News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: JohannesB on September 05, 2022, 03:33:38 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 29, 2022, 09:01:16 PMI miss the days where you could go to an educational toy store and find all these animals on the display. I was there for the dinosaurs, of course, but there was something about seeing them in person that filled me with joy and happiness. 

I know exactly what you mean. I have some rather vivid memories (and strong associated feelings, I guess) of being able to see the Invicta dinosaur toy models for sale at museums and zoo's. It is there that I acquired most of them. I miss the sensation of seeing beautiful toy models in (museum) shops and being able to grab them and take them home with me. (It goes even so far as me having sometimes dreams about it. Yeah, it is weird.. :P)

You must be a wee bit older than me  ;D
I grew up in the 90's, and there were a ton of educational toy stores in Caracas. Most of them were in malls, some of them were holes in the corner, and not very many of them existed, to be honest. And when we moved back to the US in the 2000s, these kinds of stores were in a sharp decline. My closest one was across the state in Seattle, and they're all gone now.
I've been using the internet actively since 1998, and looking for dinosaur figures was fun, even beyond the 2000's, but now it's so...I don't know. I wish Hobbytown USA carried Safari and others (I don't go to Hobby Lobby, that place can go to the underworld), and there's not a lot of museums here in the PNW. Most existing brick and mortar Educational Toy Stores don't carry any of them either. Luckily the Fred MEyer store next door sells Schleich, which isn't... isn't something to celebrate, and Michael's sells Safari, but it's stuff I've owned already for years. Finding the newer Pteranodon was a miracle, and they only have one, too.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot I agree-- it just isn't the same buying online. My favorite stores have either closed or don't have a good selection anymore. I did recently discover a toy store in my area with an impressive display, though. I've been meaning to create a thread like this for a while now about our favorite toy stores. I suppose now's as good a time as any.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

PrimevalRaptor

I can deeply relate on this, finding models in person is just way more satisfying to me and it also reminds me a lot of my childhood, with stuff like museum visits, the rare time some stores here stocked Safari Ltd models or just going to the city with my grandma and getting to pick a new dinosaur for my collection.
Sadly nowadays it's just 99% Schleich for models, with Mattel at least bringing some diversity on the toy shelf. I am very glad one chain here has at least some Papo models but I do miss when Bullyland was around too.

Libraraptor

Yes, avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor , agreed. It is so sad that we are crammed with bad Schleich figures due to Schleichs aggressive and brazen marketing instead of having a real choice. Obviously people who like good dinosaur figures or even models are no real target group in retail in Germany.

Tylosaurus

Hey all  8)

it's been a while but today I did manage to pick up one of these at Everything Dinosaur :)

Acrocanthosaurus atokensis
PNSO Models, China
Scale 1:30

Acro doe!

This images are the reference ones made by PNSO.

This was one I had to add being an Acro fan myself  it's one of my favored Dino's of all time.
Can't go wrong with PNSO right :)

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus that'd be a fun thread! I wouldn't be able to say much in it though because I don't remember any of the names of the stores I went to as a kid, and it would not matter because they are all gone. I would just say "uhm, Target, Walmart, Fred Meyer, my pc"
avatar_Tylosaurus @Tylosaurus I did not realize how big that thing is. Maybe I ought to rethink the whole collecting PNSO thing...

I got these about a week or so ago because life hit really hard last week. The new Dimetrodon figure is identical to all the others, but this one has nothing special. I sense a shelfwarmer. I also got the Target Carnotaurus and Atrociraptors chase Crispy Brat across Malta set. I had ignored it for weeks, hoping the price would come down, but it never did, and it was the last one in the store. I clenched my jaw and paid for it. The bike is new though, and the Carnotaurus is odd in that it has its own size class. Usually you get small dinos, roarivore sized dinos, mega dinos, and "the big bad", sizes 1 and 2, usually T.rex. Then there's Colossal sized which includes Mosasaurus, Brachiosaurus, etc. Dominion is strange in that it already created two new sizee classes, one with this Carnotaurus and two with the Extreme Damage Allosaurus.
Also, I have been meaning to ask the following: What's up with the Atrociraptor's heads? Why are they like that?

Libraraptor

Toyway WWD Liopleurodon and Polacanthus  8)

Tylosaurus

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot Yea PNSO has nice sizes  medium sized models I'd say  :)

It's mainly accuracy and details that deliver for me, PNSO & Eofauna have really impressed me since I have kind of made a mini comeback in collecting Dinu models.
My RL Mr.Spino (his nick name) friend and I call them Dinus it's a thing we have just for those wondering  :))

Other than this a "Yangchuanosaurus shangyouensis" model by PNSO or Eofauna would be very welcoming, the same for an "Epanterias amplexus" as well, never seen a model of that large Allosaurid before, but it would surely be nice to add.

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor nice adds there man, cool to see you're still collecting dinus xD

Pliosaurking

Won this beautiful figure off a bid not too long ago
A mint condition Carnegie Tylosaurus! One of my holy grails!

Fembrogon

Awesome catch! The Carnegie Tylosaurus is one of my desired items as well. Great job at obtaining one!

Tylosaurus

avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking Hey nice find man, I still am enjoying mine since it came out, you can see it in my sig hehe :)
But nice to see you finally found one yourself, it's hard to beat even to this very day  8)

EmperorDinobot

Y'all don't have a Carnegie Tylosaurus? I got mine when they were out. It's definitely one of my favorites. I really miss The Carnegie Collection.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Tylosaurus on September 06, 2022, 07:44:55 PMavatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor nice adds there man, cool to see you're still collecting dinus xD

Yes, I do, albeit not with the same intensity and regularity as I once used to. But I still enjoy a good find and keeping my eyes open.

Duna

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor congrats for those two WWD  ^-^ In fact Polacanthus is one of my favourites, it's large and its colour is incredible. You can restore very easily that Liopleurodon to its beauty with black acrilic paint, it's a good thing to be painted in only two colours  :))

Congrats avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking for that holy grail! The Carnegie tylosaurus is one of the figures I've adquired recently because it's never too late to get such magnificent piece before it becomes more expensive and rare.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dusty Wren on August 30, 2022, 10:10:02 PM

Photos don't really do them justice. I'm always blown away by how much detail Kaiyodo can pack into these tiny gashapon figures. And I am overjoyed to finally have a Thylacosmilus.

It really is amazing what Kaiyodo pulls off for just a few bucks a pop. These figures are gorgeous.

Congrats on the Tylosaurus, avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking; while it's probably not the most accurate Tylosaurus anymore, I think it's still the prettiest.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

My last items from the AliExpress "back to school" sale arrived today. I'm not sure why they chose to pack a single item from the PNSO store with my items from My Online Toy Store, but no matter.

I'm not sure, but Miragaia is such an unusual herbivore I could see it becoming a favorite of mine in the future. PNSO certainly did a splendid job with their rendition.

GR Toys may be hit or miss with their releases, but Dicraeosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus are definite hits. Dicraeosaurus is one of those genera I often saw in books in a kid even if it was always just a tertiary genus, so it's very nice to see it finally get such a high-quality model on the market.
Carcharodontosaurus is awesome. I'm still a sucker for allosauroids, and this is easily one of the finest theropod models I've seen in a while. It's not perfect, though; I had to realign the jaw to close perfectly, and the feet are off-level by nearly a whole centimeter while being hard enough to resist the hot water treatment. I'll have to figure out what to do if I want this model to continue standing on its own two feet.

SidB

Tylosaurus

yea sweet choices there too avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon , yet the PNSO "Carcharodontosaurus saharicus" nicknamed Gamba surely looked a bit different than the one you have there, yet yours surely is anice choice none the  less!

Here the one I have:

Even so I do still think that PNSO has the best and most accurate "Carcharodontosaurus saharicus"out there, well from what I have seen thus far, models always change due to the data found and such.
But you are right, GR Toys surely did do well with theirs version of it.

Ludodactylus

First new addition in a bit - the 2017 Schleich Kentrosaurus. A very attractive and animated sculpt, and my third Kentrosaurus, making it the most-represented genus in my collection.

"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Thialfi

Quote from: Ludodactylus on September 09, 2022, 09:14:53 PMFirst new addition in a bit - the 2017 Schleich Kentrosaurus. A very attractive and animated sculpt, and my third Kentrosaurus, making it the most-represented genus in my collection.

Nice! Which would you say is your favourite?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: