You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Colin Trevorrow plans for future JURASSIC movies

Started by dragon53, September 30, 2022, 03:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Given how insulting and dreadful the JW trilogy was, I was really hoping he'd be given the boot in favour of someone with a fresh perspective. My own fault for being an optimist.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

They should just adapt Dragon Teeth instead of making bad JP sequels
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

stargatedalek

I want to see more movies happen, but I'd rather see it opened up to other creators. Star Wars has seen great success doing that meanwhile we get Trevorow stifling the franchise.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres hahaha! That's a good one as well!

In all seriousness, let this series die please. The only thing I would myself and others enjoy would be something like Battle on Big Rock. That short was pretty good. Short films like that would be perfect if the Jurassic franchise is to continue. Otherwise, the films should be discarded.

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 30, 2022, 06:48:40 PMI want to see more movies happen, but I'd rather see it opened up to other creators. Star Wars has seen great success doing that meanwhile we get Trevorow stifling the franchise.
This exactly. Honestly best comparison. We have Bad Batch series, Mandalorian, Andor, Obi-wan series. All different creators involved (of course some have multiples or shared involvements).

Carnoking

Since each of Trevorrow's Jurassic efforts (directorial or writing) have grossed at least a billion each, I'd have a hard time believing Universal would be "giving him the boot" completely. Like it or not, I have a suspicion any future installment would have his fingerprints on it in some way or other, especially if it's a continuation of the direction he took the story in.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing other filmmakers take up the helm in the writing and directing department. Much as I appreciate Trevorow's love for the franchise and the work he's done to revive it*, I can't turn a blind eye to the steady decline in the storytelling department. And whereas I don't watch any of the aforementioned Star Wars shows, as I understand it Bryce Dallas Howard herself has received a fair amount of praise for the episodes she directed, and I think it would be very interesting to see her in the director's chair for a Jurassic show/film given her personal connection to the franchise.

*Not that it was just him of course, it takes a village.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Giganotosaurus

I loved the Jurassic World series, but I hope they wait a bit before releasing the next trilogy, to make it more special. Heck, I would have them wait 14 years, like between JPIII and World. But I would hope they release much more merchandise in-between, plus a live action mini series or two, and shorts.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

stargatedalek

Quote from: Carnoking on October 01, 2022, 02:11:23 AMAnd whereas I don't watch any of the aforementioned Star Wars shows, as I understand it Bryce Dallas Howard herself has received a fair amount of praise for the episodes she directed, and I think it would be very interesting to see her in the director's chair for a Jurassic show/film given her personal connection to the franchise.
This is the exact sort of thing I mean, would be amazing to see happen.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on October 01, 2022, 01:20:17 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 30, 2022, 06:48:40 PMStar Wars has seen great success doing that
Disney star wars? Success?
Uh, yeah. The sequels did relatively well even despite being largely lambasted (Last Jedi was the only one of them that even tried to do anything different or interesting, fight me), and the TV programs have been doing very well. Clone Wars S7, Bad Batch, Mandolorian, all sit among the highest rated Star Wars content in general.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on October 01, 2022, 07:52:32 PMI loved the Jurassic World series, but I hope they wait a bit before releasing the next trilogy, to make it more special. Heck, I would have them wait 14 years, like between JPIII and World. But I would hope they release much more merchandise in-between, plus a live action mini series or two, and shorts.

I'm still hoping for a prequel film or even a TV series that went back before the first JP film/book: Hammond, Dodgson and Lockwood are all young/middle-aged men, and the idea of cloned dinosaurs hasn't yet popped in anyone's mind yet.

Halichoeres

Trevorrow said in an interview recently that JP should not have had sequels, which is 100% correct: https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63776093
It never made sense for the story to continue.

avatar_Cretaceous Crab @Cretaceous Crab that could be an interesting story, but these movies haven't made billions by having interesting stories.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I want to see a buddy cop series where our protagonists are Fish and Wildlife agents that have to respond to dinosaur/human conflicts. Could be Compies raiding trash cans, Allosaurus killing livestock, Triceratops eating crops, or pterosaurs nesting on power lines. The kind of stuff that real wildlife agents respond to today but you know, with dinosaurs, and likeable lead characters. 

Carnoking

Quote from: Gwangi on October 02, 2022, 03:53:36 PMI want to see a buddy cop series where our protagonists are Fish and Wildlife agents that have to respond to dinosaur/human conflicts. Could be Compies raiding trash cans, Allosaurus killing livestock, Triceratops eating crops, or pterosaurs nesting on power lines. The kind of stuff that real wildlife agents respond to today but you know, with dinosaurs, and likeable lead characters. 

Mockumentary format, call it Parks and Rex.

Stegotyranno420

I love(d) this franchise, but I don't think we need any more. We have 2 trilogies now, so a hexalogy(?), and I think that's more than enough. I have been seeing JP style merch every for far too long, and I will be overjoyed if God's actual dinosaurs replaced the general publics image.
We need to move on at some point. It will be great if we had more education based documentaries rather than relativley half-witted(but still somewat fun) entertainment brought out by today's movies

SpartanSquat

I prefferd the saga needs a rest and new fresh crew. Collin did much better in the first movie than dominion.

Carnoking

I would have been fine if the story didn't move past Jurassic World. Back in 2015, that movie gave me exactly what I wanted: a vision of an operational dinosaur theme park and simple monster-on-the-loose popcorn action entertainment, all while successfully revitalizing my love for the franchise and dinosaurs in general. By the end, the park has fallen, the dinosaurs are out to reign free again, the T. rex roars out her dominance over a new kingdom, and we cut to black. The end. There was no need for further weak attempts to one-up the villain dinosaur of the original, no need for unfocused globe-trotting adventures, just another simple story of scientific hubris and greed going awry and coming back to quite literally bite our characters in the butt. But the movie did well and the movie business is stills business after all so Universal followed the money and as much as I'll always thrill at seeing dinosaurs on the big screen eating people, I understand why people don't take kindly to these sequels.

That being said, I do still think Jurassic is a fertile IP for additional stories, certainly more so than people give the sequels credit for. If an island of dinosaurs existed in life, I find it hard to believe that poachers or corporations or even simple tourist companies wouldn't be trying to exploit it, and we've seen all those ideas in play in the sequels. "It doesn't make any sense to go back to dinosaur island, blah blah blah," when yeah, there absolutely would be people trying to go to dinosaur island for all those reasons mentioned, and those efforts make strong enough catalysts for plot of necessity rescue missions. Not only that, but people continually getting in over their head and thinking visiting the island for whatever reason is going to be just a walk in the Park is exactly what Jurassic is all about. Survival stories like we got in Camp Cretaceous (seasons 1-3 that is  :P ) are more of what I would want to see from this franchise.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Gwangi on October 02, 2022, 03:53:36 PMI want to see a buddy cop series where our protagonists are Fish and Wildlife agents that have to respond to dinosaur/human conflicts. Could be Compies raiding trash cans, Allosaurus killing livestock, Triceratops eating crops, or pterosaurs nesting on power lines. The kind of stuff that real wildlife agents respond to today but you know, with dinosaurs, and likeable lead characters. 
I'd be down for that. "North Woods Law" but with Dinosaurs lol
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on October 02, 2022, 04:30:48 PM

Mockumentary format, call it Parks and Rex.

Didn't even think of doing it as a mockumentary but that definitely works. Ties in well with the viral site. Someone get Colin on the line!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: