News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Everyone voted yes so far, I never seen such a homogeneous poll.

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Jose S.M.

I was planning to get the Stygi if I like it, just to have the complete "Pachycephalosaurus" family, but I think I'm going to pass. It looks to plain compared to the usual Safari sculpts and even with the Zuul. Now let's wait and see what the last one is!

SpartanSquat

We knew stygi was hinted by safari months ago. Its me or has a stoner sight?

bmathison1972

Is Stygimoloch still regarded as a dubius taxon, and a possibly immature Pachycephalosaurus?

I am generally forgiving on stylistic paint jobs, but I don't really like the pink-on-pink affect here. The head sculpt looks really nice, but I have to chuckle and somewhat agree on RolandEden's comment about the 'stoner' look :-P

suspsy

I can honestly say that I have absolutely zero interest in this toy. As I'm sure most people here are already aware, Stygimoloch is widely considered to be a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus and I already have three of the latter in my collection (CollectA, PNSO, and Safari). It sure would be nice if we could get a Stegoceras or a Prenocephale someday.

That being said, this looks like a perfectly good toy, so my compliments go out to the sculptor. Hopefully it'll make other collectors happy!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

The rock was carefully chosen to tone with the pink of the toy!  I think this will have plenty of appeal for its target market - younger children. And while I never went through a pink phase myself, I know that many little girls do - it might tempt them/their parents to pick something different to add to their pink unicorns and start them on a love of dinosaurs, which would be a desirable result.  It doesn't fit my collection though - which is fine.  There are plenty of other things to tempt me.  I hope sales are good for Safari.

suspsy

So is that the lot for 2022 or is there another reveal to come?

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on July 26, 2022, 06:23:26 PMSo is that the lot for 2022 or is there another reveal to come?

I think one more, and it should be a dino/prehistoric

Shane

Gwangi

Well, it looks like the Dino Dana Stygimoloch, as well it should since it is merchandise for that property. It's not for me though.

suspsy

Faelrin

Was expecting this, and I like the sculpt for the most part. Think the neck is a bit too thin though, but otherwise pretty nice. Agreed about the stoner look too lol.

Agree that Stygimoloch is probably a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus, even if it is a different species in the genus. I do think it would look nice alongside the Dracorex from 2012, and the recent Pachycephalosaurus from 2020 I think. Hopefully there's a size comparison of the three. Would also be interesting to see this next to the Schleich Dracorex, considering it has the design of the Dino Dana one. I'll probably pick this one up at some point, but I may prioritize the ones I'm behind on first, aside from the Albertosaurus and Zuul.

Edit: Didn't catch this at first glance, but thanks to avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels pointing this out over on the instagram post, it appears to have spikes in the nostrils. Odd.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pliosaurking

Yeah this one's not for me for a number of reasons. Firstly the fact that stygimoloch is a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus, which is a species I already have enough of in my collection so I don't need another one. And also yeah not a fan of the stoner look ::). And personally I don't like the colour scheme at all.
I do hope others can enjoy this, but it's definitely not for me.
I hope the next reveal appeals to me more

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SpartanSquat

This looks clearly like the nanotyrannus sculptor. I think stygi could be a Pachycephalosaurus specie, like Triceratops Horridus and Prorsus. But its not my cup of tea. I hope the friday reveal will be better.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's certainly not the worst pachycephalosaur figure out there. The feet are a little too theropod-esque. The tail also lacks the signature pachycephalosaur structure, being laterally thin and supported by tendons with a thick, round base. The unusual eyes and nostril situation are weak points as well. I'm sure I'll get this one when I see it, but it doesn't compare to Safari's previous pachycephalosaurus and dracorex.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 27, 2022, 01:08:23 AMIt's certainly not the worst pachycephalosaur figure out there. The feet are a little too theropod-esque. The tail also lacks the signature pachycephalosaur structure, being laterally thin and supported by tendons with a thick, round base. The unusual eyes and nostril situation are weak points as well. I'm sure I'll get this one when I see it, but it doesn't compare to Safari's previous pachycephalosaurus and dracorex.

You need to think of it like you would merchandise for any other property. Like, Jurassic Park toys should be screen accurate but they don't have to be accurate to real life. It's the same here. This Stiggy looks the way it does because it's based on the animal in Dino Dana. I agree that it does not compare to Safari's previous pachycephalosaurs, I just also think that we shouldn't expect it to.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I agree, they're still meant to represent the dinosaurs as they are in the TV show, but I'm sure many of us will consider buying it to represent the real animal in our collections.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 27, 2022, 02:12:59 AMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I agree, they're still meant to represent the dinosaurs as they are in the TV show, but I'm sure many of us will consider buying it to represent the real animal in our collections.

No doubt. And there are a few animals in the show that I wouldn't mind having. But there also some that look awful and will continue to if accurately sculpted.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: