News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

Why wont any companies make large sauropod dinosaurs the size they used to be years ago? papo was the last with brachiosaurus . Yet in the past they had so many big sauropod figures. Dont understand why collecta cant make a large deluxe sauropod over 14 inches long. They have other big deluxe figures so i cant see why they keep there sauropod figures so small.

CityRaptor

Sauropods are just not as popular as Theropods. Perhaps no longer as popular as they used to be. Although there will be a large Brachiosaurus in the JW line.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately, a large-sized sauropod costs money for a dinosaur toy brand and if it is not sold later, it is a failure for the toy company and they have to amortize these losses by selling the large sauropods they have produced and discontinue that figure. years and involves incalculable economic losses. Most parents are not willing to buy figures for their children that involve large expenses for their portfolio and the most important thing also influences the size when saving these figures in a house. With the exception of collectors, most people are not willing to buy such huge figures for economic and space reasons. That's the reason.

I also yearn for the golden age of the great toy sauropods of companies like Safari, but I am aware that this implies many financial expenses. Just making the plate where the mold is made, according to what I was told, is a huge expense for a company. I do not think that any dinosaur company of PVC makes a big sauropod in the next few years I understand that they have had bad experiences when selling these figures and I sincerely understand it with great pain of my soul since I like sauropods with sizes acceptable as Battat's diplodocus for example.

Sauropelta

There's the Huanghetitan by PNSO which is too big at 1/18 scale. Largest sauropod figure on the market. Papo Brachiosaurus is second biggest at 1/45 & Malawisaurus is third I think at 1/40.

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

acro-man

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Shonisaurus

Joey

Hey, I mean, there are still a lot of large sauropod figures available on the market retired or not. None of them are really hard to get with a little searching on eBay and with some cash.
Here's a small list of the biggest sauropod figures/toys that are still available on eBay and other websites.

Ultrasaurus by Playskool 21" tall - about $100 to $150 on eBay
Mattel 2019 Brachiosaurus (about as tall as Ultrasaurus if not bigger) - $??
PNSO Huanghetitan 16" tall - $55 to $70 on eBay
Carnegie Brachiosaurus 14" tall - (Dejankins sells the 2007 repaint at $45)
Carnegie Diplodocus 22" long at curve - $45 to $55 on eBay
Replicasaurus 1993 "Brachiosaurus" 13" tall - $40 to $60 on eBay
Replicasaurus 2007 Brachiosaurus 13" tall - (Dejankins sells it at $34)
Replicasaurus 2008 Apatosaurus 20" long - (Dejankins sells it at $39)
Papo Brachiosaurus 13" tall - (Dejankins sells it at $45)
And that's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of available plastic giants.

Remko

I've also posted them in my own thread, but here are some other large sauropod figures. They are relatively cheap "Chinasaur" figures. Hollow and made from a soft material.

But they are nice and big, perfectly suited for your 1/35th or 1/40th collection. Officially they are both labeled "Diplodocus". But the smaller one resembles an Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus more, while the larger one is indetermined.

Details are pretty good. Small scales across the entire body, a very wide Apatosaurine neck, and correct horseshoe shaped hands with only a single thumbclaw visible.
Only the heads aren't really that good, too big and too toy-ish.

First, large figure, about 86 cm along the spine. Tail is a bit disappointing though.

Second, smaller, figure, about 60 cm long stretch out.

Together.

PhilSauria

Have both of these and am quite happy with them, though I did re-paint the 'smaller' one.

I have seen recent listings from whoever makes these with a few new additions to their range, including a Brachiosaurus that also comes in two sizes - big and even bigger!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 23, 2020, 12:57:34 AM
Have both of these and am quite happy with them, though I did re-paint the 'smaller' one.

I have seen recent listings from whoever makes these with a few new additions to their range, including a Brachiosaurus that also comes in two sizes - big and even bigger!

Do you have a Link to these new Figures, or the Info?

CityRaptor

Quote from: Joey on November 21, 2018, 10:42:45 PM
Hey, I mean, there are still a lot of large sauropod figures available on the market retired or not. None of them are really hard to get with a little searching on eBay and with some cash.
Here's a small list of the biggest sauropod figures/toys that are still available on eBay and other websites.

Ultrasaurus by Playskool 21" tall - about $100 to $150 on eBay
Mattel 2019 Brachiosaurus (about as tall as Ultrasaurus if not bigger) - $??
PNSO Huanghetitan 16" tall - $55 to $70 on eBay
Carnegie Brachiosaurus 14" tall - (Dejankins sells the 2007 repaint at $45)
Carnegie Diplodocus 22" long at curve - $45 to $55 on eBay
Replicasaurus 1993 "Brachiosaurus" 13" tall - $40 to $60 on eBay
Replicasaurus 2007 Brachiosaurus 13" tall - (Dejankins sells it at $34)
Replicasaurus 2008 Apatosaurus 20" long - (Dejankins sells it at $39)
Papo Brachiosaurus 13" tall - (Dejankins sells it at $45)
And that's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of available plastic giants.

Yeah, clearly the Dino Riders Brontosaurus is missing here. Their Diplodocus, while smaller, would fit in, too.
Oh no

PhilSauria

Link to the listing at Ali Express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000789405445.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7a7f430cn5Ph5D&algo_pvid=8fe70831-c40c-40e6-9fa4-48a1a888b1fb&algo_expid=8fe70831-c40c-40e6-9fa4-48a1a888b1fb-3&btsid=0be3769015979650890296408ee3ea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Some of the items pictured when you scroll down are not available on the selection panel where you place your order, which is a bit annoying. Like the smaller Brachiosaurus. The Dilophosaurus image is so vague it's hard to tell what quality that figure is, looks a little like the Recur, but who knows.

Baryonyx

It looks like the Gosnell giant sauropods, especially the smaller one are based on the Favorite co. Apatosaurus, blown up in size.

Remko

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 24, 2020, 01:27:25 AM
Link to the listing at Ali Express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000789405445.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7a7f430cn5Ph5D&algo_pvid=8fe70831-c40c-40e6-9fa4-48a1a888b1fb&algo_expid=8fe70831-c40c-40e6-9fa4-48a1a888b1fb-3&btsid=0be3769015979650890296408ee3ea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Some of the items pictured when you scroll down are not available on the selection panel where you place your order, which is a bit annoying. Like the smaller Brachiosaurus. The Dilophosaurus image is so vague it's hard to tell what quality that figure is, looks a little like the Recur, but who knows.

That large Brachiosaurus figure looks nice (apart from the head), but no size given, except for the "40 to 78 cm".

I did order it though. Was the same price as the large Diplodocus figure which is about 80 cm long. So the Brachiosaurus should be about the same size.

Roselaar

Has there ever been a widely available Sauropod figure larger than the new Mattel Brachiosaurus?

CityRaptor

The Horizon Brachiosaurus maybe?  Or maybe the plush one by Dakin? Does anyone have those?

Speaking of plush dinosaurs, saw that one in the new Ikea catalogue:
https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/jaettelik-stofftier-dinosaurier-dinosaurier-brontosaurus-30471174/
Oh no

Remko

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 25, 2020, 08:48:57 PM
The Horizon Brachiosaurus maybe?  Or maybe the plush one by Dakin? Does anyone have those?

Speaking of plush dinosaurs, saw that one in the new Ikea catalogue:
https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/jaettelik-stofftier-dinosaurier-dinosaurier-brontosaurus-30471174/

Funny, in Germany this toy costs € 25, in the Netherlands € 18. Big difference.
Might just go and get that one.  ;D 8)

The Horizon Brachiosaurus kit does indeed seem to be the largest available. It was at 1/19th scale and over 90 cm tall when completed.

I can recall that the local Toys 'R' Us used to sell the Horizon kits back in the day (1993 / 94). But as far as I remember I never saw the Brachiosaurus, mostly Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus.

Here's a nice video about the building and painting of that kit.

https://youtu.be/br0lhrXc-yc

I have to say, the other Horizon kits never spoke to me, the raptors just had weird "zombie" hands. But the Brachiosaurus, wow, what a beauty! Very movie consistent. So gracile as well!
Too bad they are very hard if not impossible to find.

Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to stick with the Tamiya 1/35th kit that's still waiting for me to start building it.

KeU

Does the W-Dragon Giraffatitan and Nanmu Apatosaurus count?
Those 2 are good sized and compare favorably with the PNSO Huanghetitan.

Remko

I've received the Gosnell Brachiosaurus / Giraffatitan last week. It's a nice large figure, but a bit toyish.

Pro's: Large, and perfectly in scale with their Diplodocus. It's about 66,5 cm long across the spine and 39,5 cm tall to the top of the head.
The hands again are very realistic. Horseshoe shaped and with only a single claw.

Con's: Head is way too large. But to be fair, this is a problem with just about every sauropod figure/toy, except perhaps Eofauna and PNSO. Sauropods had ridiculous small heads. Even the head on the  huge Apatosaurus was about the size of that of a large horse.
The figure is also, well, fat. It has a quite rotund body to be exact and with a very thick neck.

Overall, it's more for the sandbox than for the display shelf.

Will post pictures of it in my collection thread when I have the time.

Remko

There are big sauropod figures, like the PNSO and older Safari figures, the giants like Nanmu Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus and W-Dragon Giraffatitan, and then there is this monster.

Maraapunisaurus (Amphicoelias) fragillimus.
Ordered the big one and it finally arrived today. It's massive! I know, regarding our current understanding, I could have choosen the smaller version. But I wanted this. The biggest. Because it shows the immense size of what we once thought this animal to look like, and, who knows, whicb still could be, as is shown with the giant Barosaurus fossils we know.

Box.

Body, neck and head (which is likely a bit too large). Tail isn't fitted yet.

With Eofauna's Diplodocus. Really showing that this genus was more length than bulk.

And with African elephant bull from Schleich.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: