You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Leyster on September 05, 2022, 06:36:22 PMavatar_JohannesB @JohannesB having messed up the leg muscolature is a far bigger issue in scientific correctness than the ones the PNSO has. Accuracy issues do not have all the same weight and Rebor managed to make an error you would expect from a pop culture inspired or anyway not-so-scientific model like the Papos.

Maybe because... they specify in pop-culture themed models???? The horror!

Kiss is a new & exciting territory for Rebor. It is their first ever attempt at making something scientfically correct, and nit picking like closely examining the legs of the model to see if the specific muscles are accurate will just put them off from attempting more like this in the future. We all know that they have an account on the forum.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

I would also say that getting the torso shape & structure entirely incorrect for a T. rex is a much larger issue than some problems with how thick the legs are.

Wilson is built like a billboard.

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 06, 2022, 08:12:01 AMI would also say that getting the torso shape & structure entirely incorrect for a T. rex is a much larger issue than some problems with how thick the legs are.

How so? It looks about right for the girth and bulk of AMNH 5027. Not every specimen of Tyrannosaurus is Sue or Scotty sized ya know.

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 06, 2022, 08:11:07 AM
Quote from: Leyster on September 05, 2022, 06:36:22 PMavatar_JohannesB @JohannesB having messed up the leg muscolature is a far bigger issue in scientific correctness than the ones the PNSO has. Accuracy issues do not have all the same weight and Rebor managed to make an error you would expect from a pop culture inspired or anyway not-so-scientific model like the Papos.

Maybe because... they specify in pop-culture themed models???? The horror!

Kiss is a new & exciting territory for Rebor. It is their first ever attempt at making something scientfically correct, and nit picking like closely examining the legs of the model to see if the specific muscles are accurate will just put them off from attempting more like this in the future. We all know that they have an account on the forum.

You've seemed to miss the entire point of this conversation:
Quote from: Leyster on September 05, 2022, 06:36:22 PMAnyway, I think you all are missing the point. The whole thing is not "what is the better Tyrannosaurus between PNSO and Rebor", is "the Rebor model is not as good in the scientific area as is claimed".

Is it a good representation of Tyrannosaurus? Yes. Easily Rebor's best to date. However, is it the ultimate/ definitive / super-accurate reconstruction of one like some are claiming it to be? No. There are noticeable issues that a rigorous scientific reconstruction would not have, the leg musculature being a good example of such.

Also, isn't this the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread? I don't get why we're back to the guilt-tripping again. IMO this thread should be the place where constructive and informative conversations like this can be held without snide remarks and unnecessary guilt-tripping.

SidB

Excellent point, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , this thread is and should always be available as a sort of 'lightning rod' where people can express their opinions without fear of cancellation or condemnation. Disagreement, of course, is quite A-okay.

Leyster

Quote from: Flaffy on September 06, 2022, 09:36:45 AMHow so? It looks about right for the girth and bulk of AMNH 5027. Not every specimen of Tyrannosaurus is Sue or Scotty sized ya know.
Excellent point, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . Have you guys ever seen Wankel (MOR 555)? That thing is paper-thin compared to other specimens. Also thank you for this statement:
QuoteIs it a good representation of Tyrannosaurus? Yes. Easily Rebor's best to date. However, is it the ultimate/ definitive / super-accurate reconstruction of one like some are claiming it to be? No. There are noticeable issues that a rigorous scientific reconstruction would not have, the leg musculature being a good example of such.

Also, isn't this the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread? I don't get why we're back to the guilt-tripping again. IMO this thread should be the place where constructive and informative conversations like this can be held without snide remarks and unnecessary guilt-tripping.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Lynx

Not a fan of ANY of PNSOS therapods, something about them looks incredibly off.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

I apologize if I seemed "angry" or "defensive" against the Rebor Kiss/Tusk criticism. I want to be clear that was not my intentions whatsoever. It was more so arguing that this figure was only claimed to be "definitive" due to some collectors looking for a Tyrannosaurus that can fit their needs.

Again, I am well aware that this figure is by no means 100% accurate, nor definitive for the genus. But, I do not think there is any perfect static figure for this genus. Both Wilson and Kiss/Tusk seem equal to me in terms of accuracy, and it all comes down to preferences for collectors like myself.

Again, my apologies L @Leyster if this seemed out of line. Those were not my intentions.

Quote from: Lynx on September 06, 2022, 03:11:41 PMNot a fan of ANY of PNSOS therapods, something about them looks incredibly off.
Understandable. I think there is a general consensus that their herbivores are their strong suit. But I do think PNSO have quite a few therapods that are definitive currently.

Like their Siamosaurus, of course until further evidence/fossils turn up for this genus.
Their Spinosaurus is great, and a lot of people consider it to be the best currently available.
Another would be their Tarbosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus. Again, my only issue is the lack of lips, otherwise these are great therapods. But PNSO of course have their misses.

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on September 06, 2022, 03:29:10 PM
Quote from: Lynx on September 06, 2022, 03:11:41 PMNot a fan of ANY of PNSOS therapods, something about them looks incredibly off.
Understandable. I think there is a general consensus that their herbivores are their strong suit. But I do think PNSO have quite a few therapods that are definitive currently.

Like their Siamosaurus, of course until further evidence/fossils turn up for this genus.
Their Spinosaurus is great, and a lot of people consider it to be the best currently available.
Another would be their Tarbosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus. Again, my only issue is the lack of lips, otherwise, these are great therapods. But PNSO of course have their misses.

I do agree the Spinosaurus and their Tarbosaurus are great! A lot of the other therapods for me have this strange blended look (ex. the acrocanthosaurus) that are a bit of a turn-off for me. I hope in the future PNSO stops doing the blended texture.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

I do (somewhat)  understand what you mean by blended texture, but I must say, PSNOs Acrocanthosaurus is probably their best main line figure. But I do agree the herbivores are usually far better than the theropods

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Flaffy on September 06, 2022, 09:36:45 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 06, 2022, 08:12:01 AMI would also say that getting the torso shape & structure entirely incorrect for a T. rex is a much larger issue than some problems with how thick the legs are.

How so? It looks about right for the girth and bulk of AMNH 5027. Not every specimen of Tyrannosaurus is Sue or Scotty sized ya know.

His torso is tall, but not broad at all. The Tarbosaurus has the same problem to an even larger extent.

GojiraGuy1954

It's the faces, no lips

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 06, 2022, 04:15:08 PMI do (somewhat)  understand what you mean by blended texture, but I must say, PSNOs Acrocanthosaurus is probably their best main line figure. But I do agree the herbivores are usually far better than the theropods
All of them would look leagues better if they had reasonable oral tissue.

Concavenator

Couldn't add anything else to the Rebor Tyrannosaurus thing that L @Leyster and avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy haven't shared already.

Especially these two quotes sum how I feel about it:

Quote from: Leyster on September 05, 2022, 06:36:22 PMAnyway, I think you all are missing the point. The whole thing is not "what is the better Tyrannosaurus between PNSO and Rebor", is "the Rebor model is not as good in the scientific area as is claimed".

Quote from: Flaffy on September 06, 2022, 09:43:38 AMIs it a good representation of Tyrannosaurus? Yes. Easily Rebor's best to date. However, is it the ultimate/ definitive / super-accurate reconstruction of one like some are claiming it to be? No. There are noticeable issues that a rigorous scientific reconstruction would not have, the leg musculature being a good example of such.

When it comes to Tyrannosaurus, the BotM could be considered the definitive one, as will probably be the Eofauna as well, once it's released. I think those two will be the very best.

Still, I hope Rebor continues their attempts at more accurate prehistoric animals, credit where credit is due, they have a lot of potential. I simply hope they pay a little more attention to scientific accuracy.

Halichoeres

Yes, PNSO's theropods lack reasonable oral tissue, and theropods often have overbites because the lower tooth row fits inside the upper. The combination makes them all look like Nelson Muntz as a dinosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 08, 2022, 01:11:10 PMYes, PNSO's theropods lack reasonable oral tissue, and theropods often have overbites because the lower tooth row fits inside the upper. The combination makes them all look like Nelson Muntz as a dinosaur.
Perhaps we shouldn't be too vocal about this - it might give them an even worse attitude?

jc_4130

I just stumbled on this hobby, and I have purchased a few PNSO and Eofauna figures.  I would like to add my own controversial opinions with the boldness and confidence that only an ignorant neophyte can have!

- I am not a fan of dramatic poses/positions and color schemes.  I think sculptors sometimes try too hard in this regard.  The poses often look overly dramatic, distract from the physical features of the animal (which is of more interest to me) not to mention causing standing issues.  Same for paint.  I know that technically anything is possible, but dramatic paint schemes look tacky to me.  And while some large extant animals have interesting color schemes, a simpler one seems like a safer guess as far as realism.

- I know there is a lot of controversy about how harshly figures should be judged with regard to accuracy - I think it depends on how the company presents itself.  Pop culture replica?  Unabashed toy?  No big deal.  But my impression is that PNSO talks a very big game with regard to scientific accuracy, I think they deserve all the hate for obvious (as in proven or highly probable from fossil evidence) errors. For example see below...

- On that subject, the PNSO Tylosaurus, and its lack of a 'knob' on the snout drives me crazy.  I know it's a small detail, but it's literally the defining characteristic of the animal.  I wouldn't be so bothered by except that the booklet that came with the figure correctly mentions the rostrum in about 50 different places, including sketches and 3D renderings.  But not on the actual model.  WHY.

- I hope Eofauna never changes as far as release tempo.  IMO it's no coincidence that the company with the fewest releases per year also has the best figures.

- Until someone finds indisputable fossil evidence that therapods and aquatic tetrapods had giant honking seams under their jaws, I move that articulated jaws be banished from this world.  The jaw on my otherwise lovely PNSO Yutyrannus look awful.

I know this is all subjective, but this is the place for strong opinions, right?  :))

Lynx

Completely agree with this. I am not a huge fan of PNSO for those reasons exactly. I kind of wish the articulated jaws are replaced with a still mouth.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: jc_4130 on September 08, 2022, 03:30:54 PM- On that subject, the PNSO Tylosaurus, and its lack of a 'knob' on the snout drives me crazy.  I know it's a small detail, but it's literally the defining characteristic of the animal.  I wouldn't be so bothered by except that the booklet that came with the figure correctly mentions the rostrum in about 50 different places, including sketches and 3D renderings.  But not on the actual model.  WHY.
I think the majority of the community agrees with you on this.

Quote from: jc_4130 on September 08, 2022, 03:30:54 PM- Until someone finds indisputable fossil evidence that therapods and aquatic tetrapods had giant honking seams under their jaws, I move that articulated jaws be banished from this world.  The jaw on my otherwise lovely PNSO Yutyrannus look awful.  :))
As to why I had someone add lips to my lovely PNSO Yutyrannus model.

Also, if articulated jaws were removed, would you be more inclined to purchase figures with open or closed mouth's?
Me personally I would always choose closed mouths especially for therapods.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: