News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo 2022 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medzo

Quote from: SidB on July 05, 2021, 06:50:25 PM
Yes, that's got to be a letdown! Have you considered getting either the green or brown versions of the juvenile and having a repaint done?

I don't have the tools nor the paint for anything like that yet. Can you suggest any paint brand that should have the same/similar quality the original paint has? Like for touching as well so it won't feel like some plastic model kit instead of a chunky rubber dino.

SidB

Quote from: Medzo on July 06, 2021, 11:22:13 PM
Yes, that's got to be a letdown! Have you considered getting either the green or brown versions of the juvenile and having a repaint done?

I don't have the tools nor the paint for anything like that yet. Can you suggest any paint brand that should have the same/similar quality the original paint has? Like for touching as well so it won't feel like some plastic model kit instead of a chunky rubber dino.
Chris uses Army Painter, Game Color and some Americana acrylics. The sealer is 'Munistorum Varnish' from GW.

Medzo

Quote from: SidB on July 08, 2021, 01:14:31 AM

Chris uses Army Painter, Game Color and some Americana acrylics. The sealer is 'Munistorum Varnish' from GW.

Thanks for the suggestions! Another question: Could you link me some examples, what detail/quality can be achieved with proper tools and practice?

SidB

Quote from: Medzo on July 09, 2021, 01:58:43 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 08, 2021, 01:14:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Another question: Could you link me some examples, what detail/quality can be achieved with proper tools and practice?
Sorry for the delay, it's been a while since I visited this thread. May I suggest that you visit the "Customised Figures" section of the DTF, specifically my thread - Sid's Repaints - revisiting the past. See the Triceratops or Parasaurolophus repaints, or the Battat repaints also.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 30, 2021, 05:04:39 PM
I think Papo should focus less on dinosaurs and more on mammals and other prehistoric creatures. I special ordered nearly the whole set from a toy store near me back in 2007 when I first discovered Papo dinosaurs, but in the past few years lost interest and have not been keeping up. The only new figures I've been interested in are the cave bear, megaloceros, and megalodon, which are all the best toy representatives of their species. I would like to see a dicynodont (placerias or kannemeyeria), and a moa (dinornis or pachyornis) from Papo, as long as they get the same treatment as their mammals and birds and aren't made by the sculptor who does their dinosaurs.
I just hope the sculptor of the marine reptiles and the amarga doesnt do anything this year
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 20, 2021, 11:08:01 PM
I think Papo should focus less on dinosaurs and more on mammals and other prehistoric creatures. I special ordered nearly the whole set from a toy store near me back in 2007 when I first discovered Papo dinosaurs, but in the past few years lost interest and have not been keeping up. The only new figures I've been interested in are the cave bear, megaloceros, and megalodon, which are all the best toy representatives of their species. I would like to see a dicynodont (placerias or kannemeyeria), and a moa (dinornis or pachyornis) from Papo, as long as they get the same treatment as their mammals and birds and aren't made by the sculptor who does their dinosaurs.
I just hope the sculptor of the marine reptiles and the amarga doesnt do anything this year

Now watch him do a Utahraptor with sparse feathers, a dragging tail, and a derpy expression.  :P
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 12:10:56 PM

Now watch him do a Utahraptor with sparse feathers, a dragging tail, and a derpy expression.  :P
That, for me, raises the question of which direction Papo goes in 2022, after this dismal 2021 - raising their game to a whole new level, or descend into Schleichean mediocrity?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SidB on August 08, 2021, 12:48:02 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 12:10:56 PM

That, for me, raises the question of which direction Papo goes in 2022, after this dismal 2021 - raising their game to a whole new level, or descend into Schleichean mediocrity?
Just because they had a shit year doesnt mean they are becoming schleich lol

SidB

GojiraGuy1954

Does anybody know how big the Megalodon is?

GojiraGuy1954

Papo list
Gallimimus bullatus
Mosasaurus hoffmanni
Running Carcharodontosaurus iguidensis
Subadult Tyrannosaurus rex
Edmontosaurus regalis
Megatherium americanum
Paraceratherium bugtiense
Kosmoceratops richardsoni

Carnoking

Wait... is that a want list or a leak?

Edit: forgot which thread I was in. Carry on.  ;D

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Carnoking on August 27, 2021, 07:55:51 PM
Wait... is that a want list or a leak?

Edit: forgot which thread I was in. Carry on.  ;D
Dude i bloody WISH it was a leak

Sim

Quote from: Leyster on June 28, 2021, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: Sim on February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Torvosaurus tanneri - based on the Elvis specimen, NOT coloured like the Dinosaur Revolution one please.  Another good reference could be Scott Hartman's new skeletal: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/theropods/torvosaurus

Hartman's Torvosaurus is still based on juvenille remains and thus not an adequate representation of the animal. I suggest paleojoe's one

or randomdinos' one

...not that Papo would care, I suppose...

The three Torvosaurus skeletals look like they would appear basically identical once soft tissue is put on...  I'm not seeing how Scott Hartman's is based on juvenile remains.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on August 28, 2021, 01:00:07 PM
Quote from: Leyster on June 28, 2021, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: Sim on February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Torvosaurus tanneri - based on the Elvis specimen, NOT coloured like the Dinosaur Revolution one please.  Another good reference could be Scott Hartman's new skeletal: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/theropods/torvosaurus

Hartman's Torvosaurus is still based on juvenille remains and thus not an adequate representation of the animal. I suggest paleojoe's one

or randomdinos' one

...not that Papo would care, I suppose...

The three Torvosaurus skeletals look like they would appear basically identical once soft tissue is put on...  I'm not seeing how Scott Hartman's is based on juvenile remains.
It's a lot smaller

Lynx

I came up with a plan as of recent to keep Papo from just completely vanishing from peoples interest.
Papo has five other brands that have already outdone them in the JP department, and PNSO, CollectA, and Safari quickly rise to the same ranks, if not better detail than them. In it's downfall, the competition rose about it, so Papo needs something NEW.

A remodel of their Tyrannosaurus. It is a bit of an odd thought, but, think about it. We don't have any brands with a affordable price for children, and I am sure it will not be long until Safari LTD or CollectA takes that early gap, so why not Papo, while it can? It does not need to be perfect, but a chunky, less shrink-wrapped version of their classic running Rex, one would assume, should be a massive hit among the dying crowd of Papo fans.

However, plenty people on the forum have some of the more expensive Tyrannosaurus, and I doubt it would be worth many peoples money for a lower quality figure of a good one they have.

Thus, leads me to another figure to bring to their line, a Utahraptor or pterosaur. Papo has proven they do an excellent job on feathering and pterosaurs, so I see good reason to release two things they make well. That, and the lack of a Utahraptor figure (surprisingly) in the toy market, in my opinion, could revive the line.

After the disaster of 2021 and 2022, I think they need it.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

They certainly need it, as regards their dino line,But that line is only part of their offerings. So maybe the dino situation doesn't bother them.

Lynx

Their dinosaur line is one of their bestsellers, but I agree, they likely don't care much if they loose popularity in that degree.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

I too, avatar_Lynx @Lynx , would like to see Papo try its hand at rendering accurate figures, without the absurd, implausible poses that came to dominate the line, exemplified by the ridiculous Giganotosaurus, a figure that was a colossal disappointment to most, having been eagerly anticipated, but released as a sort of Cretaceous gunslinger. What  started out as flair, degenerated into simple folly. A shame, because the high production values at continued, but only served to tease the audience as to could have been. Could they compete with PNSO for that niche in the market? I think so, but would they want to?

Lynx

I think Papo would have a clear degree over PNSO if they did that, as Papo models are;
1. More affordable
2. Able to be used as toys
3. Still close to the same detail despite that

I am unsure if Papo would ever want to do such, though. PNSO has set itself on a clear throne among the various companies, and I don't think it would seem to be worth it for Papo.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: