News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo 2022 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Some prehistoric plants. How bad could they mess that up?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 24, 2021, 10:12:17 PM

they put a trex face on it and have it in the position of that giga
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lynx on March 24, 2021, 10:19:37 PM

they put a trex face on it and have it in the position of that giga

Oh no. Giant carnivorous plants are a trope in bad paleo media, so that actually tracks.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SidB

I'm concerned about Papo and dinosaurs. It seems to me that PNSO has completely pre-empted their project. For many years we've seen that Papo has produced a steady stream of figures that were highly detailed and life-like, but often lacking in accuracy and scientific realism, at least in part. Now PNSO, with their vastly greater output, has a line, ever growing, of figures that are equally detailed, often at the same price point, but more scientifically dependable. I don't think that this bodes well for Papo.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Surely Papo and PNSO are different markets? I know there is a rather strange occurance of people who display PNSO figures with unlicensed Jurassic Park merch from Namnu and the like, but generally speaking scientific and pop culture are still different markets are they not?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 18, 2021, 08:22:11 PM
Surely Papo and PNSO are different markets? I know there is a rather strange occurance of people who display PNSO figures with unlicensed Jurassic Park merch from Namnu and the like, but generally speaking scientific and pop culture are still different markets are they not?
Naturally I was thinking of dinos only, so that leaves our Papo's other offerings, the great majority of their sales, I'd suppose. But I wonder if many or even most of the folk who buy Papo dinosaurs don't realize the distinction between JP and science-based figures? Because both lines are highly detailed and around the same pricing, I'd see competition eventually becoming a problem for Papo. I'm curious about this year's Papo drought - Covid-19 or strictly sale's based?

Then again, maybe 2022 will witness a renaissance - a reset and rebirth with improvements to old standbys and some new ones to boot. That would be wonderful - one can hope.

bismarck

What I would love to see from Papo (or any good brand, such as Rebor, Nanmu) would be a titanosaur. Seems like the Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus get all the lime light, I wanna see an adult Argentinosaurus model, 1:35 scale! (I know its very unlikely, but a man can dream!)
My dream is to have a scaled figure of every single prehistoric creature I can think of. All I need to do now is learn how to design, learn how to sculpt, and learn how to paint...

triceratops83

Well, everyone got their wish granted with the Giganotosaurus, heh, so the next most requested would be a Gallimimus or maybe Corythosaurus. I think avoiding some goofy superpredator and releasing either of these would put Papo back into peoples' good books. I'd buy both of those options.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Torvosaurus tanneri - based on the Elvis specimen, NOT coloured like the Dinosaur Revolution one please.  Another good reference could be Scott Hartman's new skeletal: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/theropods/torvosaurus

Hartman's Torvosaurus is still based on juvenille remains and thus not an adequate representation of the animal. I suggest paleojoe's one

or randomdinos' one

...not that Papo would care, I suppose...
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SidB on June 18, 2021, 02:16:55 PM
I'm concerned about Papo and dinosaurs. It seems to me that PNSO has completely pre-empted their project. For many years we've seen that Papo has produced a steady stream of figures that were highly detailed and life-like, but often lacking in accuracy and scientific realism, at least in part. Now PNSO, with their vastly greater output, has a line, ever growing, of figures that are equally detailed, often at the same price point, but more scientifically dependable. I don't think that this bodes well for Papo.
PNSO stole Papo's market but then they lost it by continually upping the prices to an asinine degree
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

dragon53

I still want Papo to release a full-size Apatosaurus.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bismarck on June 28, 2021, 01:04:28 AM
What I would love to see from Papo (or any good brand, such as Rebor, Nanmu) would be a titanosaur. Seems like the Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus get all the lime light, I wanna see an adult Argentinosaurus model, 1:35 scale! (I know its very unlikely, but a man can dream!)

Given that Dreadnoughtus is set to appear in the next JW movie, it seems like the odds of a titanosaur are on the rise.

austrosaurus

Given how badly they mess up everything else they do, please don't tempt fate like that.

Honestly I'd be surprised if we get too much from them next year. I hope they get their act together, realise that their market share for Jurassic Park knockoffs is all but gone, and really get to work creating the most accurate and detailed dinosaur toys available in stores outside of Asia like everyone's known they've been capable of since 2006, but what I expect from them is the same boring fare that's seen them circling the drain for a few years now. Probably a Godzillafied big theropod in an unnatural pose with Crocodile Mouth Syndrome, something inspired by Jurassic Park (maybe a baby Stegosaurus or something from the new extended preview), and a medium-sized herbivore tacked on as an afterthought that ends up being the best of the lot for the same reason Stephen Bradbury won an Olympic gold medal.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think Papo should focus less on dinosaurs and more on mammals and other prehistoric creatures. I special ordered nearly the whole set from a toy store near me back in 2007 when I first discovered Papo dinosaurs, but in the past few years lost interest and have not been keeping up. The only new figures I've been interested in are the cave bear, megaloceros, and megalodon, which are all the best toy representatives of their species. I would like to see a dicynodont (placerias or kannemeyeria), and a moa (dinornis or pachyornis) from Papo, as long as they get the same treatment as their mammals and birds and aren't made by the sculptor who does their dinosaurs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

suspsy

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 30, 2021, 05:04:39 PM
I think Papo should focus less on dinosaurs and more on mammals and other prehistoric creatures. I special ordered nearly the whole set from a toy store near me back in 2007 when I first discovered Papo dinosaurs, but in the past few years lost interest and have not been keeping up. The only new figures I've been interested in are the cave bear, megaloceros, and megalodon, which are all the best toy representatives of their species. I would like to see a dicynodont (placerias or kannemeyeria), and a moa (dinornis or pachyornis) from Papo, as long as they get the same treatment as their mammals and birds and aren't made by the sculptor who does their dinosaurs.

All this.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Every time I get even remotely excited for a potential Papo figure, I'm reminded of this:

SidB

I've taken to modifying my Papo's, several of which I've posted on my repaint thread. Two more will follow. There is great satisfaction in rescuing a nice sculpt with good production values from serious design errors. However, some (you, Giganotosaurus) are beyond the Pale, i.e., are hopeless.

Medzo

I mainly wish for a Rainbow version of the Tyrannosaurus Rex Baby, so my first two ever dinosaurs - since I've started collecting - could have an offspring finally.

Now they only have this poor purple Polacanthus to play with.

SidB

Quote from: Medzo on July 05, 2021, 03:40:58 PM
I mainly wish for a Rainbow version of the Tyrannosaurus Rex Baby, so my first two ever dinosaurs - since I've started collecting - could have an offspring finally.

Now they only have this poor purple Polacanthus to play with.
Yes, that's got to be a letdown! Have you considered getting either the green or brown versions of the juvenile and having a repaint done?

Mattyonyx

Although I don't know if it's even been mentioned here or in other threads, I strongly suspect many companies, Papo included, have a Feathered T. rex in the works, in anticipation of its upcoming appearance in Jurassic World: Dominion.
Deliberately or not, Universal is giving third-parties another design to use, just when we though we've seen everything.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: