News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Ok, this is kind of an OT question but IDK I tought of asking here: I remember that years ago (maybe on the old site) there was an user in which collection they used the Carnegie mountain as base for the Battats and displayed the Playvision amphibians in front of it. Do anybody know who it might have been? It was a really aesthetic collection.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Mattyonyx

Can anyone help me identify these very sibbickesque toys? They don't look like UKRD dinosaurs and the T. rex comes with a skeleton.

Dilopho

Quote from: Eternity on September 17, 2022, 01:07:20 AMThese were a Christmas gift when I was young; and I seem to have tore part of the label off..
I can't say whether all the labels on the box are originally from this box, or if I took them off of something else

Some of the molds are the same as the Marx dinosaurs; what that means I don't know.
Any information is greatly appreciated; I'm trying to catalogue the figures I've accumulated over the years.

Well you have some manufacturing info there on the labels, I had this set too as a kid in the UK so it must've been multi-country. These dinosaurs are practically all remolded figures, from marx dinosaurs and others, or remolded "chinasaurs". Still, this is super nostalgic for me to see, thanks for posting it  :o

Duna

Quote from: Mattyonyx on September 23, 2022, 11:58:35 PMCan anyone help me identify these very sibbickesque toys? They don't look like UKRD dinosaurs and the T. rex comes with a skeleton.
They could be inspired in the UKRD sculpts but with an updated look, the Tyrannosaurus looks very nice. The apatosaurus is clearly based on the 1991 Museum Line UKRD apatosaurus. UKRD released skeleton versions of the 1992 large figures (but smaller than the ML) and were included together with the figure in some packages. It looks like a company something similar with the larger versions.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Dilopho

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 24, 2022, 01:46:29 PMThey are the "Then and Now" collection by Galoob:
http://melbirnkrant.com/ruff/page43.html

This one is ABSURD, lol... they left out EVERY identifying feature!! Save maybe the face...

Mattyonyx

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 24, 2022, 01:46:29 PMThey are the "Then and Now" collection by Galoob:
http://melbirnkrant.com/ruff/page43.html

Thanks a lot! Wow, looks like they're all inspired by The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs  :D

Crackington

Quote from: Leyster on September 23, 2022, 01:33:43 PMOk, this is kind of an OT question but IDK I tought of asking here: I remember that years ago (maybe on the old site) there was an user in which collection they used the Carnegie mountain as base for the Battats and displayed the Playvision amphibians in front of it. Do anybody know who it might have been? It was a really aesthetic collection.

I had a quick search through the Forum (just looked for "Carnegie Mountain") and member Pangolinmoth had a customised mountain with some Battats and Carnegies on it: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0#msg613

You need to scroll up to top of thread to see the picture.

It's a very nice display, but I am not sure about the Playvisions amphibians? Perhaps they reconfigured it from earlier, maybe in DTF 1?

Leyster

@Crakington, thank you, yes I think it was from the DTF v1
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

godsonsafari

I'm visiting my Mom back in CT, and she's kept a lot of my dinosaur toys over the years. Actually, she's kept practically all of them. I've got a pile of British Museum pieces piled up and some chinese ones with maker's marks on them to help ID them already, but there's plenty of stuff I haven't found yet. I tried a reverse image search for these two and came up completely empty handed. One is a T-Rex, the other a Woolly Mammoth, both diecast, probably 1.5" in length and 1" in height.

Anyone have any idea what these could be and if they have any value? There's a pile of small/medium sized toys as well that are Chinese plastic ones which I've put to be thrown out which I could post a big shot of too.

tinyvinyldinos

I return, with more epic beasts for identification. These are supposedly rubber!
They're tiny and adorable and I'm going insane on eBay looking for two specific K&M minis anyways, so I bought them. As a treat.

Libraraptor

T @tinyvinyldinos Those are  "Micro Tiere" (micro animals) by Schleich.

Libraraptor

Sorry, but I just remembered the Micro Tiere Edition is by Bullyland, not by Schleich. However, the tiny figures on the picture are by Schleich. They are just not called Micro Tiere.

tinyvinyldinos

Quote from: Libraraptor on October 31, 2022, 04:29:04 AMSorry, but I just remembered the Micro Tiere Edition is by Bullyland, not by Schleich. However, the tiny figures on the picture are by Schleich. They are just not called Micro Tiere.

Knowing they were Schliech was all I needed to know- I found their toy animal wiki intro here.

SidB

I picked this bison up at a thrift shop several years ago and have wondered what extinct species it is meant to represent and who made it. There is no manufacturers info on the figure. The hump indicates the extant species, B. bison, but the horns counter indicate this. They seem too long for B. antiquus, but not precisely the right shape for B. latifrons:

What do you think?

Halichoeres

G @godsonsafari I've checked every place I know but haven't turned up a match for your little guys.

S @SidB I could be wrong but to my eye this just an American bison with somewhat exaggerated horns.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

S @SidB Looks like some form of the Hausser Elastolin American bison?

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on November 10, 2022, 02:47:47 PMS @SidB Looks like some form of the Hausser Elastolin American bison?

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, you are certainly right, that's exactly what it is. Thanks!

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 10, 2022, 02:31:38 PMG @godsonsafari I've checked every place I know but haven't turned up a match for your little guys.

S @SidB I could be wrong but to my eye this just an American bison with somewhat exaggerated horns.
Agreed, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres . As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy points out, it is (was) originally a Hausser/Elastolin product. These oversized horns have been afixed to replace the original Bison bison sized ones, no doubt. Thanks!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: