News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The latest Display Room of Sbell

Started by SBell, January 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Really professional setup, gives the impression of a museum collection.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Fofer

SBell

Wow...haven't updated this in quite a long while...but over the last few months, I have sold off a sizable part of my collection...but it still takes up lots of space. The good news is that everything fits nicely for now, and I finally reorganized the cabinets.

While I will eventually get close up photos here, I thought I'd share the photos of the cabinets overall for now...!

And I'm working from one corner clockwise. 3 of the 4 walls have something one them; one wall has a desk/photo centre and storage closet and is no fun at all!

East wall:

(the nerdy stuff shelf...!)

South wall:

West wall:

And in case people are wondering...there is not a real rhyme or reason to the organization. Some are shelves based on company, others on taxonomic themes, others are kind of random...

And already, we are planning to move the whole thing into a different room that sees more human activity so that the collection is more visible...so at some point I'll do this all over again! But until then, I will continue to add the photos of close ups of the shelves. Hopefully the move won't be for a while!

BlueKrono

Ah Ceratophrys, my most desired extant figure... My heart yearns.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Fenestra

Sweet!
That must have been a lot of work to organize and display.
What a joy to watch.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Jose S.M.

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 26, 2018, 06:08:32 AM
Ah Ceratophrys, my most desired extant figure... My heart yearns.

Yeah, it was lucky that I had bought that as a gift for someone years ago--and then he gave it back to me! Of course, I don't talk to him anymore 'cause he turned into an a#####e, but hey, things happen.

SBell

Quote from: Fenestra on February 26, 2018, 06:56:24 AM
Sweet!
That must have been a lot of work to organize and display.
What a joy to watch.

It usually is...now imagine another 350 figures (mostly larger sized ones) crammed in there, because that's how many I've sold off in the last while! It was starting to get less joy and more 'tangled mess'!

Shonisaurus

Sbell observed that your collection is ordered and in perfect condition. I like the cleanliness and order in which the showcases and the collectible figures are presented.  :)

SBell

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 26, 2018, 03:14:52 PM
Sbell observed that your collection is ordered and in perfect condition. I like the cleanliness and order in which the showcases and the collectible figures are presented.  :)

I try...it forces me to think about every new thing and where it will go! I am hoping to someday have nothing in storage!

ITdactyl

Someday I hope to organize my collection as neatly as yours.

I'm curious though, have you ever had to rearrange the collection because of certain new purchases?  Or do you just consciously make space for new acquisitions?

Lanthanotus

That'a quite a crwod of figures, woah :)

SBell

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 26, 2018, 06:27:23 PM

Someday I hope to organize my collection as neatly as yours.

I'm curious though, have you ever had to rearrange the collection because of certain new purchases?  Or do you just consciously make space for new acquisitions?

It happens all the time! And it's something that I try to consider as I plan for purchases. I don't always, but it definitely impacts impulse purchases. And it means I create a mental plan for upcoming models (like the non-dino reptiles shelf...it will need room for the CollectA Estemmenosuchus; or the large fishes shelf, that needs room for the favorite Gar and Arowana).

It's part of why I felt the need to reduce the collection anyway (kind of pulled a Konde-clean up, keeping what was most meaningful, etc). I'm still not truly done, as there are some smaller sets, etc that I'm okay parting with and just haven't organized yet...the shelves are constantly evolving (other than maybe the Dinotales cabinet...the one good thing about that line not being produced anymore!)

Halichoeres

I need to get me some glass-fronted cabinets like that. Quite an enviable display!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2018, 07:02:58 PM
I need to get me some glass-fronted cabinets like that. Quite an enviable display!

I'm most annoyed that Ikea discontinued the doors. Not the cabinets. Just the doors. The new version has a wider frame instead of the nice narrow aluminum. But it's probably what I'll use in the display move when we get around to it.

ceratopsian

Those are good looking cabinets for an impressive collection.

Reptilia

Great collection and display. Space seems to be the last of your problems, it appears you have quite a big room dedicated to your hobby.

Roselaar

I love it! Very neatly organised and still a lovely collection if it wasn't.

SBell

Yeah, it's the Museum days thing...it has to be organized in a hopefully-pleasing way.

And yes, everything is in a complicated database that needs updating--since every shelf is accounted!

As for space...the room doesn't really get used well. Other than shelves it has my desk and a storage cabinet, and a terrible desk chair. That's why we hope to move it into the main living area (the kids are older now anyway). Then I suppose we'll have an empty room, but at least I'd be surrounded by the collection when I'm watching TV!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: