News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2023 Wishlist

Started by profnik, August 30, 2022, 03:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on October 07, 2022, 02:29:54 PMMy Safari Spinosaurus fell off the shelf when I was doing some rearranging the other day and the damn snout broke again. And then it was so annoying gluing it back on that I seriously contemplated throwing the whole toy in the wastebasket. I fixed it and kept it in the end, but it really is a poor quality product.
Quite! I myself am happy with the Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx, but never much cared for the Spinosaurus. To me, it looked cheap. Outdated anatomy issues aside, I much prefer the quality, heft and shelf presence of the earlier Doug Watson one.

Lynx

I am hoping they do a new toob, mainly for some of the smaller dinosaurs or creatures so I can get something close in scale to the regular line of figures
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Lynx on October 07, 2022, 02:09:00 PMProbably not for this year, but a larger Spinosaurus out of a less brittle material would be nice from them, at least from a play standpoint.

Besides that, a Therizinosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Deinosuchus, or Camptosaurus would be awesome.

ESPECIALLY a camptosaurus, no idea why companies don't make it more often.

I agree with what you say regarding a new Spinosaurus from Safari.  It would give them the opportunity to produce a fully accurate version.  Maybe they'll make it once they sell out of the 2019 version.

Safari has made tyrannosauroids for 2020 (Qianzhousaurus), 2021 (Daspletosaurus) and 2022 (Albertosaurus and juvenile Tyrannosaurus).  That's four in the last three years.  I think it would be good if they took a break from them.  An exception I would make is for a new adult Tyrannosaurus which they could offer as a more accurate alternative to their feathered version.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on October 07, 2022, 06:45:40 PM
Quote from: Lynx on October 07, 2022, 02:09:00 PMProbably not for this year, but a larger Spinosaurus out of a less brittle material would be nice from them, at least from a play standpoint.

Besides that, a Therizinosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Deinosuchus, or Camptosaurus would be awesome.

ESPECIALLY a camptosaurus, no idea why companies don't make it more often.

I agree with what you say regarding a new Spinosaurus from Safari.  It would give them the opportunity to produce a fully accurate version.  Maybe they'll make it once they sell out of the 2019 version.

Safari has made tyrannosauroids for 2020 (Qianzhousaurus), 2021 (Daspletosaurus) and 2022 (Albertosaurus and juvenile Tyrannosaurus).  That's four in the last three years.  I think it would be good if they took a break from them.  An exception I would make is for a new adult Tyrannosaurus which they could offer as a more accurate alternative to their feathered version.
Theres already Wilson, Kiss, and the EoFauna rex coming
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Yes, and none of them are made by Safari.  I think Safari would benefit from having their own good featherless Tyrannosaurus.  It's a genus that almost has to be included with an accurate representation, and it would probably sell very well.  Plus, the PNSO lacks lips, the REBOR has shoddy tail attachment and evil-looking eyes and the Eofauna will probably have feathers which isn't for everyone.  There's room for a featherless adult Tyrannosaurus by Safari.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim are you interested in seeing a new Spinosaurus from Safari? If so, I'm surprised, I thought you weren't into fragmentary species. I agree there's room for improvement with the Safari 2021 one, it's not technically outdated as S @SidB said (unless I'm missing something, the latest discovery concerning Spinosaurus' anatomy was the 2020 one about the tail morphology) as precisely that figure came out as a response to that very finding, as they had just released another figure 2 years before. So it would be more correct to say it has inaccuracies (or inaccurate I could say, though I generally don't like to label a figure as such because if I consider any figure as inaccurate even when it has 1 known and relatively minor inaccuracy, then the 99,99 % of figures would be called inaccurate, though you could also perfectly say they are). The Mesozoic Life version will come out soon and that will probably be the one many people were looking for. That's not to say one by Safari wouldn't be a good seller, I'm sure it would, but I wish companies avoided releasing figures of a certain taxon when there's a really good figure of it by someone else, simply in order to increase the diversity of options. If we're talking about spinosaurids specifically, I'd much rather they released a new Suchomimus, I'm sure a new one would be much better than their 2014 one. For example, just see how much better the new Baryonyx is in comparison to that Suchomimus. Doug has evolved a lot.

As for my wishes, here are some I'd like to see:

Apatosaurus (about time, I guess!)
Updated Amargasaurus
Maiasaura
Brachylophosaurus
Sinosauropteryx
Zhenyuanlong
Halszkaraptor
Asfaltovenator

Sim

I'm not interested in a new Spinosaurus or Tyrannosaurus from Safari, I just think they would benefit from making them and their target audience would be happy if they made them.  I think the 2021 Safari Spinosaurus is inaccurate/outdated due to not having the first toe being weight-bearing.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on October 08, 2022, 09:18:45 PMYes, and none of them are made by Safari.  I think Safari would benefit from having their own good featherless Tyrannosaurus.  It's a genus that almost has to be included with an accurate representation, and it would probably sell very well.  Plus, the PNSO lacks lips, the REBOR has shoddy tail attachment and evil-looking eyes and the Eofauna will probably have feathers which isn't for everyone.  There's room for a featherless adult Tyrannosaurus by Safari.

What do you mean by the Eofauna one 'probably' having feathers?
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on October 08, 2022, 09:18:45 PMYes, and none of them are made by Safari.  I think Safari would benefit from having their own good featherless Tyrannosaurus.  It's a genus that almost has to be included with an accurate representation, and it would probably sell very well.  Plus, the PNSO lacks lips, the REBOR has shoddy tail attachment and evil-looking eyes and the Eofauna will probably have feathers which isn't for everyone.  There's room for a featherless adult Tyrannosaurus by Safari.
What makes you think the EoFauna one will be feathered? The Giga isn't

suspsy

Tyrannosaurus rex has minimal feathering in this book, which is written by the two experts behind EoFauna. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the toy will be similar. But we shall see.

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691180311/dinosaur-facts-and-figures
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

What suspsy said, plus there's an image by Eofauna of various dinosaurs in water and if I'm remembering right the Tyrannosaurus has some feathering like in Eofauna's book.  So it seems Eofauna supports Tyrannosaurus having some feathers.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Still need a Safari Nothosaurus.

Newt

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 09, 2022, 06:20:25 PMStill need a Safari Nothosaurus.
QFT. Or any Triassic marine reptile, really. So much weirdness, so few figures.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on October 09, 2022, 12:30:52 PMTyrannosaurus rex has minimal feathering in this book, which is written by the two experts behind EoFauna. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the toy will be similar. But we shall see.

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691180311/dinosaur-facts-and-figures
the diplo we got isnt the same from the book and the sauropods one is the newer of the two

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on October 10, 2022, 07:58:05 AM
Quote from: suspsy on October 09, 2022, 12:30:52 PMTyrannosaurus rex has minimal feathering in this book, which is written by the two experts behind EoFauna. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the toy will be similar. But we shall see.

the diplo we got isnt the same from the book and the sauropods one is the newer of the two

But the Atlasaurus is a dead ringer. Again, wait and see.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Would not mind a partially feathered rex to be honest with you lot. It is not out of the picture completely.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on October 10, 2022, 01:44:28 PMWould not mind a partially feathered rex to be honest with you lot. It is not out of the picture completely.
I'd like one too actually, though with the recent Dine Dana T-rex repaint of their feathered rex, I don't think that we'll see that in 2023. For now, I still use the tenth anniversary unfeathered Carnegie Safari 1/35 rex as my main Safari rex for display purposes. I regard it as superior to Forest's 2014 1/40 ish version.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on October 10, 2022, 01:43:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 09, 2022, 06:20:25 PMStill need a Safari Nothosaurus.
QFT. Or any Triassic marine reptile, really. So much weirdness, so few figures.
Yes, please. Askeptosaurus would work. Lariosaurus would work. Pistosaurus would work. Placochelys. Psephoderma. Any or all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on October 10, 2022, 12:48:28 PM

Because its an older model

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on October 11, 2022, 06:06:10 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 10, 2022, 12:48:28 PM

Because its an older model
And besides, the "Atlasaurus" in the Sauropods book is not Atlasaurus proper

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: