News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2022

Started by Takama, August 03, 2021, 08:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

The Diablo looks more aesthetically pleasing compared to the Styraco. Although given that mine already showed the early signs of stickyness after only one year, I'm staying away from Schleich.

Quote from: suspsy on February 10, 2022, 12:39:14 AM
Here's a new summer set:

https://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Dinosaurs-13-Piece-Playset-Transport/dp/B09QH83CWN/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=Q23NSGW3L378&keywords=schleich&qid=1644453391&sprefix=schleich%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-18

There seems to be a pattern. First half of the year is new animals, second half is new Colby stuff.

Also not sure if the Trike is Cera or Chomp...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 10, 2022, 01:00:24 AM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 04, 2022, 03:31:19 PM
The Nothosaurus...is rough, I said I was thinking of picking it up in person but I'll hold of on a sale, for 15€ it's not really THAT large and I still really don't like the pose, still very conflicted about this one.
I actually think it looks less bad in those photos than it did in the promo pic; but I concede it still doesn't look entirely good. It's a shame; I appreciate Schleich taking chances with genera like this, but the results aren't very convincing.

It indeed looks like some python species with duck feet tucked on the sides. Exaggerated scales, banana teeth and broken joints.... you would wonder who sculpts those things for such a big and global company.

CityRaptor

First magazine version of the year! Carnotaurus

https://www.blue-ocean.de/dinosaurs/produkt/detail/neu-volle-dino-action
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Fembrogon

If I didn't know any better I'd think that was a knockoff. They can't choose a more dynamic paint job than that?

*EDIT* I failed to realize it's a minifigure, which should be judged a little differently.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 21, 2022, 06:57:40 PM
If I didn't know any better I'd think that was a knockoff. They can't choose a more dynamic paint job than that?

In fact I've seen knockoffs of the same figure with paint scarily close to the real thing.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

PumperKrickel

It's a minifigure that comes with the magazine. What kind of intricate paintjobs are you expecting on an (at most) five euro figure?

SidB

Fembrogon

My mistake; I hadn't realized it was a minifigure. In that context the paint job is much more forgivable (although now I'm longing for the caliber of the older Toobs, etc again).

MLMjp

I recently saw the Majungasaurus review on the blog. Inaccuracies and "borrowed" color scheme aside, the sculpt on it is pretty good. Way better than the usual schleich theropods.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: MLMjp on February 27, 2022, 01:12:34 AM
I recently saw the Majungasaurus review on the blog. Inaccuracies and "borrowed" color scheme aside, the sculpt on it is pretty good. Way better than the usual schleich theropods.
Yeah the Majungasaurus looks halfway decent, might be inclined to actually get it.

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah apart from some off proportions the Majungasaurus feels really nice (the "inspired" color scheme helps it a lot in standing out from the other Schleich theropods too)
The teeth tend to be painted kinda weird on a few ones I saw but certainly one of their better theropods.

Libraraptor

I spent about an hour at the Schleich shelf at a big toy store yesterday, inspecting each 2022 release in detail again. In my opinion except for the Styracosaurus no figure is even roughly decent. I am especially disappointed of the Nothosaurus, the head of which they managed to destroy completely. It is a tragedy. I keep asking myself who in which position of that company nods crap like that through and for which reason? Sorry for the harsh words, but will Schleich ever wake up again?

suspsy

Schleich is the McDonald's of prehistoric toys. Their strength lies not in the actual quality of their products, but in aggressive marketing.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

free image upload

I think I have found the template of Schleich's ultimate failure, the Nothosaurus. It is a model in the Stuttgart Museum of Natural History. The pictures point out the major issues. Probably not one Schleich sculptor has been there personally. Still shaking my head at all this blatant ignorance and stupidness.
Sandbox toys instead of a standard of at least a minimum of scientific correctness.

Georassic

Quote from: suspsy on March 02, 2022, 01:13:06 PM
Schleich is the McDonald's of prehistoric toys."
I spewed my coffee at this truth.  :)) :)) :))

Duna

I think you got it right with that model, avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor  :-[ They got almost everything wrong. In fact, it's not swimming like a human as Schleich has done, it only had a flip a bit forward, like changing direction. The head of the sculpt was beautiful, and you can do children-safe teeth without using banana teeth. The only thing they got not too bad was the colour scheme.

DragonRider02

Schleich notho looks like a Looney Toons character that got ran by something or ran into wall/fell from a great heigh and got comically flattened at the impact.

JohannesB

I guess someone between 2 and 8 years old (nor most of their parents) can't really see the flaws :P

ItsTwentyBelow

Well, this Nothosaurus isn't really the best, to be sure, but I just grabbed it and the Kaprosuchus today for a buy-one-get-one-free sale at Fred Meyer. Nothosaurus came out FREE. Still have my copy of the 1984 'Dinosaur Library' Nothosaurus book on the shelf by my desk.

I can stomach it for that price! Overall the figure is easily recognizable for what it is supposed to be, and who else is making a Nothosaurus in this scale anyway? Plus the Kaprosuchus is actually a pretty good figure to boot.

edit: On a side note of mild interest, after inspecting the belly stamp on both figures, not only did I find that it is misspelled as 'Scheich' on my Kaprosuchus, but the Nothosaurus is made in Tunisia, not China, which even makes me feel a little better about the Nothosaurus

SidB

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: