News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2019, 12:20:14 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 07, 2019, 12:06:38 AM
Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2019, 06:50:51 PM
That cave bear could use a review!

After he does something for the ANIMAL Toy Blog (wink wink, nudge nudge LOL)

Yes, let's see that too!

Haha, you guys! ;D I'm actually in the process of workin on 4 reviews, 2 for ATB and 2 for DTB- I have just been all over the place so never finished any of them yet, but I'm getting there ;D

Bokisaurus

Well well, look what just arrived!
Wow, finally got this beautiful Eofauna Deinotherium- and it's amazingly impressive!
Beautiful sculpting all around and good size as well.
[

And now for some comparison pics  ^-^
With Eofauna's other prehistoric elephants
[]

And with it's predecessors from other brands as well as the other two other prehistoric elephants recently, and one modern asian elephant. Now, we just need Schleich, Safari, and Papo to release their own version-then we will have a complete range ^-^
[]

well, hope you all enjoyed! Now bring in the Atlasaurus!
Cheers! :D

Shonisaurus

Thank you Bokisaurus for the photographs, I have sincerely been impressed by this Eofauna deinotherium is much larger than its Collecta counterpart and even competes in size with the Eofauna antiquus palaeoloxodon. Magnificent figure, I hope to see photographs of the other exceptional figure of Eofauna atlasaurus.

It has been a year of figures of authentic luxury by Eofauna few figures, but of an unusual quality. Sometimes it is worth little and good than much and bad.

Concavenator

Congrats on your fantastic  new acquisition! B @Bokisaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 08, 2019, 11:12:27 PM
Magnificent figure, I hope to see photographs of the other exceptional figure of Eofauna atlasaurus.

It has been a year of figures of authentic luxury by Eofauna few figures, but of an unusual quality. Sometimes it is worth little and good than much and bad.
Agreed. Being a slow collector I prefer quality over quantity. Eofauna's figure may take some time until they are revealed and released but my god, is the wait worth it! Each of them is an absolute stunner.

Bokisaurus

Well, I finally got this amazing Atlasaurus figure from Eofauna last week. Great figure of this odd-looking sauropod.
Since I plan on reviewing this figure, I am holding off posting more photos of it, saving them for the review. But here are a few just to give you an idea of what it looks on hand.
The blue is subtle and light-dependent, but really nice pop of color.
[]

And with the Deinotherium that came before it.
[]

Cheers! ^-^

Shonisaurus

Thanks Bokisaurus for showing in photographs that strange and strange sauropod masterfully made by Eofauna. I hope there is a quick review of that figure. It deserves a good review for its unbeatable quality.

Concavenator

Duna

Really looking forward to your review. Finally we can also have the quality pictures this figure deserves!  ^-^

Bokisaurus

Well, finally the long awaited and much hyped Papo limited edition Spinosaurus is here!
First, due to the associated cost of shipping it with the box, I opened to have it shipped without it- it would have doubled the shipping cost for a box I don't really care for.
I got this figure from Dejankins for $57 USD, the most expensive Papo figure so far and that's on sale already!
[
The only reason I got this figure is that since reviewing both the PNSO and Safari versions, I have become fascinated by this new Spino look and really wanted to complete my collection of figures in this new reconstruction from the major brands... so despite bulking at the price tag, I went for it... I can always eat top ramen for the next few weeks! ;D

So, the figure is huge, easily dwarfs all the others by far! And as expected, we get all of the high production qualities we have come to expect from Papo in terms of details.
I actually like this figure despite its flaws, it fact it could very well be my favorite Papo figure not because of its accuracy, far from it. I love it simply for it's creativity in its interpretation of this new look and for the high production qualities.
Of all the new figures based on this new reconstruction, PApo's version really stands out from the pack.
[]
Despite it's inaccuracies, I really love the tail and it's unique eel-like design. It's so over the top and unique. For me this really sets it apart and is a refreshing look from the rest of them which I'm starting to feel the fatigue to be honest. With so many new figures based on this new look, one more figure added needs to the herd needs to be really unique to make it stand out and memorable, and Papo really succeeded in this area in my opinion. There is nothing like it out there.
[]
I was worried about the colors after seeing some of the first really product photos, but in hand, it's not bad and fits in with the rest of Papo's color schemes. It is rich with all shades of browns, black, orange, white, and yellows - all creating a very pleasing tapestry of colors and are all very well blended.
The only thing that I was not happy about is the very visible seams on the tail, it really is a shame that it's that visible. You would think that with such a pricy figure, Papo would have really figured out a way to get rid of it like the high -end PNSO figures.
Speaking of price, this figure now ranks with the large PNSO figure in term of cost, and is very overpriced really for what yogurt compared to the PNSO's that came with bases or even other species.
[]
The head is nice and the over-sized teeth are very well sculpted and really sharp and not blunted. The articulation is masterfully done like all of Papo's.
The feet have webbings on them as well, and if you look under the pads have really beautiful details like what you would see on a birds feet.
[]
At first I was not a fan of the pose, but looking at it on hand, I have come to appreciate and like it. The pose has flexibility and you can be creative on how you can pose it, it's great to have a figure that can be posed multiple ways.
You can pose it with the head up as if it's surfacing, or pointed down as it dives, partially out of the water as it comes out, or running towards the water - your pick.
The head is tilted tot he side and is slightly looking up, the sail is wavy and gives you a sense of how it may have moved, and of course that fishy tail that curves sharply and its point slightly flipped up.

With some of the figures from PNSO, CollectA, and Schleich. My Safari is currently on loan and was not able to join the photo op ;D
[]
So despite its many flaws and artistic license in its reconstruction, I find myself really admiring this figure.It really is a uniquely sculpted and interpreted version of Spinosaurus, one that, IN my opinion captures the weirdness of this animal.
Overall, if you are a big Spinosaurus fan, this one is definitely something worth adding, and even if Spino is not your favorite (like me), it is still worth adding if only because of the uniqueness of it that would truly set it apart from all of the other Spinosaurus figures out there.
[]
Cheers! ;D

PhilSauria

Fantastic photo session of an amazing piece of paleoart, because that's how I see it - any issues with the science on this one are, in my opinion, completely overshadowed by the art of the interpretation. Full marks to the sculptor for their 'artistic licence'.

Completely agree with your comments, that's exactly how I approach this version of what must have been a simply incredible animal to see in the flesh! Papo have really brought this one to life for me, it is so naturalistic that much as I intended to pick up every Spinosaur that came out this year I don't think I'll be adding the Safari (sorry Doug!) or the Mojo, but I will be after the Rebor.

Great to see this one alongside the other versions too, especially the PNSO. I'm going to have these two displayed close to each other when I finally get mine - roll on January! (which is when Mini Zoo will have them in stock over here in Australia). Great post - can't stop looking at that image of the head coming at you, think I'll be printing it and sticking it on the wall!

Fenestra

Great review. Thank you.
I like the "well fed" look from Papo a lot more than the "emaciated" look from PNSO.
Especially the neck. Papo 1 - PNSO 0.

Now all we can do is wait for Rebor's release of the grab'n'go Spino. 
Who will be the next winner?
Exciting times ahead!  ;D

Shonisaurus

I just received the two long-awaited spinosaurus from urzeitshop and everythingdinosaur and I am totally excited. The figure is beautiful and I can corroborate what Bokisaurus says. It is five stars with that I say everything very detailed and I do not regret buying it. It is perhaps Papo's best figure this year outshines in quality even the outstanding pentaceratops and gorgosaurus together. The painting is relentless and maybe I stay with this profile picture indefinitely for my love of that figure. On the other hand I also received the deinotherium and atlasaurus and they are also magnificent, I hope to review them in my personal collection thread.

It is a work of art and a masterpiece the Papo spinosaurus. I recommend this figure because the money you spend on it you invest in buying a paleoarte work of the most worthy collection toy sincerely speaking. And the jaw has no articulation problems as the PNSO spinosaurus articulates perfectly and can be left without problems of knowing itself, with the mouth open or with the mouth closed. It is a figure of honor registration. Thanks Papo and thanks to the sculptor who made this beauty!

If Papo's giganotosaurus is as detailed as this figure and perfectly executed, Papo can be assured that I will be a sure and faithful buyer despite his scientific inaccuracies and his forced and humanoid posture. But what has been said Papo spinosaurus is a highly recommended figure.

Libraraptor

Faelrin

Fantastic comparison images. I particularly like the one with it attacking the Therizinosaurus. Great write up on this. It certainly makes me more anticipated for when I can get my hands on this beast.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

Thanks for your illuminating detailed review and the usual excellent batch of photos.

Uncle Rex

Great photos, as always - thanks. I really like the colours of Papo's spino. And, overall, I prefer it to PNSO's version. Papo's looks like a real animal while PNSO's is too ... ornate? Looks more like a decorative dragon than a dinosaur.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Fenestra on December 14, 2019, 10:49:09 PM
I like the "well fed" look from Papo a lot more than the "emaciated" look from PNSO.
Especially the neck. Papo 1 - PNSO 0.

avatar_Fenestra @Fenestra: The Spinosaurus is one of the very few PNSO dinosaurs I don't own.  And the main reason I didn't go for it is the neck - glad to see someone else had the same reaction!

Killekor

Thanks Bokisaurus for your review and for the photos of the new Papo Spinosaurus!
I completely agree with you about it: It's undoubtedly the most impressive between all the "modern" Spinosaurus sculpting as an artistic work.
Thanks also for the comparison pictures with the CollectA and Schleich models! I knew that it was a big figure, but it's size really exceeded my expectations: it's amazingly huge! I love huge figures as long as they're not too big, and the big size of this model makes it (for me) perfect from every point of view. Now I'll wait even more impatiently the model that I'm waiting from Alcaiceria!
Congratulations for having it! I'm sure that it will become a legend of dinosaur collecting, as it has been until last year the Brown Running T-Rex.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Nimravus

Hey Boki, I love reading this thread, because of your comments, the quality of the photos and the comparison pictures, they are extremely useful when evaluating if buying one figurine or not. I got the Spino from Urzeitshop, and I agree with you that it is much better in hand than from photos. I loved the new approach to the tail as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: