News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum upgrade feedback

Started by DinoToyForum, May 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Spoilers appear to be working again for me. Thanks for the fix.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2022, 06:51:39 PMThe search function isn't working.  Also when a new reply has been posted while I'm in the process of making a new post, the new reply isn't shown on the post reply page.

The search function is working for me. Make sure you're selecting to search the entire forum and not just a single board or thread, otherwise your search may come back empty. The search field (e.g. top right of forum) gives you those options.

See equivalent screenshot on the ATF here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2990.msg32952#msg32952

For the second issue it comes up with a warning when someone has published something new while you were composing your post. Basically, in those instances you have to click post a "second" time.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2022, 07:19:12 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Spoilers appear to be working again for me. Thanks for the fix.

Great, glad it's working again!

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 07:21:01 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2022, 06:51:39 PMThe search function isn't working.  Also when a new reply has been posted while I'm in the process of making a new post, the new reply isn't shown on the post reply page.

The search function is working for me. Make sure you're selecting to search the entire forum and not just a single board or thread, otherwise your search may come back empty. The search field (e.g. top right of forum) gives you those options.

To me it's important to search single threads which isn't working at all at the moment. Will we have that feature back? It used to work really good until yesterday.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 15, 2022, 08:44:08 PM

To me it's important to search single threads which isn't working at all at the moment. Will we have that feature back? It used to work really good until yesterday.

Hmm, it should still work, did you select the "This topic" option next to the search bar? See the link I posted above.

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 15, 2022, 08:44:08 PM

Hmm, it should still work, did you select the "This topic" option next to the search bar? See the link I posted above.

Yes, I did. For example, I typed "PNSO" in the search bar on my collection thread - the result is 0 (which is of course ridiculous).

DinoToyForum

Odd. It works for me. See, here's some screenshots:

1. On your thread page, type "PNSO" in search bar, select "This topic", click "search".

2. The results page, showing many "PNSO" occurrences in your thread

EmperorDinobot

I had time to mess with this today, and it is very friendly towards my new laptop, which I cannot stop gushing about. I can also finally see my "sent" messages, which was kind of not allowed last time. The messaging system is still a bit tricky, but quoting a certain statesman I believe that "nothing will fundamentally change".

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 09:22:26 PMOdd. It works for me. See, here's some screenshots:

1. On your thread page, type "PNSO" in search bar, select "This topic", click "search".

2. The results page, showing many "PNSO" occurrences in your thread

Thank you for your time, but ... no chance, it's not working for me :( .
I haven't changed anything on my computer. That's pretty bad.

DinoToyForum

Is anyone in addition to avatar_Sim @Sim and avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian encountering problems with the search feature? Is it working for anyone other than me? It's difficult for me to troubleshoot a problem I can't replicate. :-\

suspsy

What happened to the Favourites/Saved Threads option? Is that no longer accessible?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

paintingdinos

I don't know if this helps, but I went to postsaurischian's thread and did the same thing: searched "pnso", which returned no hits. But then I tried a different search term, "Martin Garratt", and got plenty of hits.

I tried a few others. "Kaiyodo" got lots of hits, but "Iguanodon" didn't (despite there being a recent post with the word).

Edit to add: So, in that first example with Martin Garratt, it displayed 5 pages of hits. But when I navigate to a different results page (2, 3, 4, 5), it gives me the same "Sorry, no matches were found" as when I searched PNSO. Even though I know there are other posts in postsaurischian's thread that contain the name beyond just the ones shown.

I'm on Chrome Version 101.0.4951.54 if that helps.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: paintingdinos on May 16, 2022, 01:51:25 AMI don't know if this helps, but I went to postsaurischian's thread and did the same thing: searched "pnso", which returned no hits. But then I tried a different search term, "Martin Garratt", and got plenty of hits.

I tried a few others. "Kaiyodo" got lots of hits, but "Iguanodon" didn't (despite there being a recent post with the word).

Edit to add: So, in that first example with Martin Garratt, it displayed 5 pages of hits. But when I navigate to a different results page (2, 3, 4, 5), it gives me the same "Sorry, no matches were found" as when I searched PNSO. Even though I know there are other posts in postsaurischian's thread that contain the name beyond just the ones shown.

I'm on Chrome Version 101.0.4951.54 if that helps.

Thanks, that's very helpful. But I can't explain why the search results are so hit and miss. Let me know, avatar_Sim @Sim and avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian, do any searches return results for you? 

Edit: How about the Animal Toy Forum, does the search work for you there?

In the meantime, I've just generated a new 'Search Index' for the forum to see if that improves the situation. Please let me know. The search function is incredibly important so I want to ensure it is working properly.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 15, 2022, 04:01:58 PMI would still like to see it a point or two bigger - but others may disagree.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 03:52:13 PMI've made the main body font a bit larger, how's that?

I tweaked this a bit further, any better?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on May 16, 2022, 01:50:20 AMWhat happened to the Favourites/Saved Threads option? Is that no longer accessible?

That was a 'bookmarks' modification that is incompatible with the new forum software (It hasn't been updated since 2012: https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=864).

There is an inbuilt "watch topics" system, does that do the same job? It's in your profile:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=notification;sa=topics

If not, we could try out this new bookmarks mod, which is compatible?: https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=4312

ceratopsian

Yes - I'm happy!  Many thanks.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 16, 2022, 11:10:37 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 15, 2022, 04:01:58 PMI would still like to see it a point or two bigger - but others may disagree.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 03:52:13 PMI've made the main body font a bit larger, how's that?

I tweaked this a bit further, any better?

ceratopsian

I've spent a few minutes searching in postsaurischian's thread too.  Definitely not working properly and this is a big drawback.  I used to use "search within a thread" quite often, e.g. Halichoeres' collection thread.  I tried Iguanodon.  Nothing came up, even though it is in a recent post.  Tried Tsintaosaurus, again in a recent post. It ignored the recent post but gave me a hit from some years ago.  Tried Sen Sen - again, knew it was in a recent post.  Nothing.  No hits for SenSen either.  Tried Mastodonsaurus, again in a recent post.  No hits.  Tried searching for Mastodonsaurus from the top of the thread, just in case it wasn't searching for something already on the screen.  No hits.

I tried a search sample for my own thread too of things I knew were in the thread.  Lambeosaurus, Nasutoceratops, SenSen.  All produced no hits.

BrontoScorpio

I don't understand how to search in a particular thread ? ....
where is the 'this topic' option ?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 16, 2022, 12:15:17 PMI don't understand how to search in a perticular thread ? ....

At the top right of the forum is a search bar. On the right of that there is a drop down list of options. One of these options, but only when you are on a thread page, is "This topic".

BrontoScorpio

Found it - doesn't work.

I searched 'Kaiyodo'  or 'Sega' in my thread - it didn't find.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: