool collection/display. hope to see close-up shots soon.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 02:53:36 AM
  ....... it's the Safari-made Tennessee Aquarium Axolotl, the last figure in that small and short-lived (but really great) line. The rest of the salamanders are next to it .......

I had no idea there was an Axolotl in this series (why did they make it so much bigger than the rest :-\ ;D?)
I'd love to see a walk-around, over at the ATF :)!

SBell

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 13, 2014, 03:52:15 PM
  ....... it's the Safari-made Tennessee Aquarium Axolotl, the last figure in that small and short-lived (but really great) line. The rest of the salamanders are next to it .......

I had no idea there was an Axolotl in this series (why did they make it so much bigger than the rest :-\ ;D?)

It was just pointed out to me that I should have mentioned that the figure is a mud puppy, not an axolotl. Whoops!

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 06:45:18 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 13, 2014, 03:52:15 PM

It was just pointed out to me that I should have mentioned that the figure is a mud puppy, not an axolotl. Whoops!

There is a walk-around of the mudpuppy available at the Animal Toy Forum.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

postsaurischian

Roselaar

Excellent collection! I might consider such convenient display cases too, if I had any space left...

Mighty King

this is an amazing collection! . I wish to have a collection like that, someday. congratulations!!   :)

SBell

Quote from: Mighty King on January 14, 2014, 12:07:42 AM
this is an amazing collection! . I wish to have a collection like that, someday. congratulations!!   :)

Thanks. I've been amassing it for over 20 years now (I was clearly awesome even in high school  :P) Although it's getting harder to keep up--I am one of those people who is perfectly content to have the companies keep new dinos to about 6/year or so! Plus whatever moderns appeal to me.

The worst part is that I still don't have everything out--some is still boxed up (not much) and some is on the kids' shelves! Not the best stuff of course, but it still had to go somewhere!

radman

Very impressive assemblage!  Divorce-worthy, indeed. ;)  I especially like the faunacasts marine collection at the top, although where is the liopleurodon?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.