News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

ITdactyl

CityRaptor

Yeah, those leaping Raptors look like fun.

I guess the young T. rex got a muzzle since the figure itself is smaller than the others.

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on April 05, 2018, 09:19:27 PM
The Pteranodon is a McDonalds toy.

It is much better than this piece of junk:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

They are all equally bad. Last time we saw a decent Pteranodon was the JPIII one, and not the Alpha one, which is grossly oversized.

mgaguilar

Quote from: mgaguilar on April 05, 2018, 08:45:43 AM
And THIS is what I call bringing out the potential of the Mattel figures.

Is there anyone on this forum I can commission to have this painted for me? I'd love this.
Or, does anyone recommend just getting a Papo and having it repainted to JP Rex colors.

CityRaptor

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on April 05, 2018, 09:47:55 PM
They are all equally bad.

I would say the Mattel one is better than the JW one.

not the Alpha one, which is grossly oversized

If we go by tie-in media, the Alpha Pteranodon was apparently supposed to be over-sized. 

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

Looks like a prime candidate for a repaint.

I might as well get the Rexes now and have them repainted in a few months/years...

Reptilia

Quote from: mgaguilar on April 05, 2018, 10:19:34 PM
Is there anyone on this forum I can commission to have this painted for me? I'd love this.
Or, does anyone recommend just getting a Papo and having it repainted to JP Rex colors.

The Papo rex is already in JP colours, but I guess that if you ask for a professional repaint you can get something exceptional, be it the Papo figure or a Mattel toy. Martin Garratt is a professional (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=82), and I don't know if this other guy accepts commissions, but he's great too (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1653), he did some pretty cool JP repaints with Papo figures.

Faelrin

Well those pictures of the Legacy items are certainly better to go off of then before. The Pteranodon looks much less grey then before, but still very bland compared to the Hasbro JPIII one, but maybe I might try picking it up now. I prefer the tan over what I thought was just grey previously. I did not see the muzzle that came with the baby T. rex in the other pic. Definitely a neat accessory to have. And TLW raptor is still a bit too yellow for me right now, but maybe in person it will be a different story, even if I'm not fond of the sculpt choice per se, and that they used splotches instead of stripes.

I do think that the Battle Damage Blue is probably the best Blue right now in terms of both sculpt and paint apps (even though I don't care for the battle damage feature, at least it is 'optional' unlike most of the Hasbro figures with permanent exposed flesh wounds. If anything it is like the JW Mosasaurus which I can tolerate. Although if I'm honest that particular Blue figure looks like its paint app got applied a bit too low (near the eye), but I highly doubt all will look that way.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 05, 2018, 10:57:34 PM
Quote from: mgaguilar on April 05, 2018, 10:19:34 PM

The Papo rex is already in JP colours, but I guess that if you ask for a professional repaint you can get something exceptional, be it the Papo figure or a Mattel toy. Martin Garratt is a professional (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=82), and I don't know if this other guy accepts commissions, but he's great too (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1653), he did some pretty cool JP repaints with Papo figures.

I don't think I could ever get enough of these JP rexes. If I had the money, I would get the Chronicles versions as well and have them repainted/finessed by Jurassic Repaints.

Garratt is superb.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 05, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
They are all equally bad.

I would say the Mattel one is better than the JW one.

not the Alpha one, which is grossly oversized

If we go by tie-in media, the Alpha Pteranodon was apparently supposed to be over-sized. 

The Mattel one is certainly better than the JW one.  No it's not as great as the JP3 ones really,  of which the Alpha Pteranodon was easily the best.   Big and really detailed.  Papo actually made the best film accurate version.

EmperorDinobot

So I got the Dino Damage Herrerasaurus. I'll do the review tomorrow night, hopefully the review team will post it quickly. Preliminary results are as follows: Wrong number of digits on both feet and hands, as well as a tail dragging pose are highly distracting, even by vintage means. But hips and shoulders are ball jointed. I'm also not enthused on the fact that it's such a small animal, but is that really a problem? We shall find out. The dino damage mechanism is actually more interesting than Hasbro's take a few year's back. It's more difficult to trigger.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Based on images I'd put the Herrera in the same tier as the Dimetrodon,  sort of one the weakest sculpts.   I think anything in the film turned out good but anything not seems to be having issues..I wonder if that's a result of the Universal fact checker having no idea what it was? 

ChrisLikesDinos

I made a small Imgur album featuring before/after gifs of some stylistic edits I'd like to see from Mattel in the future:

https://imgur.com/a/bITIf

Obviously it's too late for these toys to change, I just used them as specific examples.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

Good to see a comparison of both Trikes.

Mattel´s Triceratops wins in terms of playability and screen accuracy, but Kenners´s Triceratops is better size-wise.

MLMjp

Quote from: ChrisLikesDinos on April 06, 2018, 05:26:57 PM
I made a small Imgur album featuring before/after gifs of some stylistic edits I'd like to see from Mattel in the future:

https://imgur.com/a/bITIf
Obviously it's too late for these toys to change, I just used them as specific examples.

The actual figure has a better head, sligthly similar to your edit:

Despite that goofy sail and those really bright colors, I still like that Suchomimus, don't know why but I think it looks cool. But yeah, if the sail was like in you edit it will be way better. Also not need to fix the position of the tail, it is articulated just like the Carnotaurus, so you can adjust its position.

Jose S.M.

That head sculpt is actually nice, how did they managed to make it look that bad in the promo pics? also who thought of those colors?  :D

THORRIDUS89

Quote from: MLMjp on April 07, 2018, 12:07:44 AM
Good to see a comparison of both Trikes.

Mattel´s Triceratops wins in terms of playability and screen accuracy, but Kenners´s Triceratops is better size-wise.

Agreed. I was surprised the Mattel Triceratops was as small as it was it always looked about the size of the origignal in the pictures to me at least but it is great none the less.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.