News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GR Toys / Haolonggood - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 07, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

Carnoking

Yeah, that one is a bit of a let down. I'm not entirely sure what the situation is between GR Toys and Haolonggood or who was responsible for what figures but it seems the drama is working against them whatever it is. Their first outing with the Spinosaurus was a bit middling for me but they really rose to the occasion with the Carchar and Dicraeosaurus. The Quetzalcoatlus was a bit of a soft follow up in my book, and now after this Therizinosaurus and T. rex I think it's safe to say this is a company (or companies) I'm no longer interested in. Maybe they'll surprise me down the road but for now I'm happy with the three I have and no more.

Halichoeres

Well, thankfully there's the Favorite Co Therizinosaurus to look forward to, and apparently also an All Yesterdays version.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Disappointing. I hadn't been over-enthused by the design images but hoped optimistically that the end product might look better.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection , for sending along the review. It confirms my initial apprehensions about this model - a pass, especially in view of the price. I'll stick with my Papo one until a better (affordable, accurate) one becomes available.

Abobo

Flaffy

That reminds me of PNSO's Wilson V2, and not in the good way.

Plenty of far superior Tyrannosaurus figures on the market.

Carnoking

Credit where credit is due, they did a strong job with the paint. That's one gorgeous looking eye!

JohannesB

It looks quite nice from five meters away.

SidB

In one sense, since everybody and his uncle does a T-rex or two, at one time or another, you can't fault them for trying their hand at yet another on their part. For me, my attention, Tyrannosaurus-wise, is on the upcoming Rebor pair and the projected Eofauna one.

SidB

As far as the Thero is concerned, I'm pleased to see it on the menu, but the apparent pricing is not inviting and I'm really put off by the erroneous digit placement on the hind limbs - an error that's so obvious that it's almost incomprehensible, unless you put it in the Papo basket, I suppose.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnoking on July 20, 2022, 08:43:54 PMCredit where credit is due, they did a strong job with the paint. That's one gorgeous looking eye!

It's like those drawings that adolescents do where the eye is super detailed and the rest of the face looks like a frying pan with a crack in it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Carnoking

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 26, 2022, 04:48:34 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on July 20, 2022, 08:43:54 PMCredit where credit is due, they did a strong job with the paint. That's one gorgeous looking eye!

It's like those drawings that adolescents do where the eye is super detailed and the rest of the face looks like a frying pan with a crack in it.

Haha, perhaps a fair comparison. I don't know though, I'm actually quite taken by the in-hand images of the Blue and Orange variant. The white on the face combined with the striping of the latter is a really cool color design. If this figure had been released five or so years ago, I probably would have been all over it. As is, the colors almost salvage an otherwise mediocre design for me, though not enough for me to actually commit to buying it at list price. Perhaps if someone parts with it on the second hand market at a discount, I could be swayed.

Carnoking

Just caught the review, and after seeing it in hand I'd go so far as to say that it's a better painted figure than the gold standard Carchar. Maybe it's not as meticulously painted with as much color but the fact that all that craft went into an actually discernible "design" puts it over the edge for me. Shame it's on such a middling sculpt.

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on August 07, 2022, 08:34:53 PMJust caught the review, and after seeing it in hand I'd go so far as to say that it's a better painted figure than the gold standard Carchar. Maybe it's not as meticulously painted with as much color but the fact that all that craft went into an actually discernible "design" puts it over the edge for me. Shame it's on such a middling sculpt.
This comment nails it for me too, on both points.

dragon53

Therizinosaurus review.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4XjRHNQyM

Lynx

Great figure, too high of a price for it. I'll wait for the All Yesterdays figure to come soon
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Shame about the misculpt on the toes of the Theri, it can't be unnoticed. I was also a bit surprised to note the large size of the Papo model - didn't realize that it was so large.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lynx on August 08, 2022, 03:48:36 PMGreat figure, too high of a price for it. I'll wait for the All Yesterdays figure to come soon

I'm also anticipating the All Yesterdays version, but I bet that will be pretty expensive too. Small-batch figures are hard to make cheap.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: