News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Concavenator’s Collection (new 08/05/2024)

Started by Concavenator, May 01, 2021, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on October 15, 2021, 06:59:16 PM
S @SidB Thanks for stopping by!  :)

Quote from: SidB on October 15, 2021, 01:53:20 AMIf lack of space becomes a big problem, perhaps acquiring and installing more shelves can make the bookshelf more accommodating?

I don't have much space left on the shelves (as can be seen  :)) ), but I don't have space for extra shelves in my room either.
So I think my collection will end when I run out of space (which will be relatively soon). I'm very happy with the figures I currently have and at this point I'm only interested in a few certain figures and that's it. I wouldn't have space for more if I wanted, unless I got rid of some figures. This could be an option but I have already got rid of quite some figures and I have kept what I consider the very best of what I had.  When I run out of space, I will probably be looking into getting a cabinet similar to avatar_Duna @Duna 's, so my collection could be in safer conditions. As it's currently exposed, I have to dust the figures periodically.
Well, one approach that I took is to install intermediate horizontal shelves in the bookcase between the existing shelves. This works where the figures aren't too tall.
The other idea is much more radical, but it works. Use the empty space along the walls near the top  where wall meets ceiling, maybe 12-18  inches (30 - 45 cm) below the ceiling. I've made a continuous shelf using Ikea wall- mounted picture holders (white), screwed into the wall with anchors, laid one after another in a continuous run. I can send a picture if you want.

Concavenator

Thanks everyone for your comments  :)

Quote from: Grimbeard on October 16, 2021, 08:02:31 AMFunny how your two 2 Schleich Dinosarus are the same two I bought: The Diabloceratops is currently in my off-shelve while I got the Parasaurolopuhs for my niece last christmas since i thought it was a great mix of reasonable accuracy, nice color scheme and durability.

My Eofaunce Giga has the same stability issues, I hope they can improve the stability on their next biped model since their sculpts are so nice and natural.

You have a great taste!  ;) And regarding the Eofauna Giga, mine was able to stand by itself for about a year. It's to be expected that a biped model that isn't given any sort of extra support will eventually start toppling imo. If I get any other biped figure, I will make sure to keep the plastic stand that usually comes included.

avatar_Duna @Duna S @SidB Thank you very much for your advice!  ^-^ I hadn't thought about that, but I'll consider it. That could potentially expand my collection's lifespan by quite a bit. Although for the moment I'm aiming more towards getting an Ikea cabinet.

SidB, feel free to send me a pic if you like, please. Would like to see what it looks like.

Halichoeres

Very nice additions to a well-curated collection. I'm a big fan of the Dicraeosaurus especially.

On another note, I have both the EoFauna sauropod book and the Saurian field guide and can recommend both.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 16, 2021, 04:04:21 PMVery nice additions to a well-curated collection. I'm a big fan of the Dicraeosaurus especially.

On another note, I have both the EoFauna sauropod book and the Saurian field guide and can recommend both.

Thank you! In spite of poor sauropodomorphs not getting a lot of attention from model making companies, it is still surprising to see this genus neglected this clearly. It was high time a decent model of one appeared, and it's a lovely one.

And those books are definitely going into my wishlist.

SidB

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , here are several quick shots of the 'ceiling' displays, featuring the bulk of my Safari and Carnegie Safari collection, using 3 and 4 foot long sections of Ikea wall-mount units, originally intended for pictures. They attach at 3 points at the back of the units, utilizing plastic anchors and long screws, drilled into the wall. These units also come in black.

This is space not typically used by collectors, but it has advantages, one being that it is non-competitive for wall space. This particular display is employed along both sides of a hallway connecting the living area of the condominium with the back bedroom area.

Concavenator

S @SidB Thank you so much for the pics! What a clever idea, it would have never occurred to me to place some stands in a place like that, but the result is rather effective, since not only is it a way of avoiding competition for space as you mention, but still looks very nice. And it doesn't seem to be too invasive towards the rest of the corridor. I will keep this idea in mind.

PD: You have a really nice collection, and the addition of vegetation adds a lot of points. It gives the feeling of not only displaying the many good figures you have, but also creating a "scene".

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on October 17, 2021, 10:30:35 PM
S @SidB Thank you so much for the pics! What a clever idea, it would have never occurred to me to place some stands in a place like that, but the result is rather effective, since not only is it a way of avoiding competition for space as you mention, but still looks very nice. And it doesn't seem to be too invasive towards the rest of the corridor. I will keep this idea in mind.

PD: You have a really nice collection, and the addition of vegetation adds a lot of points. It gives the feeling of not only displaying the many good figures you have, but also creating a "scene".
You're welcome, the employment of the 'ceiling' displays was a bit of a desperation measure, since at the time there was little other alternative, but the results speak for themselves. I now also use a large bookshelf system for my PNSO', Vitae and Papo collections, which display well together. Many of the Papo's have under gone modifications, seen in my repaint thread. My Battats, Invictas, Schleichs and miscellaneous others are in box storage, awaiting for a time to rotate them into display mode.

Halichoeres

Sid, those hall shelves are a fantastic way to wring the utility out of the space. You're giving me ideas.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

Yeah the space above the doors.  My friend uses it for additional bookshelves,  but you really had a great idea with putting your figures there.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor ; to tell the truth,  I've received so much inspiration from various contributors over the years on the DTF, in so many ways, it's always good to be able to return a bit to others.

Bread

Wonderful and creative display SidB! Where did you get those palm trees if I may ask?

Sorry to go off topic of Concavenator's collection thread. Also, lovely display you have as well. I understand your scenario on running low on space. I too had that issue and had to downsize for a bit until I figured out my space and shelf issue.

SidB

Briefly, because yes, this is avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator 's thread, (apologies), they were acquired off of eBay in cheap multi-packs, under the rubric " plastic tree" or plastic palm tree" or some such. Most don't have bases, but have to be inserted into a styrofoam one.
I believe these are still available.

Concavenator

No need to apologize, folks! This may be my collection's thread, but S @SidB has shared something that could result helpful to some of us, so I'm glad for this :) And what are threads for if it isn't for creating debates anyways?

Concavenator

Name: Récords y curiosidades de los dinosaurios terópodos y otros dinosauromorfos.
Author/s: Rubén Molina-Pérez & Asier Larramendi
Publishing house: Larousse
Year of publication: 2016

Review:

Spoiler
A must-have for any theropod lovers like me. Very interesting information, accurate size measurements... It's not totally uptated (it's from 2016), so newer discoveries are obviously missing (you may notice things like Suskityrannus being called "Zunityrannus"), but even so, a total masterpiece that's probably the most complete and thoroughly researched book about theropods at the moment. Couldn't recommend it enough.
[close]

This is my collection as of November 2021:

SidB

Well done, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , clearly for you, less is more. It's a terrific thing to own a collection, rather than to be owned by it. The latter is a form of slavery - no joy there.

Halichoeres

That's a very tidy setup, congratulations. And trading in some Papos for the PNSO Borealopelta and the EoFauna book definitely classes the place up!

stoneage

I really like your shelves in the hall way.  It's like one big diorama and there high enough to keep animals and children away from them.  The only threat would be dust.  It would be nice if they were at eye level where you didn't have to look up.  I'd like to able to sit in a chair and gaze at them.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisition, for me the PNSO borealopelta is one of the toy-shaped thyrophores that I like the most. I also congratulate you on the theropod book illustrated by Andrey Atuchin, we hope that one day they will publish their sauropod counterpart in our language.

On the other hand, it is better that you have few figures but that your shelves are neat and clean than have many figures and that they are piled up and full of dust. Your collection is very cool. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Concavenator

Thank you all!  :)

Quote from: SidB on November 24, 2021, 04:29:26 PMWell done, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , clearly for you, less is more. It's a terrific thing to own a collection, rather than to be owned by it. The latter is a form of slavery - no joy there.

Have to agree. Even though I've never been a completist, this year I was tempted to buy some figures, partly because of the species they represented (such as Diabloceratops), but now I'm totally focused on quality over quantity. The value each figure has to add has taken the spotlight.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 24, 2021, 07:07:08 PMThat's a very tidy setup, congratulations. And trading in some Papos for the PNSO Borealopelta and the EoFauna book definitely classes the place up!

It definitely is a good trade! I may have less figures, but the mean fitness of my collection increased  ;D

Quote from: stoneage on November 25, 2021, 03:04:05 AMI really like your shelves in the hall way.  It's like one big diorama and there high enough to keep animals and children away from them.  The only threat would be dust.  It would be nice if they were at eye level where you didn't have to look up.  I'd like to able to sit in a chair and gaze at them.

Yup, the collection unfortunately is exposed to dust, but I'm not too worried about this. I will try to follow Duna's advice of getting a cabinet at some point, but until then, I regularly dust the figures off, so they're fine.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 25, 2021, 09:03:00 AMMy congratulations on your new acquisition, for me the PNSO borealopelta is one of the toy-shaped thyrophores that I like the most. I also congratulate you on the theropod book illustrated by Andrey Atuchin, we hope that one day they will publish their sauropod counterpart in our language.

On the other hand, it is better that you have few figures but that your shelves are neat and clean than have many figures and that they are piled up and full of dust. Your collection is very cool. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Thank you! The Borealopelta is great and it's lovely to see a creature known from such excellent remains getting a model of this quality, it's almost the nearest thing we can get to see these long extinct animals. And regarding EoFauna's sauropod book, I might go ahead and get it in English for Christmas, who knows when or if they will publish it in Spanish.

And a side effect of having my collection decrease in size is that I also have to clean less! Dust can be annoying, sure, but it's a threat if you never clean the figures or if you do it less often than you should. Not the case for me, but of course a cabinet is a more effective solution.

Concavenator

These are my first acquisitions of 2022! Though I'm posting them a bit late.

Name: Dinosaur facts and figures: the sauropods and other sauropodomorphs
Author/s: Rubén-Molina Pérez & Asier Larramendi
Publishing house: Princeton
Year of publication: 2020

Review:

Spoiler
As with their theropod book, another great piece of information. It has the same style as it. It also has a paleobotany section at the end, which is rather unique. A must have for anyone who likes sauropods.
[close]

Name: Saurian: a field guide to Hell Creek
Author/s: Tom Parker
Publishing house: Titan Books
Year of publication: 2021

Review:

Spoiler
Quite the in-depth guide about the Hell Creek Formation. It does a great job covering as much as possible its biodiversity: not only dinosaurs, naturally, but also other animals, the local flora... Another great point is its outstanding paleoart. Makes scrolling through it a total pleasure.
[close]

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.