News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum upgrade feedback

Started by DinoToyForum, May 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

So, now that I've upgraded the forum software to the next major version, please let me know if there's any particular feature or function that you notice is missing.

Duna

Looks great! Thank you!

need4swede

Thought something looked different!
Looks great thus far - will edit my post if I find anything.

Noticing that previously posted images no longer seem to auto-resize by default.
- Swede

Thialfi

Thanks for the hard work! Looks spiffy.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: need4swede on May 15, 2022, 10:30:00 AMThought something looked different!
Looks great thus far - will edit my post if I find anything.

Noticing that previously posted images no longer seem to auto-resize by default.

The images should be autoresizing (shrinking) to fit smaller screens. So, no images should overlap off the edge of the screen – let me know if you experience that. On the other hand, I've set the maximum image size to 1500px x 1500px, so perhaps that max size is too large, even on a large screen, and maybe this is what you're experiencing? If so, we can experiment with different max image size settings.

RobinGoodfellow

Thank you for your work  :)

acro-man

Now we can hit a LIKE button? Great!

I would suggest the font to be a little larger, or a little thicker, or the background to be not pure white. It makes reading a little bit hard.

But anyway, good to see some changes and thank you for your endevour!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Crackington

It's looking good Dr Admin, well done.

I agree it's nice to have a like button too and good to see you are encouraging posivity by not having the dislike counterpart!

Just wondering if I'm missing something, but did the last version show how many views a particular thread had? Can't seem to see this feature now...

Concavenator

Wow, the forum looks much nicer now, I'm impressed!

Thank you for all the hard work that went into this change.

BlueKrono

I'm sorry to say, but the formatting is quite irksome. Now to get to recent posts I have to scroll halfway down the DTF main page rather than it being right at the top like before. The fonts and such appear to be larger, meaning I can see less on my screen without having to scroll scroll scroll. It's unduly cumbersome. I think if it remains like this I'll probably just spend less time on the DTF and ATF. Note: I am on a mobile; I don't use a computer. One thing that might help is if Recent Posts had its own separate page I could favorite. That way I could go directly to it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Darko2300

I came here this morning from my email notifications, and was like "Where am I?"  ;D

It looks shiny and new - I think I like it!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 15, 2022, 02:12:09 PMI'm sorry to say, but the formatting is quite irksome. Now to get to recent posts I have to scroll halfway down the DTF main page rather than it being right at the top like before. The fonts and such appear to be larger, meaning I can see less on my screen without having to scroll scroll scroll. It's unduly cumbersome. I think if it remains like this I'll probably just spend less time on the DTF and ATF. Note: I am on a mobile; I don't use a computer. One thing that might help is if Recent Posts had its own separate page I could favorite. That way I could go directly to it.

There is a button for recent posts in the top menu as before. I added this a few hours ago so you may not have seen it yet. The recent posts page is here by the way, if you want to favourite it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=recent

Things like fonts are relatively easy to change. avatar_acro-man @acro-man suggested above they could be larger, while you're suggesting they could be smaller? Are you talking about different parts of the forum?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Crackington on May 15, 2022, 01:59:06 PMIt's looking good Dr Admin, well done.

I agree it's nice to have a like button too and good to see you are encouraging posivity by not having the dislike counterpart!

Just wondering if I'm missing something, but did the last version show how many views a particular thread had? Can't seem to see this feature now...
Thanks.

You're right, the number of topic views used to be listed next to the topic on the board lists, and at the top of individual topics. It still is listed on the board lists, but now seems to be missing from individual topics, and I can't see a setting to make it appear on individual topics. I'll look into this, there may be a check box I've overlooked.

Faelrin

I'll be honest, as an autistic person, I don't handle big changes like site redesigns well. I hopped on here on my phone, and I was shocked and confused why everything looked so different then what I was used to for years now. Desktop site is a little closer to what I was used to (as far as on the phone, need to see it on my laptop later), aside from some of the font sizes are a bit larger, but it could take me a while to process this and get used to it. We'll see.

Edit: Okay on my laptop now. Stuff is pretty similar. I guess I'm just not a fan of all the outlines of the posts in threads. Feels a little too much for my eyes (again, coming as an autistic person who can get visually overstimulated easily). I also miss the buttons at the top. Took me quite a bit of searching to realize they've all been clustered into a drop down menu at the very top. Very easy to miss. Did see that there were two layouts available in one of those drop down buttons, but I'm honestly not sure what's actually different between them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

I don't have a massive problem with the font size, though it's definitely too small for comfort. I wouldn't want to read too long on the Forum any more.  I feel this much more using my desktop than my phone.

One oddity is the quoted sections are in a much larger size than new posts.  This makes the quoted sections stand out a great deal more than the new posts (especially as they have, as before, a blue background)!  Personally I prefer the larger font size that I'm seeing for the quoted sections.

I find the "print" of new posts too faint (too pale a grey?) on both my desktop and laptop.  I think this is what avatar_acro-man @acro-man is referring to when he speaks of it needing to be a bit thicker.  It just doesn't contrast well with the white background.

Thanks for all your hard work, avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum.

DinoToyForum

I've slightly increased the darkness of the main body font to see if that makes it easier to read. I'll look into adjusting the font sizes and quote sizes.

By the way, I'm simply using the software defaults "out of the box", I haven't chosen the font settings myself, so I'm not precious about changing any of them! :)

ceratopsian

Thanks.  Personally I'd like it still darker for greater contrast (and still a bit bigger).  But I have older eyes than most of the users here!

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 03:14:04 PMI've slightly increased the darkness of the main body font to see if that makes it easier to read. I'll look into adjusting the font sizes and quote sizes.

By the way, I'm simply using the software defaults "out of the box", I haven't chosen the font settings myself, so I'm not precious about changing any of them! :)

Sim

Can the total time spent logged in be removed from the main forum page?  It's more information that's not helpful.  And if possible could the number of posts a user has made be added back to the main forum page?

DinoToyForum

I've made the main body font a bit larger, how's that?

ceratopsian

I would still like to see it a point or two bigger - but others may disagree.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 03:52:13 PMI've made the main body font a bit larger, how's that?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: