You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2021/2022 palaeontological wishes and predictions

Started by Sim, November 15, 2021, 07:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

There wasn't this kind of thread for 2021 which is coming to an end now, so this thread can be for 2021 and 2022.  Post what you wish or predict for palaeontology in 2021 or 2022.

Here are my wishes:

1. More remains of Dakotaraptor
Dakotaraptor is interesting, it's a large dromaeosaurid with large sickle claws which lived in the environment of the Hell Creek Formation.  However, it's still not known what it looks like due to being represented only by very fragmentary remains.  I would like to know what Dakotaraptor was actually like.

2. More remains of Achillobator
Similar to the previous one, this is another giant dromaeosaurid known from very fragmentary remains.  I would love to know what it actually looked like!  An interesting thing about Achillobator is that unlike Utahraptor which was the largest predator in its environment, and unlike Dakotaraptor which coexisted with the much larger Tyrannosaurus, Achillobator coexisted with a tyrannosauroid of similar size to it: Alectrosaurus.

3. More remains of Harpactognathus
Harpactognathus is very interesting, it's a rhamphorhynchid from the Morrison Formation that might have been the largest long-tailed pterosaur, the paper naming it estimated its wingspan at 2.5m minimum!  Additionally the cross-section of some of its teeth is circular while others had an oval cross-section, giving it a formidable mouth.  It's also only one of three pterosaurs named from the Morrison Formation, and out of these its the one whose appearance can be reconstructed most reliably.  Even though so much is known of Harpactognathus it's only remains are an upper jaw/snout.  I would very much like the rest of its skeleton found.  I think more remains of Harpactognathus would also settle whether it's a scaphognathine (which is what I think it is) or a rhamphorhynchine, possibly bringing Sericipterus and maybe Angustinaripeterus with it.

4. More remains of Parapsicephalus
This is the first time Parapsicephalus has its name on this forum! :)  Parapsicephalus is another very interesting rhamphorhynchid only known from very fragmentary remains that could be the largest long-tailed pterosaur, one estimate I've seen is an over 3m wingspan.  Another interesting thing about Parapsicephalus is that the top of its skull is convex, a feature that among pterosaurs is also found only in dimorphodontids.  Perhaps Parapsicephalus is transitional between an earlier dimorphodontid-type anatomy and more advanced rhamphorhynchid-type anatomy?

5. More remains of the second Morrison Formation rhamphorhynchid and a name for it
The paper that named Harpactognathus also showed a lower jaw of another large rhamphorhynchid from the Morrison Formation which couldn't belong to Harpactognathus due to the placement of the tooth sockets.  Unlike Harpactognathus which has a broad snout, this other rhamphorhynchid has a narrow snout.  It hasn't been named and it gives us a further glimpse at the pterosaurs of the Morrison Formation.

6. An adult Sinornithosaurus specimen that has its feather arrangement preserved
This would help resolve the question of whether Sinornithosaurus could fly.

7. The missing parts of Wukongopterus found
Wukongopterus is a long-tailed pterosaur whose name is used to create the family Wukongopteridae.  It's known from a nearly complete specimen that is missing its thumbs and parts of its head.  I've seen some reconstructions of Wukongpterus that have made me quite fond of it and I would like for its missing parts to be found so exactly what it looks like can be seen.

8. What kind of theropods megaraptorans are to be worked out
It's still uncertain what kind of theropod megaraptorans are and it would be nice for it to be worked out.  A quite complete specimen would help!  So far megaraptorans are only known from very fragmentary remains, and it would be very good to have a relatively complete specimen of this strange group.

9. What kind of dinosaur Chilesaurus is to be worked out
Chilesaurus is so weird, I don't know how someone could work out what it is beyond being a dinosaur unless a transitional form is found.

GojiraGuy1954

1. Spinosaurus arms
2. Tyrannosaurus skin impressions
3. Borealopelta back half
4. More of Herrerasaurus
5. Therizinosaurus skull
6. Name for the Giant Kenyan Abelisaurid (Titanovenator please)
7. More mammoth mummies
8. New species from the La Brea tar pit
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Classifying megaraptorans would be nice. I'd also like more remains of Spinosaurus, Andrewsarchus, and Gigantopithecus to be discovered.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Antey

The only thing I'm waiting for is a scientific publication of Fighting Dinosaurs. It will be, and the rest of the wishes in the topic is speculation and a childish dream.
I will reveal a secret - the best finds and publications are ahead. It's just that not everyone will live to see them.

Bread

Liking this thread idea and the list people have made. Here's mine:
-more evidence of lip/lipless debate/more of 
a conclusion I'd like to see happen, 
specifically for Tyrannosaurus as it seems
whenever lips are mentioned for whatever
reason this genus is brought up or used
-more Edmontosaurus remains, specifically 
skin impressions to show give more depth of
skin patterns and pigment
-hoping for another unique prehistoric shark
to be discovered

Shonisaurus

I wish there were more finds of the patagotitan and argentinosaurus and some complete skulls of those two super gigantic sauropods.

On the other hand, I would like to find a skeleton of sarmientosaurus and more complete remains of bajadasaurus.

I also wish that more complete remains of the meekerorum siats were found and that data on the skeleton and skull were glimpsed.

On the other hand I would also like more complete parts of the quetzalcoatlus and a complete and articulated skeleton of tyrannosaurus rex in the complete adult stage.

I also wish a complete and sufficiently articulated skeleton of the paraceratherium was found.

Lynx

I wish for one thing and one thing only: Have a paper describing spinosaurus arms. It'll end the massive debate once and for all-

I mean, I suppose I also wish they find some fossil remains in jungle-like regions, though that's very difficult if not impossible due to the acidic soil and how quick things are to decompose.
An oversized house cat.

Nanuqsaurus

Prediction: Spinosaurus gets a new reconstruction once again, drastically altering its appearance. Maybe the hind legs turn out to be the arms instead, or it used jet propulsion for underwater movement or something.
Wish: Complete adult Brachiosaurus preserved in amber.

Libraraptor

My wish is we find more unexpected things which give us reason to childishly seeing it in real. 

Sim

Quote from: Antey on November 15, 2021, 09:39:05 PM
The only thing I'm waiting for is a scientific publication of Fighting Dinosaurs. It will be, and the rest of the wishes in the topic is speculation and a childish dream.
I will reveal a secret - the best finds and publications are ahead. It's just that not everyone will live to see them.

???  Why do you have to bring negativity into this thread?  Your wish is just as valid as other people's, it's not superior.  What I think is childish is saying other people's wishes are childish.

GojiraGuy1954

You know there's been hints of Spino arms by ibrahim and rumours of a theri skull paper right

GojiraGuy1954

and Borealopelta's back half exists. It's just lost for the moment.
Kenyan Giant Abelisaur has also already been found.

Sim

I forgot one other wish I have:

10. More remains of Staurikosaurus
Staurikosaurus is a herrerasaurid with a proportionally long snout.  I've always found it intriguing, since when I was little when I saw reconstructions of it.  I'm eager to see what its head actually looked like!  (For now the upper half of its head is unknown.)  I'd like missing parts of Staurikosaurus to be found.

BlueKrono

Same wish as for the last 97 years... more fossils of Andrewsarchus beyond the One. Bone. we have. Maybe someday I'll cobble together a paleontological expedition to the Gobi desert.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Bread

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 16, 2021, 11:30:20 PM
Same wish as for the last 97 years... more fossils of Andrewsarchus beyond the One. Bone. we have. Maybe someday I'll cobble together a paleontological expedition to the Gobi desert.
Its funny because I would say that one individual skull is iconic, and I have to agree. Would love to see more fossils discovered in the next few years.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on November 16, 2021, 08:35:13 PM

???  Why do you have to bring negativity into this thread?  Your wish is just as valid as other people's, it's not superior.  What I think is childish is saying other people's wishes are childish.

Indeed. None of the items in the OP are in any way childish; they are all within the realm of possibility. Was it childish ten years ago to hope for a complete skeleton of Deinocheirus? Of course not.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Palaeontologica

A more complete specimen of Hatzegopteryx or some other large azhdarchid. With the upcoming monograph on Quetzalcoatlus apparently naming two new species from the "Q." sp. specimens, all we have now is fragmentary remains and informed speculation.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

- Arthur C. Clarke

Libraraptor

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 16, 2021, 11:30:20 PM

I´m in! :D

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on November 15, 2021, 07:30:55 PM
8. What kind of theropods megaraptorans are to be worked out
It's still uncertain what kind of theropod megaraptorans are and it would be nice for it to be worked out.  A quite complete specimen would help!  So far megaraptorans are only known from very fragmentary remains, and it would be very good to have a relatively complete specimen of this strange group.

Don't recall the exact post where it was said, but Rubén Molina from Eofauna said on Facebook that megaraptorans can quite unequivocally be placed within Tyrannosauroidea.

Sim

That's interesting, but there isn't a consensus among palaeontologists as there hasn't been a study that has conclusively shown what megaraptorans are.  So it's still not clear what kind of theropod megaraptorans are.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: