News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Nanuqsaurus' steadily improving collection

Started by Nanuqsaurus, March 07, 2016, 07:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Maybe you've seen my introduction post in the new members board, if not, then hey everybody! :D And if you've read it, you might know I have a Schleich collection. Okay... sorry... yeah... I have a Schleich collection. I didn't know there were so many other great dino toy brands until I found this site! :-[ Most stores only sell Schleich here, so I didn't really come across other brands. But now that I know they exist, I might buy some of them soon. Until that time, here's a part my little collection.

First up are the Ornithischians!

Pentaceratops

Torosaurus

Kentrosaurus

Stegosaurus

Saichania

CityRaptor

Yes, getting something besides Schleich in store can be a challenge here in the EU. At least you seem to have some of the better Schleichs out there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 07, 2016, 07:58:13 PM
Yes, getting something besides Schleich in store can be a challenge here in the EU. At least you seem to have some of the better Schleichs out there.

I refuse to buy the really bad ones. That new Dilophosaurus for example is horrible, but the Pentaceratops and Kentrosaurus are very good if you'd ask me. I've quite fallen in love with Papo after discovering this site. I guess Papo wouldn't be too hard to find in the EU, being a French brand.

Roselaar

I'm seeing a few good Schleichs there. But then, there isn't that many more of them than 'a few'... :-/

PaleoMatt

Actually it's better than my collection as I own some of the crappier ones.

Gwangi

Schleich has some good models, and it looks like you know which ones those are.

Nanuqsaurus

Here are some pictures of my Schleich theropods. Schleich has made a lot of theropods, which is not really a suprise since they're far more popular than ornithischians. They are of worse quality though.

Allosaurus, I think I'll replace this one with the newer Allosaurus model soon.

Spinosaurus (violet)

Giganotosaurus (orange)

Therizinosaurus

Green Tyrannosaurus

Red Tyrannosaurus

CityRaptor

Okay, now the thread's title is becoming more fitting.  ;D
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

you should get the previous Parasaurolophus, not the latest chinasaur colored one. one of the best figures of that dino.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: sauroid on March 08, 2016, 07:38:04 PM
you should get the previous Parasaurolophus, not the latest chinasaur colored one. one of the best figures of that dino.

Yeah, I was planning to get that one. I saw with a discount on a webshop recently, it looks much better than most Schleich models. I was also considering the newer Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus , can somebody tell me if those are good models? I have only one sauropod right now, which is a completely outdated Apatosaurus in dull grey. I'll also get the Barapasaurus when it's in stores.

As for now, here is my lonely Apatosaurus, which looks like it's from a swamp in a 1960's childrens book. Funny thing is, I remember buying or getting most of my Schleichs, but I have absolutely no memory of when or why I bought this.

Quetzalcoatlus (old)

Quetzalcoatlus (new)

Besides dinosaurs, I have three other prehistoric animals in my collection:

Smilodon

Wooly mammoth

Wooly mammoth calf

So that's all for now. I'll probably buy more Schleich soon. If I come across any other brands in the meantime, I'll consider buying them, but I'm not really sure what exactly I'm looking for yet. As for Schleich, I hope to add the following models to my collection:

- Parasaurolophus
- (New) Allosaurus
- (New) Apatosaurus
- Brachiosaurus
- Dimetrodon
- Dunkleosteus
- Barapasaurus

And perhaps:
- Light green Tyrannosaurus
- Anhanguera
- The older version of Giganotosaurus

I also like most models in that cave set, but it includes the Quetzalcoatlus, which I already have. And I really don't care for the cave itself either. I'm mainly interested in it for the Quetzalcoatlus hatchling and Tyrannosaurus hatchling, but also for the Microraptor and Archaeopteryx (yay, finally some properly feathered dinosaurs!). It also includes the pretty ugly Carnotaurus, which is not really what I'm looking for but I wouldn't mind having it anyway. Maybe someone knows if/how I can get the dinosaurs in that set without buying the whole thing? That would be awesome! :))

sauroid

there are two versions of the old Quetzalcoatlus, the big and smaller one. you should also try to look for the Macrauchenia. the large discontinued Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus arent considered accurate but they look great as retro figures and they are very well detailed.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: sauroid on March 09, 2016, 07:15:19 PM
there are two versions of the old Quetzalcoatlus, the big and smaller one. you should also try to look for the Macrauchenia. the large discontinued Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus arent considered accurate but they look great as retro figures and they are very well detailed.

The Macrauchenia looks great, but I guess it'll be difficult to find because it has been discontinued for a while. Same for the other prehistoric mammals I'm missing.

My post about the Quetzalcoatlus was a bit confusing, I'm sorry. I'm not looking for an old Quetzalcoatlus model, I meant this baby Quetzalcoatlus which is exclusive to the cave set:

Anyway, here's a group photo of my current dinosaur collection:

Nanuqsaurus

Yesterday I had a free day, so I went to the city to look for some Papo. Of course, there wasn't any Papo. So I came home with two Schleichs again... :-\ Ah well, they'll fit nicely in my collection, and I don't think these models are that bad. Besides, they're both out of production so I guess it was a good chance to get them.

The first one is the Parasaurolophus, but it's not the old model. The colors are very bright and maybe a bit unrealistic, but the sculpt is quite nice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sculpt of the newer Parasaurolophus a smaller version of the old one? Anyway, it's nice to finally have a hadrosaur in my collection.

The second one is the newer version of the Apatosaurus, as a replacement of the extremely outdated one. Scientifically not the best model, but at least it's better than the old Apatosaurus, and I love the colors! It's also a bit bigger than the previous model, which makes it look better when next to the other dinosaurs. I always thought a small Apatosaurus between bigger dinos looked really weird.

Old and new:

I didn't throw the old one away of course, but it's not on the shelf with the other Schleichs anymore. I think I'll keep it anyway, retrosaurs like that one have some sort of charm to me. For now, it's next to my repainted chinasaur Styracosaurus. Next time, I'm going to replace the old Quetzalcoatlus with the new Anhanguera (because I already have the new Quetzalcoatlus and I don't want a empty spot on the shelf :P), and maybe replace the Allosaurus as well.

Megalosaurus

That apato is really nice, but I still prefer the Replicasaurus BIG. This one:

Way bigger that the new one:

Here you are other nice Schleich figures:

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Viking Spawn

I too, have some of the better Schleich models!  Nothing wrong or horrible about some of them!   ;)

Nanuqsaurus

That old apato is huge... :o But it must be somewhat more difficult to find, and more expensive too! I love the Shonisaurus as well, I've never seen in in real life, but you can just guess how heavy that model must be from the pictures alone :P If I ever come across it, I'll certainly buy it!

Roselaar

Shonisaurus and Desmatosuchus are simply buy-on-sights for any true dinosaur toy fan. They're undoubtedly Schleich's most daring sculpts. Only know are they finally returning to producing figures of more obscure species (like Barapasaurus). But those lack the graceful quality of the old Resaurus line.

Patrx

Despite the treachery inherent in saying a kind word about a Schleich dinosaur, and despite its numerous anatomical faults, I do find something sort of charming about that Parasaurolophus of theirs. It's kind of adorable.

Dinomike

I also own the Kentrosaurus and the Pentaceratops.  I really like them! I once had a chance to buy the huge Apatosaurus but I didn't - now I regret it. Thanks foe showing your collection!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

MLMjp

The big grey Apatosaurus is one of my all time favorite sauropods. ^-^ ^-^

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.