News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 22, 2022, 04:53:48 AM
Quote from: RolandEden on June 22, 2022, 03:31:08 AMLike you said above, probably the last peek of golden age will be next year due the 30th anniversary of JP. But you know...I have been collecting mattel since 2018 and I really enjoyed more than when I was a kid with Kenner and Hasbro, but I dont have the same hype as previous years. Recently I bought Hammond Collection figures via Amazon USA due I doubt if these will arrive to Spain (well t-rex is listed in amazon spain but I will wait). Probably Mattel will survive till 2025 at least.

Maybe a case of too much of a good thing and my/our growth as collectors? I only buy what I like anymore, I don't feel a need to have every single figure in a line like I did with Invicta,Carnegie,Kenner, ect..
Maybe you are right. Since I bought Hammond Collection Baryonyx and Parasaurolophus, I prefferd to have more of this than many that wont have good quality. This year I bough therizino and batttle damage allosaurus, great figures btw! But I think I want quality figures like my godzilla collection is only neca or sh.
I also hope to see this year new safari figures and papo mosa (if this year papo will release it)

Prehistory Resurrection

2022 Mattel JWD Extreme Damage Quilmesaurus review from Andy's Dinosaur Reviews. As said earlier, nice to see such that such an obscure dinosaur species is here and yet, another Abelisaur from Mattel.

Sovereign59

Recently the Hammond Collection got me back into collecting dinosaur figures, this year has been the first time I've been excited about dinosaur toys since I was a kid way back in 2001 when Jurassic Park 3 came out and it feels amazing to be getting excited about them again after so long! I didn't like how any of the Hasbro figures for Jurassic World looked, and most of what Mattel made for their legacy collection and other lines just didn't interest me, but I am absolutely loving the Hammond Collection.
I received the Tyrannosaurus Rex from Target.com this morning and I am so impressed with it. I hope it's okay to share a few pictures of it here with you, I'm just so excited and wanting to take pictures of it and show them to anyone who might enjoy seeing them. I'm new here and if this is against any sort of rule please let me know and I won't do so again.

I can't seem to add pictures from my phone so I'm going to add a link to some pictures I've posted on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfMr77gJUUT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I know I'm just a stranger on the internet, but if you're really on the fence about this Hammond Rex, if you have the chance to get it in store at retail price, I highly recommend it. I'm someone that's very picky about figures, but I'm staring at mine right now and I'm very impressed and thrilled with it. I hope we do eventually get a Lost World Buck version as well, but I wouldn't let this version pass by in the meantime. I sincerely believe that this is the best dinosaur Mattel has ever made, probably the best mass produced dinosaur since the 1997 Thrasher T Rex.
I've had this for a couple of hours and it's already my favorite Jurassic park figure I've ever owned. The articulation is so fun to work with.

Faelrin

S @Sovereign59 Welcome to the forum here. And thanks for sharing your images, they are most certainly welcomed and appreciated here. In fact if you want to add them directly you'll need to add them to another website like flickr or imgur first. Copy the direct links, and there should be a little picture button next to the Youtube one that you can click to add the link in to add your images. The instagram link is appreciated though in the meantime, and I myself use it frequently.

Also yes I'm loving the Hammond Collection line myself too. Already got the Baryonyx and Parasaurolophus, and awaiting my chance to get the new T. rex, etc. Been waiting years for something like this after the Indoraptor came out in 2018 with this sort of articulation. This is like the closest equivalent to the Beasts of the Mesozoic line, but instead for the Jurassic franchise I feel. Keeping it in scale with the mainline opens up more potential too, unlike the poorly handled Amber Collection done before it (but a few were excellent and work in the mainline too such as the Dilophosaurus, and Pteranodon). It's also largely in scale with most of the Beasts of the Mesozoic (1/18 scale) assortment too that I mentioned prior (which is highly articulated and scientifically accurate dinosaur action figures). You might like those as well, but do keep in mind they are much more costly in having much more elaborate paint schemes/paint apps, etc. Anyways I really hope the HC does well and we get more of it down the road.

I'm very much looking forward to this figure. Hands down the best T. rex they've made yet, and most screen accurate as far as the JP one goes (I mean seriously it looks almost just like the SWS maquette, which is incredible). I also would love to have one of these in the buck coloration as well, since the 2019 one didn't quite do it justice. Pretty much negates all the previous ones I bought, and might be the last (aside from possible future buck) T. rex from Mattel I get as a result.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Hammond Collection Rexy is here and boy oh boy is she fun. My productivity sure went out the window after she showed up!

Spoiler

You know what they say, 13th time is a charm!

Near 30 years between these two. Hard to believe!

[close]

Overall, I have my fair share of issues with each of the Hammond Collection releases so far (except for the Baryonxy, which is weirdly perfect?), but it's already more diverse than the Amber Collection could have been. Onward and Upward!

Darko2300

The legs still look so weird to me. We'll see what I think after I've cracked mine open. Thanks for the pics!

Carnoking

I think the legs aren't bad, the problem is those massive feet! Really gives the ankles and calves a stick-like appearance like what happened on the raptor. Other than that, I'm loving this thing!

SpartanSquat

Like Stan Pines said: This...this is Beautifull!

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Congrats on getting your hands on it. Thanks for the comparison pics with the other Hammond Collection figures and some of the previous T. rex figures, and also the classic Kenner red one. This really blows the rest out of the water with the paint apps (mostly, I do think the paint on the lower jaw could be better blended, but otherwise this is nearly 1:1 to the SWS maquette as I've said many times now). Could be a bit of a wait before I get my hands on one, but I'm totally looking forward to it. I don't think I've been this excited for a Mattel figure since like the reveal of the Brachiosaurus perhaps.

Blade-of-the-Moon

mine came today, box was damaged but no biggie.

Already see some issues...
Glass eye only works to a degree.  From mid neck down body is glossy from there to the head it's flat.  Not sure that jaw tissue will hold up. Needs to be displayed open mouth all the way or closed. Thighs look too thin.

I'll "Grant" pun intended... it looks better than all the previous toy versions.

Fembrogon

Thanks for the photos, S @Sovereign59 and avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking! The HC rex looks... really good. I'm almost taken aback at how nice it appears.
I do agree that that the legs seem a bit odd, and the extra-enlarged feet are certainly lamentable; but hey, the tail is actually a decent length!

This makes me excited and hopeful for what a Spino could end up looking like down the line...

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 25, 2022, 06:14:43 AMmine came today, box was damaged but no biggie.

Glass eye only works to a degree.  From mid neck down body is glossy from there to the head it's flat.  Not sure that jaw tissue will hold up. Needs to be displayed open mouth all the way or closed. Thighs look too thin.

I'll "Grant" pun intended... it looks better than all the previous toy versions.

Yeah, the glass eye is a bit of a bust. I appreciate the idea but most of the time, it looks like it just has cataracts.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on June 25, 2022, 11:28:40 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 25, 2022, 06:14:43 AMmine came today, box was damaged but no biggie.

Yeah, the glass eye is a bit of a bust. I appreciate the idea but most of the time, it looks like it just has cataracts.

Exactly. It sort of works? but the Imaginext line pulls it off better.  I'm already seeing super fans saying it's the most epic thing ever made. If only David Silva could get the license.. lol they'd have a heart attack.

Faelrin

Yeah the typical proportional issues are a little let down as far as the legs and feet go. David has shown those methods are not needed with his 1/18 T. rex action figure. A shame about the glass eye too. I liked the idea (especially as it means no bad eye paint to worry about), but shame the execution was not handled better. I agree the Imaginext ones have done it really well, or like the Tyco Dino-Riders toys of older days.

terrorchicken

the huge knee joint in the legs make them look too long... along with the feet being huge... makes the Rex's body look too small. Overall really weird proportions. Nice paint job though.

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on June 25, 2022, 08:39:00 PMthe huge knee joint in the legs make them look too long... along with the feet being huge... makes the Rex's body look too small. Overall really weird proportions. Nice paint job though.

That's exactly it. And for that reason this might be the first HC dinosaur I skip on. It's a shame because I really want to like it, and own it, but it's a $50 toy and if I don't love it than I probably don't need it.  I have to think that with some fiddling around with the articulation you can make it look less obvious. Like rotating the knee to line up with the torso. I dunno, I still might get it. Really on the fence with this one.

I think this picture illustrates the problem best.

Darko2300

Quote from: terrorchicken on June 25, 2022, 08:39:00 PMthe huge knee joint in the legs make them look too long... along with the feet being huge... makes the Rex's body look too small. Overall really weird proportions. Nice paint job though.
Yeah, you really summed it up perfectly. Mine's already here after being delivered yesterday, so I might as well open it though... 🙄

Sovereign59

I've still been playing around with the articulation and I think she looks better posed in more low to the ground stance, makes the legs look much less long and thin, and the only thing that really looks off in a pose like this is the oversized feet.

As for the glass eyes, I actually really like them. It looks like the eye is following you at whatever angle you're looking at the figure from. I definitely prefer these to having them just painted on, and I hope that for future figures of this scale Mattel continues using them or makes small improvements to them rather than abandoning them altogether. My Rex was in the room with the lights out last night and caught some glare from light in another room and it looked great, really gave the figure in the distance some life.

Gwangi

Thanks for that picture S @Sovereign59, that posture improves it a lot, as I suspected it would. I'm coming back around to it again. lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: