News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum upgrade feedback

Started by DinoToyForum, May 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 17, 2022, 02:41:40 PMWhen I write a new post - I used to drag down wards the bottom line of the text window - in order to enlarge the active window in which I write -
This option is no longer available.
Now, I only have a narrow 2 inch window where I can write - and if I add pictures - it is quite difficult.

You can still do that, now there is a little triangle in the bottom right of the box that you can drag.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Flaffy on May 17, 2022, 04:10:41 PMAnd is there a way to prevent titles from cutting off like this?

Please can you link me to the page where that occurs?

Flaffy

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2022, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 17, 2022, 04:10:41 PMAnd is there a way to prevent titles from cutting off like this?

Please can you link me to the page where that occurs?

It happens in the "recents" page. In the old design, the full title would be retained both in the recents page and within the topic thread, but now the full title only appears in the latter.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=recent

DinoToyForum

Ah, I see what you mean. To fix that I'll have to make some manual edits to the software code. I had a fiddle about just now with no luck, but I'll give it another try some time.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2022, 04:25:40 PM
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 17, 2022, 02:41:40 PMWhen I write a new post - I used to drag down wards the bottom line of the text window - in order to enlarge the active window in which I write -
Now, I only have a narrow 2 inch window where I can write - and if I add pictures - it is quite difficult.

You can still do that, now there is a little triangle in the bottom right of the box that you can drag.
Thanks - I found it - but, I can only drag it down an inch or so - not to the entire height of the page

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 17, 2022, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2022, 04:25:40 PM

Thanks - I found it - but, I can only drag it down an inch or so - not to the entire height of the page

Indeed. Luckily, I was able to find and install a mod for this and so now you can drag it down as far as you like – no limit. I can set a limit if you prefer.

need4swede

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2022, 09:58:14 AMChanges like that are really easy (on the new forum software there are colour pickers!). I'll pick a different colour now, let me know what you think.
Luckily, I was able to find and install a mod for this and so now you can drag it down as far as you like – no limit. I can set a limit if you prefer.

I'm a software engineer - if you ever need an extra hand developing tools for the site, I'd be happy to help.
I'm not entirely familiar with all the changes SMF 2.1 brings, but I can look over the documentation.

I think the colors still need tweaking. I'll see if I can slap some previews together and share them here, and we can decide which scheme we like.

Huge thanks to avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum for making this all happen - and for staying on top of all the requests. Lord knows it ain't always easy! We all really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Adjusted the colors a bit. Let me know what you guys think!

Preview
Spoiler
[close]

CSS
Spoiler
.windowbg:nth-of-type(odd), .bg.odd, .unread_notify:hover, .title_bar, tr.windowbg:hover, .windowbg:nth-of-type(even) blockquote, .windowbg:nth-of-type(odd) .bbc_alternate_quote, .bbc_code {
    background: #f6fcff;
}

.windowbg:nth-of-type(even), .bg.even, .information, .roundframe, .generic_list_wrapper, .approvebg, .windowbg:nth-of-type(odd) blockquote, .windowbg:nth-of-type(even) .bbc_alternate_quote {
    background: #fffcfc;
}
[close]

I'll play around with some different colors and will add more styles.
Figured I'd have fun with this one

[Dark Mode] Preview
Spoiler
[close]

I'll add some more later
- Swede

DinoToyForum

avatar_need4swede @need4swede Thanks, I appreciate that.

I can and do manually edit the SMF .css and .php files sometimes but I always try to avoid it if possible, just in case I break the site completely! And it usually involves a lot of trial and error, trawling through the files to find the correct line to tweak. So, I'm always relieved when there's a mod available to do the job for me.

Re: colour schemes, I've never been keen on dark modes.

Flaffy

avatar_need4swede @need4swede thanks for the edit; after sitting with the new blue+yellow colours a bit, I think I prefer the blue+white background of the old forum too. Maybe the solution to this is to instead darken the shade of blue slightly so that it contrasts better with the alternating white backgrounds, rather than introduce a new colour.

ceratopsian

I'm not keen on dark modes either.

As for the current colours - the "yellow" is showing a a slightly weird peachy washed out pink for me.  I'm not keen - but of course it's something that's small in the scheme of things, e.g. compared to the search problem.

DinoToyForum

What if I simply make the alternate colour pure white? I've implemented this to see what it looks like, let me know what you think.

ceratopsian

I find the white/blue easier on the eyes than the pinky peach/blue. But others may of course feel differently.

need4swede

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 18, 2022, 11:53:36 AMI can and do manually edit the SMF .css and .php files sometimes but I always try to avoid it if possible, just in case I break the site completely! And it usually involves a lot of trial and error...

And here I was thinking I was the only software developer here  ;D
That's practically 70% of my day!

The colors look great, I think. Thanks for the update!
- Swede

Flaffy

I agree that the pure white + blue is easier on the eyes compared to yellow + blue and the previous light blue + blue.

Faras

Yup blue and pure white looks most pleasing to me.

DinoToyForum

Blue and white it is then! Often the simplest option is the best.  :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on May 16, 2022, 05:26:50 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Yes, I should have clarified that earlier, sorry. Has only started happening to me afterwards. Again it only happens sometimes and I'm not entirely sure why.

Is this still happening? If so, is anyone else experiencing this?

Faelrin

I had it happen to me again yesterday, when I wrote a response in the PNSO thread (on mobile), but I did not run into it once today, or when editing my Mattel thread yesterday and today (on laptop). If it happens again, I'll let you know.

I did notice that when trying to go back and edit something, and write spaces, while writing my response yesterday, it would jump to the end of the paragraph. Only way to deal with it then was copy, delete, fix, and paste, to get around it. Again though I haven't had the problem since then though, which is good.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on May 20, 2022, 04:23:49 AMI had it happen to me again yesterday, when I wrote a response in the PNSO thread (on mobile), but I did not run into it once today, or when editing my Mattel thread yesterday and today (on laptop). If it happens again, I'll let you know.

I did notice that when trying to go back and edit something, and write spaces, while writing my response yesterday, it would jump to the end of the paragraph. Only way to deal with it then was copy, delete, fix, and paste, to get around it. Again though I haven't had the problem since then though, which is good.

I fixed some errors in the database, perhaps that helped.

Halichoeres

This is an extremely small deal, but within boards you used to be able to sort by # of views or # of replies, and that option seems to have disappeared. I might be the only one who misses it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: