News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

EoFauna 2022/23 Hopes and Dreams

Started by GojiraGuy1954, January 05, 2022, 04:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2022, 07:03:49 PM
Well, you could always list more than five species per group in the Eofauna questionnaire thread.  Although given how few figures Eofauna makes per year, I think lists that are so long they can't even be read really miss the point.  If you're going to do that, why not just say you'd be interested in Eofauna making pretty much anything?  Especially if you're going to list something whose appearance is fantasy like Deltadromeus.
That specific thread is for genera that will be counted as part of the vote. Threads like these reduce clutter in the questionnaire thread
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

The questionnaire thread is about what species people would like from Eofauna, and so is this thread.  It's not really reducing clutter given how few replies this thread has, some being only about which groups Eofauna will focus on which people would have seen in the questionnaire thread.  Additionally, people already listed more than five species per group in the questionnaire thread.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2022, 07:44:01 PM
The questionnaire thread is about what species people would like from Eofauna, and so is this thread.  It's not really reducing clutter given how few replies this thread has, some being only about which groups Eofauna will focus on which people would have seen in the questionnaire thread.  Additionally, people already listed more than five species per group in the questionnaire thread.
yeah and thats why I made the thread

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Since my thoughts may have shifted a little since I did the survey I will do a pseudo-survey in this thread, assuming all is okay

Theropoda:
Gigantoraptor
Suchomimus
Austroraptor
Nothronychus
Alioramus

Ornithiscia:
Magnapaulia
Chasmosaurus
Muttaburrasaurus
Saichania
Mymoorapelta

Sauropodomorpha:
Apatosaurus
Alamosaurus
Barapasaurus
Zby
Riojasaurus

Proboscoidea:
Stegotetrabelodon
Amebelodon averensis
Zygolophodon
Phiomia serridens
Elephas platycephalus

Other mammals:
Megatherium
Arctodus simus
Toxodon
Chalicotherium
Sivatherium

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

QuotePredictions for 2022
(Diplodocus carnegii
Konobelodon atticus)
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus

Predictions for 2023
Styracosaurus albertiensis
Mammuthus columbi
Brachytrachelopan mesai

Since these are your predictions I'm going to respond to them as that.  I would be surprised if Eofauna released a Spinosaurus as their next theropod.  Companies have Spinosaurus burnout, there are new Spinosaurus figures already, there are more Spinosaurus figures planned by other companies and there's apparently new discoveries of Spinosaurus coming up.  I can't think of a worse choice for a new figure than Spinosaurus.  I am also very tired of Spinosaurus figures and I don't want to see another other than the 2022 CollectA and the Mesozoic Life figure(s).  Oh and in a photo of one of the Eofauna team members there was a tyrannosaurid skeleton on their computer, I'm expecting that to be Eofauna's next theropod.  (Imagine if Eofauna, GR Toys, Safari and REBOR all release a Tyrannosaurus for 2022...  I'm not sure what to think of that.)

Styracosaurus and Brachytrachelopan are possible but neither would interest me, since Eofauna doesn't give their ceratopsians cheeks.  As for the Columbian mammoth, it's interesting from what I've seen of it, but I read it evolved from the steppe mammoth and it appears it's almost indistinguishable from it?  Eofauna has already made a steppe mammoth, would they really make a nearly identical species to it so early on in their line?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2022, 04:59:13 PM
(Diplodocus carnegii
Konobelodon atticus)
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus

Predictions for 2023
Mammuthus columbi
Brachytrachelopan mesai

As for the Columbian mammoth, it's interesting from what I've seen of it, but I read it evolved from the steppe mammoth and it appears it's almost indistinguishable from it?  Eofauna has already made a steppe mammoth, would they really make a nearly identical species to it so early on in their line?
As far as i'm aware, the Columbian Mammoth was hairless, and had much longer tusks than the Steppe Mammoth. I also believe the Steppe Mammoth evolved into the Woolly Mammoth, not the Columbian Mammoth. Not an elephant expert though

GojiraGuy1954

(Diplodocus carnegii
Konobelodon atticus)
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus

Predictions for 2023
Mammuthus columbi
Brachytrachelopan mesai

and there's apparently new discoveries of Spinosaurus coming up.  I can't think of a worse choice for a new figure than Spinosaurus. 
An "Exciting 2022" doesn't necessarily mean a new discovery. I'd like it to be that, but I'm not 100% sure

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 15, 2022, 06:53:19 PM
As far as i'm aware, the Columbian Mammoth was hairless, and had much longer tusks than the Steppe Mammoth. I also believe the Steppe Mammoth evolved into the Woolly Mammoth, not the Columbian Mammoth. Not an elephant expert though

I read the Wikipedia page for the Columbian mammoth to find out more about it and it says the steppe mammoth evolved into both the Columbian mammoth and woolly mammoth, which is interesting!  On Wikipedia it also says Columbian mammoth hair has been found and that it probably had less dense fur than the woolly mammoth due to living in a warmer environment.  So, less hair than a woolly mammoth seems like it would make it look like a steppe mammoth?  I'm not seeing the Columbian mammoth having much longer tusks, they seem to be roughly the same length as the steppe mammoth's?

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 15, 2022, 06:54:36 PM
An "Exciting 2022" doesn't necessarily mean a new discovery. I'd like it to be that, but I'm not 100% sure

You're right!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2022, 07:19:47 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 15, 2022, 06:53:19 PM

I read the Wikipedia page for the Columbian mammoth to find out more about it and it says the steppe mammoth evolved into both the Columbian mammoth and woolly mammoth, which is interesting!  On Wikipedia it also says Columbian mammoth hair has been found and that it probably had less dense fur than the woolly mammoth due to living in a warmer environment.  So, less hair than a woolly mammoth seems like it would make it look like a steppe mammoth?  I'm not seeing the Columbian mammoth having much longer tusks, they seem to be roughly the same length as the steppe mammoth's?

I'll change it to Mammuthus primigenius then. We still only have decent Woolly Mammoth figures like the Safari or Papo ones, nothing actually all that special

GojiraGuy1954

I am also very tired of Spinosaurus figures and I don't want to see another other than the 2022 CollectA and the Mesozoic Life figure(s).

Oh also we're already getting an EoFauna Spino eventually. I messaged the facebook page about it one time a couple years ago and they said they would be making one

Sim

Hopefully it's not too soon then.  There needs to be a pause in Spinosaurus figures.  A good figure of Suchomimus is much more needed.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2022, 05:16:50 PM
I think it's unfortunate that ornithischians keep getting oversplit when their diversity is equal to that of Mesozoic theropods, and sauropodomorphs get called "sauropods" when there are basal members in that group too which shouldn't get excluded.

I was talking about ornithischians and theropods with a grad school friend the other day (he is a paleontologist who studies ecomorphology among other things). Of course some of the subdivision of Ornithischia is historical, but the historical aspect might arise from ornithischians just looking more different from each other than theropods do. If anything, Mesozoic theropods might have even more taxonomic diversity, but ornithischians probably have more morphological variation. I don't mean to say that all theropods look alike; that's obviously not true. But just as a thought experiment, if you had two teams of highly informed, artistically competent dinosaur enthusiasts playing Pictionary, and one team got all theropod clues, and the other got all ornithischian clues, the ornithischian team would easily win. I asked my friend whether, if you constructed a dinosaur morphospace based on limb proportions or skull shape, the ornithischians would occupy a larger volume of it. He said, "almost certainly." I think that once terrestrial carnivores land on a reasonably successful body plan, their morphological evolution is more constrained than that of herbivores; that is, fewer deviations from that body plan will meet with success. Herbivores do not have to sneak up on and pursue their prey, so they can do weird things with defense, food processing, and sexual selection that carnivores are just not free to play with.

As an analogy, if you consider the mammal clades Ferae vs. Ungulata, which are currently very similar to each other in species richness, a Pictionary game like I described above would certainly favor the team getting ungulate clues over the one getting carnivoran clues. Ferae has some very distinctive members, like pangolins and pinnipeds; Theropoda has some very distinctive members, like therizinosaurs and oviraptorosaurs. But that doesn't measure up to the variety in Ungulata (humpback whales, moose), or the variety in Ornithischia (thescelosaurids, ankylosaurids). Ornithischians went at least facultatively quadrupedal at least three times; theropods never did so. So I think it's understandable that ornithischians are somewhat atomized while theropods are lumped, even if it's not a fully accurate reflection of their taxonomic diversity or evolutionary history.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Does anyone have information regarding the number of figures released from Eofauna for the next year? At least two are desirable.

Fembrogon

They released Diplodocus and Konobelodon already; I wouldn't expect any more figures yet.

We do know Eofauna is working on a T. rex, which I'm assuming will be their primary release for 2023. I haven't heard anything else for next year, though.

suspsy

It would be really great if they tackled Megatherium.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I want to see them to tackle an ankylosaurus later. But at least another figure is desirable along with the Tyrannosaurus, such as any hadrosaur.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Jorge Mario on January 05, 2022, 04:47:31 PMheart desire a stegosaurus, amargasaurus, T. rex, mastodon, woolly rhinoceros and parasaurolophus by Eofauna ^-^
Agree on the mastodon and hoping for an Apatosaurus and even if I know about their "4 paths" I just wish that they would do a Megatherium one day...

Stegotyranno420

I'd love a Eofauna stegosaurus. I hope it's a big one tho, but i know they are going to make S. stenops instead of S.ungulatus if they do tackle it.
Safaris is nice, Pnso and Rebor are nicer but expensive, and Pnso is a bit too small for my tastes.
Another sauropod will be nice. If they make a 1:40 apatosaurus that will be lovely.

Sim

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on August 28, 2022, 07:33:53 PMI want to see them to tackle an ankylosaurus later. But at least another figure is desirable along with the Tyrannosaurus, such as any hadrosaur.

Why an Ankylosaurus when PNSO's excellent and affordable version exists?

Jorgesaurus

Does anyone know when they will announce the new for 2023 and I hope that Eofauna can already make a stegosaurus, please, please

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: