News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace New For 2022

Started by Over9K, February 04, 2022, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko2300

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 01, 2022, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Darko2300 on June 01, 2022, 02:37:05 PMDid anyone here get Cooper's Mammoth and what do you think of it? I'm kind of surprised I can't find any reviews for the actual production piece out there.

I did. It's pretty nice, paint and all look good for a production piece. Maybe it could used a bit more of the snow effect on the actual mammoth but it's no big deal.

So looking at the promo pics, does the final version have less snow than advertised, or are you saying you just think it'd look better with additional snow? 🤔 (I really hope that made sense. 😅 Thanks, man!)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Darko2300 on June 01, 2022, 11:55:58 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 01, 2022, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Darko2300 on June 01, 2022, 02:37:05 PMDid anyone here get Cooper's Mammoth and what do you think of it? I'm kind of surprised I can't find any reviews for the actual production piece out there.

I did. It's pretty nice, paint and all look good for a production piece. Maybe it could used a bit more of the snow effect on the actual mammoth but it's no big deal.

So looking at the promo pics, does the final version have less snow than advertised, or are you saying you just think it'd look better with additional snow? 🤔 (I really hope that made sense. 😅 Thanks, man!)

It probably varies from piece to piece? It's just a powder/glitter that is sprinkled over glue.  Mine had some on it, I just think more would be better.

Over9K

X-Plus table at recent con/expo... looks like they're about to drop a line of licensed 1/35th scale Jurassic Park/World products...

Were I a betting man, I would put my money on resin model kits... but they could be doing vinyl, or even PVC...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on June 02, 2022, 05:34:52 AMX-Plus table at recent con/expo... looks like they're about to drop a line of licensed 1/35th scale Jurassic Park/World products...

Were I a betting man, I would put my money on resin model kits... but they could be doing vinyl, or even PVC...

Pics were shown somewhere..they are unpainted model kits. Nice ones though.

Over9K

Super Festival Extra Vol.3 was today in Japan, and X-Plus/Star Ace debuted some new dinosaurs coming for the Wonder Of Wild series of statues, Tyrannosaurus rex and Spinosaurus aegypticus!

As with the previous Wonder Of Wild series products, the T.rex is based on the Paleocraft/Sean Cooper resin kit from years ago.

The Spinosaurus appears to be a new sculpt from Sean Cooper, much more in line with the current science on the species than his previous sculpt, which was available as a resin model from MO Models.

Here is Cooper's previous Spinosaurus.

For the Harryhausen collectors, they also debuted the Gigantic Minoton soft vinyl figure, and showed off the upcoming big Bubo!

Darko2300

Holy crap, avatar_Over9K @Over9K - thank you! I almost sprung for the Coelacanth, but I'm glad I held out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think they should have had Cooper sculpt a new tyrannosaur model, the old one just doesn't hold up well against newer pieces.

Still wish just one of those Vampirella kits was being released as a fully finished statue.

Flaffy

Spinosaurus missing weight bearing 4th digit...

Darko2300

Yeah, I've already cooled on both of these. 😂 The sculpts really are outdated, and not in the way that I find charming. Yet. Give me another 15 years. (If I'm still here.)

paintingdinos

So I'm not familiar with the Wonders of the Wild series, are these all sold as completed models or do they also sell kits?

Over9K

Quote from: paintingdinos on June 26, 2022, 10:50:10 PMSo I'm not familiar with the Wonders of the Wild series, are these all sold as completed models or do they also sell kits?

Wonder Of Wild is a series of completed statues.

X-Plus/StarAcve does release kits of both previously released completed figures, and new sculpts. I'm not sure they'd make these as kits, because most of them have already been released as kits.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Over9K on June 26, 2022, 10:57:58 PMWonder Of Wild is a series of completed statues.

X-Plus/StarAcve does release kits of both previously released completed figures, and new sculpts. I'm not sure they'd make these as kits, because most of them have already been released as kits.

Shame, I like Cooper's new Spinosaurus sculpt but I don't know if I'll shell out for a completed statue. Maybe, we'll see.

dragon53

I've had my Gwangi for few weeks and decided to comment on it. Like the Star Ace Rhedosaurus, the Star ace Gwangi has exaggerated scales, but it is not as bad as the Rhedosaurus.
Harryhausen's real Gwangi is shown on exhibit in the link below so the differing scales can be compared.
I'm curious as to why Star Ace's models appear to be intentionally inaccurate (i.e. the previously-discussed Kraken's Andromeda figure with brown instead of blonde hair and the wrong scale, the Ymir's human figure is the wrong scale and the lamp is in the wrong paw, etc.).

LINK: http://mltharmewom.blogspot.com/2019/01/dinosaurs-harryhausen-me-valence-house.html

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on July 14, 2022, 01:07:06 AMI've had my Gwangi for few weeks and decided to comment on it. Like the Star Ace Rhedosaurus, the Star ace Gwangi has exaggerated scales, but it is not as bad as the Rhedosaurus.
Harryhausen's real Gwangi is shown on exhibit in the link below so the differing scales can be compared.
I'm curious as to why Star Ace's models appear to be intentionally inaccurate (i.e. the previously-discussed Kraken's Andromeda figure with brown instead of blonde hair and the wrong scale, the Ymir's human figure is the wrong scale and the lamp is in the wrong paw, etc.).

LINK: http://mltharmewom.blogspot.com/2019/01/dinosaurs-harryhausen-me-valence-house.html

It is puzzling.  They have the license..so maybe it doesn't cover human actors? but the creatures should be fine. I've heard some collectors say XPLUS doesn't care for scale and accuracy, but they seem to do fine with Godzilla?  Recently I learned Joe Laudati sculpted the new Medusa figure for them. Joe is a fantastic sculptor probably 2nd only to Harryhausen in recreating these pieces.  He said they approved of his sculpt and ideas for the brazier in the exclusive version but then broadened the hips I guess to appear more feminine? Harryhausen's sculpt didn't have them. Then they made an out of scale stone corpse to go with it? Not worth the additional 90.00 to me.

dragon53

I like Star Ace's Ymir and Kraken sculpts---but not the accessories (human figures, lamp, etc.).

My big disappointments are the "cobblestone" scales on the Star Ace Rhedosaurus and Gwangi. It's not like they don't have Harryhausen's original models or photos of the original models as references.

cooksonia

Quote from: dragon53 on July 14, 2022, 07:14:25 AMI like Star Ace's Ymir and Kraken sculpts---but not the accessories (human figures, lamp, etc.).

My big disappointments are the "cobblestone" scales on the Star Ace Rhedosaurus and Gwangi. It's not like they don't have Harryhausen's original models or photos of the original models as references.

I can't comment on the working relationship is between Star Ace and The Ray & Diana Harryhausen Foundation. When Ray was still alive he released moulds of the original Talos and a more recently created Talos sculpture and base that he had completed for bronze casting and cold casting by a foundry

dragon53

COOKSONIA:

John Walsh is a trustee of the Harryhausen Foundation and appears to be involved with Star Ace based on his Youtube reviews.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhE4r0Slofo

cooksonia

I would like to see them produce the Hydra, terror bird and cephalopod

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: cooksonia on July 15, 2022, 07:44:40 PMI would like to see them produce the Hydra, terror bird and cephalopod

Definitely want the Hydra, maybe the Terror Bird. I certainly think there are more dinosaurs and other prehistorics to make as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: