News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

We have agreed that that Tylosaurus' recent topic asking to have his account deleted was inappropriate and potentially confusing for new members and guests. Although we left it up for a while to allow regulars the chance to read Tylo's reasons for leaving, we have now removed it, and will no be giving the issue any more attention.

DinoToyForum

We had a few bots break through our defenses recently, so I've increased security by adding a few more verification features to the registration process. New members will also have to jump through a few extra hoops for the first few pm's they send. Hopefully this puts an end to the spam.  C:-)

DinoToyForum

I've changed the default forum setting so that members are returned to the same topic after posting a reply (instead of being sent to the board). C:-)

This setting can be overruled by individual members in the profile area. Go to 'look and layout' and uncheck the box titled 'Return to topics after posting by default.'

DinoToyForum

The new forum is a little over four months old now and in that short time has accrued over 250mb worth of attachments (550 files)! Because the dinotoyforum isn't a dedicated image host, at this rate it may quickly become a heavy burden on the server. As such, I've decided to limit the attachment settings to one 3000kb image per post. In time, I may remove the attachment feature entirely, or I may remove attachments that are older than a certain amount of days - I'll see how it goes.

The recommended way to share images on the forum is outlined on the posting images thread. There are plenty of free external image hosts out there who offer a dedicated service :) Thanks for your understanding!

DinoToyForum

I have set up two new boards: Dinosaur toy lines and Dinosaur groups

For an explanation behind this change, see: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,562.0.html

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 27, 2012, 02:05:04 PM

For an explanation behind this change, see: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,562.0.html
Ah, great idea! It makes it more easy to use as a reference guide. Thanks :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 28, 2012, 03:31:36 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 27, 2012, 02:05:04 PM

Ah, great idea! It makes it more easy to use as a reference guide. Thanks :)

Thank you Boki, you're one of the main contributors. 

DinoToyForum

OK, a new board dedicated to dinosaur kits: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html

I have left it in the dinosaur art section for now, I suppose that makes sense. EDIT - I've renamed the first forum category as 'dinosaur collectibles' (instead of 'dinosaur toys') and moved the new 'dinosaur kits' board there.

I've moved topics there, as appropriate. If I have missed any, let me know :)

Also, I've moved the Dinoriders and Faunacasts boards so they are now sub-boards of the Dinosaur Lines board.

Seijun

So if the dinosaur artwork involves a kit, it will go in kits? or artwork?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Seijun on August 05, 2012, 11:33:29 PM
So if the dinosaur artwork involves a kit, it will go in kits? or artwork?

hmmm. Artwork. No, Kits. No! Artwork. No! Kits. No! *head explodes*.

I'd say artwork, if the focus is on the artwork as opposed to the kit itself. But I don't have strong feelings on the matter. There are always going to be topics that straddle boundaries. We can only do our best to slot them in where we feel they most closely belong.  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

As another forum member once said..I am far from the best person to offer a good insight here, but once I saw the seperation and changing of those threads my mind lept right to the concept of...kits =raw products, unfinished, unmodified and unbuilt. Whereas artwork and customization and painting all seemed to have their own threads and areas. I had guessed that might be the direction it took, as then you could place all raw kits, and their creators within a single grouping..ie, Krentz, Shane, Faunacasts, with all being equal artists with the same area to display and offer within.
  Whereas an artist like Martin Garret or Copper could have a thread under artwork that displays their own efforts together and similarly...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 06, 2012, 04:46:34 AM
As another forum member once said..I am far from the best person to offer a good insight here, but once I saw the seperation and changing of those threads my mind lept right to the concept of...kits =raw products, unfinished, unmodified and unbuilt. Whereas artwork and customization and painting all seemed to have their own threads and areas. I had guessed that might be the direction it took, as then you could place all raw kits, and their creators within a single grouping..ie, Krentz, Shane, Faunacasts, with all being equal artists with the same area to display and offer within.
  Whereas an artist like Martin Garret or Copper could have a thread under artwork that displays their own efforts together and similarly...

Sounds sensible to me, I guess that's how I envisioned it in the first place, with the kits section specifically intended for the discussion of the 'raw' kits (as you put it): a place for the kit-makers to also share their work, reveal new releases, and get feedback from members.

DinoToyForum

Forum attachments are now disabled. Sorry for any inconvenience caused but it's time for you to sign up to a dedicated image host :)
For instructions on how to post images, see the posting images thread.

DinoToyForum

If the forum looks a little different today, it's because I removed the blue background from titles and headers. I always found them a little bit overbearing!

Takama

Ithoght it gave the forum a sharper look  :-X

alexeratops

I  think it's less atracting to people who want to become members, and I thnk it loos plain out lifeless.
like a bantha!

Seijun

This comment is probably of no help at all, but I barely noticed the change. I think either version is great. IMO this whole place is so much better than the old forum that these minor appearance changes don't really matter to me.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

postsaurischian

I do not notice any difference ;D. I don't remember any blue backgrounds at all ;D. I can be so ignorant sometimes ::).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: alexeratops on November 12, 2012, 11:45:02 PM
I  think it's less atracting to people who want to become members, and I thnk it loos plain out lifeless.
No, it doesn't.

Do you really think people are going to be dissuaded from joining because the titles and headers don't have blue backgrounds?

Takama

"as long as people can read the words"  Is what my Web Design Teacher used to say

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: