News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Kingdom

Started by Titanosaur, April 17, 2019, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko2300

How did I not know about this game until now? I'm really crushed that there's no way I could play this on my computer which is now - six? Years old? Seven? Sheesh. I don't even know any more. I saw mention of the Steam Deck a ways up, and after looking it up and reading for a bit, although it seems pricey, it's not as bad as getting a new computer, is it? I wonder which Steam Deck version a person would have to get? 64GB? 256GB? (Though that's getting up there.) I don't know how people keep up with technology improvements nowadays. And just when I was thinking of jumping from a PC to a Mac...  ;D

HD-man

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 30, 2022, 04:59:39 PMYeah those two arent in the game yet

Any idea when they will be in the game? Just wondering
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: HD-man on May 10, 2022, 02:03:47 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 30, 2022, 04:59:39 PMYeah those two arent in the game yet

Any idea when they will be in the game? Just wondering
Velociraptor is rumoured to be in July's 1.1 update. They held a stream yesterday where they said that a stream next week would reveal one of the animals slated for v1.1, so it could very well be Velociraptor.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

HD-man

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 10, 2022, 06:20:23 PMVelociraptor is rumoured to be in July's 1.1 update. They held a stream yesterday where they said that a stream next week would reveal one of the animals slated for v1.1, so it could very well be Velociraptor.

Many thanks for answering my questions. My favorite non-bird dinos are eudromaeosaurs in general b/c they're basically "terrestrial hawks" in terms of ecology/behavior ( https://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/dromaeosaurs-are-terrestrial-hawks/ ). Hopefully, PK is more in line w/that generally agreed-upon hypothesis than Saurian is: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6116.0
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: HD-man on May 11, 2022, 10:51:08 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 10, 2022, 06:20:23 PMVelociraptor is rumoured to be in July's 1.1 update. They held a stream yesterday where they said that a stream next week would reveal one of the animals slated for v1.1, so it could very well be Velociraptor.

Many thanks for answering my questions. My favorite non-bird dinos are eudromaeosaurs in general b/c they're basically "terrestrial hawks" in terms of ecology/behavior ( https://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/dromaeosaurs-are-terrestrial-hawks/ ). Hopefully, PK is more in line w/that generally agreed-upon hypothesis than Saurian is: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6116.0
According to the old species profiles Velociraptor has a social group of 1-2 animals and Utahraptor has a group of 1-8

GojiraGuy1954

GojiraGuy1954

Let's give a warm welcome to the park's newest addition;

Spoiler

The famous, yet misunderstood, Dilophosaurus wetherilli!
[close]

Shadowknight1

The head seems kinda...big?  Did they release any other images?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 24, 2022, 07:55:35 PMThe head seems kinda...big?  Did they release any other images?
It's the angle, here it is ingame next to the Tyrannosaurus rex;

GojiraGuy1954

Plus Dilopho had a gigantic head anyways

GojiraGuy1954

Welcome, park managers!

Minor Update 1 is now available! In this patch, we've added a number of new features and quality of life changes to help improve the state of the game. This is only the beginning of our journey through Early Access as there will be many more changes to come.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get this update out earlier due to engine related technical issues. Previously hidden problems with Unity have only just revealed themselves due to a significantly larger playerbase with highly varied machine specifications.

Though we are continuing to fight Unity's rediculously poor loading and memory related management, we've made good headway in optimizing the game and implementing custom workarounds. This will be an ongoing process that's an unfortunate reality of making a game this large in a brittle and archaic engine.

Features
Feeding System

Feeders can now empty after usage, leading to an ever-growing animal feeding demand as your park grows. Use the Animal Overview Menu (found in the Management Dashboard) to place new orders, passively increasing your available supply of feeding types.

Feeders can be manually refilled individually through their respective piece panel or in bulk through the enclosure info menu.

Notifications

Notifications will now appear inside the new Park Status window, alerting players to various problems in their zoo. You can click alerts to go directly to the closest issue!

Alerts can be muted or customized to highlight exactly what you'd like to know.

Habitat Markers

Create invisible paddock boundaries with the Habitat Marker! Unlike regular fences, animals are not held back by Habitat Markers and will require the usage of terrain, rocks or other methods to keep creatures inside the pen.

Habitat Markers are invisible during regular gameplay and will only appear when building or selecting a habitat.

Animal Nursery Sizes

In Minor Update 1, we've added a small and medium Nursery Module. Each Nursery size has its own holding capacity and breeding size limit. Use larger Nurseries to breed and release bigger animals.

Bug Report Tool

In the pause/escape menu, players will now find a dedicated Bug Report Tool. This tool replaces manual GitHub reports by directly sending us a full report containing a game screenshot, a title, description, and full error log.

Content
A big highlight for Minor Update 1 is all the new scenery pieces! Over 50 new items and props have been added to the game, with some highlights including topiary, hedges and recolorable animal silhouettes.

We also switched over to a new weather/sky solution to improve performance. This does however mean that weather and map specific ambient lighting will be unavailable until we can reimplement those features.

Due to pathfinding related issues, the water troughs shown in our last blog post have been moved to a future update.

GojiraGuy1954

"NEW SPECIES!?

We showed off our WIP Sceildosaurus during Mondays livestream!

3 new species will be available in our first Major Update later this summer, along with an animal locomotion update, guest welfare, new items & MORE!"

CarnotaurusKing

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Man I was happy with my Torvosaurus enclosure till I saw yours  :o I guess in fairness, mine was in challenge mode, but even so, mine pales in comparison. Gorgeous exhibit!

avatar_Darko2300 @Darko2300 You can try Nvidia GeForce (which is what I use), though you need some pretty decent internet for it.

Can't wait for the next major update! I'm glad they're finally adding a thyreophoran. The game at launch was absolutely packed with ceratopsians, so I'm glad there's gonna be a slightly more balanced roster going forward.

GojiraGuy1954

Just realised that I never posted the second animal to be included in the 1.1 update here;

The updated version of Coelophysis bauri, an early theropod of the North American chinle formation.

Spoiler
Comparison with the original;

Truly a glowup.
[close]

GojiraGuy1954

Creature Speculation Lists

Post-Early Access

Spoiler
Post-EA Ceratopsians:

Leptoceratops gracilis
Pentaceratops sternbergii / Navajoceratops sullivani / Terminocavus sealeyi
Kosmoceratops richardsoni
Diabloceratops eatoni / Machairoceratops cronusi
Einiosaurus procurvicornis
Regaliceratops peterhewsi

Post-EA Tyrannosaurs:

Albertosaurus sarcophagus / Gorgosaurus libratus
Alioramus remotus / Qianzhousaurus sinensis
Lythronax argestes
[close]

DLC
Spoiler
Ceratopsians DLC:

Udanoceratops tschizhovi
Bagaceratops rozhdestvenskyi
Zuniceratops christopheri
Centrosaurus apertus
Chasmosaurus belli / russeli / Vagaceratops irvinensis
Torosaurus latus
Yinlong downsi

Tyrannosaurs DLC:

Sinotyrannus kazuoensis
Eotyrannus lengi
Dryptosaurus aquilunguis
Nanuqsaurus hoglundi
Daspletosaurus torosus / horneri / degrootorum
Dilong paradoxus
Suskityrannus hazelae

[close]

GojiraGuy1954

The completed render of Scelidosaurus harrisoni, and the full roster of the 1.1 update, revealing the finalised version of the second Dilo skin and a fuzzy Coelophysis-

See this & more at the Prehistoric Kingdom website; https://www.prehistorickingdom.com/news/diary9

GojiraGuy1954

Welcome, park managers!

The second Early Access update is here! This update brings a wealth of changes and performance improvements that target a wide array of systems. If you've had issues running Prehistoric Kingdom, we highly suggest giving the game another try and providing us with your feedback.

In addition to these performance improvements, our most notable addition in EA 1.0.4 would have to be support for the Steam Workshop and box selection. These two features go a long way in streamlining the construction side of Prehistoric Kingdom, and we cannot wait to see what the community comes up with.

This update does not include Animal Signs, though they will be coming in the next one.

Features
Steam Workshop Support

Support for the Steam Workshop is finally here! Players can upload their own saves and modular prefabs or download community submissions to construct the park of their dreams.

To upload a save, head to the Load Game menu and click the Steam-themed button. This will open the workshop submission form, allowing you to update an existing submission or create a new one.

To upload a modular prefab, click the Steam icon found on any player-made prefabs in the building toolbox. This will open a similar workshop submission form, allowing you to update an existing submission or create a new one.

Players can also upload their builds directly from the Prefab Editor when creating their modular prefab.

Box Selection

Box selection is a quick and handy way to select a cluster of items when inside a modular group. While holding the left mouse button, drag across the screen to create a box. Any items inside this box will be highlighted for selection.

Players can also drag boxes across the screen while in Demolition mode to mass delete anything inside a group with exceptional speed.

Content
Enjoy the addition of our new terracotta roof style, a set of vibrant tiles found under the Tropical theme in the customization panel.

We can't wait to see what the community builds with these!

Read more, including the full patchnotes, here!

GojiraGuy1954

The Developer Diary for August 2022 is now here!

QuoteWelcome to August's Development Update!

In this month's post, we'll be sharing some upcoming developments and briefly discussing new features the team have been working on!

Welcome to August's Development Update!

In this month's post, we'll be sharing some upcoming developments and briefly discussing new features the team have been working on!

Where We're At

Currently, the team is working on two updates. The big 1.1 title update, as well as a smaller patch that'll be releasing sooner. This next update includes two main things: animal signs and Steam achievements.

Animal Info Signs (top left) display an image of the animal, their time period, and discovered location. Players can pick from a list of nearby species.

What's in the Pipeline?

As the next update gets closer, some of the team have already begun work on future species and new gameplay mechanics! We've settled on what we think is going to be a very satisfying Research system that you'll hear more about in a later blog post.

Animal Locomotion

At the heart of animal AI is their locomotion; how they move is the foundation for what they can do. The more flexible their animation and movement systems are, the more behaviors we can add onto them. We've been making a lot of changes in the service of dynamic hunting, combat and ensuring that animals can get into position (i.e. drinking spots, eating, social animations) as seamlessly as possible. No stop start, no awkward idle turn.

Though we're still experimenting, we thought we'd show off what we've been doing. Please note that all examples below do not include foot IKs, so there will be some sliding!

To start, animal movement speeds are now more progressive. Organically slowing down, speeding up and shifting into a run makes animals more far more responsive and lively. For animals that switch between quadruped and biped, they'll still need a transition for it.

When walking, animals can move in 8 different directions. This allows us to easily reposition creatures by simply asking them to walk forwards, strafe or backwards. Obviously this can introduce sliding, so we'll try to resolve it with IKs the best we can.

As you see below, we also have dynamic momentum on the head, body and tail depending on how fast an animal is walking forwards or backwards. We've found that adding these little touches helps to make the animal feel more grounded, especially since they're reactive.

These are just some of the changes we're making to core locomotion. There are a few more experimental but VERY cool things we've left out of today's blog post, so keep an eye out. As a team, we're extremely happy with the direction things are heading and once we've locked down our final pipeline, we'll do a full showcase of everything the animals can do.

Once animal locomotion is 100% sorted, we can start working towards hunting and combat.

Guest AI

Work on improving guests has continued well since last month. As part of our efforts to enhance the simulation, we've made good headway into obstacle avoidance so that guests try to avoid each other. It's yet to be integrated onto our actual guests, but our simulations have performed well! Our solution is pretty dang fast and has given great results thus far.

Any blue sphere below is an agent that has successfully avoided collision. A fun side effect is that much like real life, your park may suffer a traffic jam if guests can't disperse.

Our programmer who's been tasked with taking on crowds, Seth, also made heatmaps for us to use. Here's a rudimentary look at a heatmap displaying guest density.

Streams!

We know you've all missed our adorable faces, so we'll be making our streaming comeback after our short hiatus away for the Summer break! For the month of September we'll be hosting weekly livestreams on Twitch & YouTube. Members of the team will be building a prehistoric park together, discussing the game, chatting about future updates and from time-to-time even sharing sneak peeks on what we're working on!

Finally, check out our most recent Let's Build starring the cherished Camarasaurus!

Spoiler

Created by Admiral_Plackbar (Discord).

Warpath (Discord).

Created by Wikz Gaming (YouTube).
[close]

Kapitaenosavrvs

Love the Game, i follow it for years now. I was so happy, when i finally could play it (in the modern state). Performance is rough sometimes, once the Park gets fuller, but it is Early Access, so i know the Drill and it is absolutely okay for me. But i tend to use Tons of Foliage and Stuff, so it kind of tanks my PC a lot after a while. Whining from a high place.

I love, that we have more and more Games that straight away from monsterous prehistoric Animals/Movie Monsters. :) One thing i would love to get changed is the Path System. I always wanted Paths that flat, but the Path System in Planet Zoo/Coaster is way better in the End. But Of Course this is a hard/unfair comparision. Building/Scaping itself is far more powerful in PK. Especially with the new hotfix, that let Foliage/Trees remain straight after changing the Landscape. Wonderful. Foliage is unbelievable in this Game. You can create really impressive Dioramas in there.

Thanks for the hard work of getting all the Updates and News to this Forum. :)

GojiraGuy1954

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: