News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2022, 11:31:43 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on October 25, 2022, 05:24:53 PMIs it just me or has the Search function been rather off lately? Sometimes I want to find older posts/conversations within threads by searching keywords; but either limited, or even no results pop up.

I've checked spelling and spacing so that isn't the issue.

As far as I can tell, forum-wide search works fine, but within-thread search is completely broken. It's unfortunate because forum-wide only returns the most recent post in a thread to mention a term, but sometimes a term might be mentioned dozens of times in a single thread.

I rely heavily on 'within post' searches, especially on ATB.

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum was looking into it, but I haven't checked in on its progress.

DinoToyForum

There's a thread specifically about the forum's search feature here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10233.20

I'll post an update there now...

DinoToyForum

What do members think about moving the recent topics list to the top of the forum, above the board categories, so it is more prominent? Personally, I scan the recent topics list (in the left side bar) every time I log in. So, maybe it makes sense to move it front and centre. Moving it here also makes it appear at the top of the page in mobile view to save users having to scroll past the boards.

I've just moved the Recent topics list there temporarily, so we can see it in action and test it out for a day or two.

Concavenator

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 31, 2022, 03:11:21 PMWhat do members think about moving the recent topics list to the top of the forum, above the board categories, so it is more prominent?

I'd say it's a good idea.

Lynx

Not much of a fan of it. I tested the forum previously on mobile, both phone, and tablet, and had little to no trouble getting to the recent posts page. However, once I get home today, I will see if the recent posts page at the top of the forum changes anything.

I am unsure if you are considering keeping the recent posts page both at the top of the forum and its own page, (which is a little redundant), or if you want to remove the recent posts page and keep it at the top instead, which does not allow you to read the actual posts, and just tells you the thread, which is irritating. Especially when it's a very short message and you have to click on the thread just to see what it is.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

Is the new and recently updated topics supposed to be on top of the boards now (on PC browser)? Used to be below all of that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Faelrin on October 31, 2022, 03:53:41 PMIs the new and recently updated topics supposed to be on top of the boards now (on PC browser)? Used to be below all of that.
They aren't showing up at all for me.

Fembrogon

It's showing up that way for me; threw me off for a moment.  I'm used to seeing those in the side bar.

Lynx

No idea it used to be on the side, always used the recent posts tab itself.
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

While I do tend to scan the recent posts tab first, I'm not sure I want it dominating the top of the page. Then again, I can just be adverse to change sometimes, and I'm used to seeing the main boards first thing.

Bread

I actually really like the change. I'm
more inclined to revert to Recent Post(s) section of the forum before anything else.

I want to note to avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum that I received a login error message twice now since the change. The message states I receive some sort of 2 second delay? My recall on the message is bad, my apologies. I'll have to screenshot it next time. Note that I am on mobile.

Edit: To also add, it still allows me to login despite the message.

BlueKrono

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 31, 2022, 03:11:21 PMWhat do members think about moving the recent topics list to the top of the forum, above the board categories, so it is more prominent? Personally, I scan the recent topics list (in the left side bar) every time I log in. So, maybe it makes sense to move it front and centre. Moving it here also makes it appear at the top of the page in mobile view to save users having to scroll past the boards.

I've just moved the Recent topics list there temporarily, so we can see it in action and test it out for a day or two.

I'm all for it. I saved the Recent posts page in my favorites, so it's the first one I check out anyway.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SidB

That's definitely better for me.

DinoToyForum

Just to be completely clear, the Recent Posts page (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=recent) is slightly different (and separate) from the Recent Topics list on the front page. The Recent Topics list doesn't include the actual content of the posts, whereas the Recent Posts page does. So, the Recent Posts page will remain as is even if we adopt the Recent Topics list on the centre of the front page.

Also, I think an equally relevant question to consider is: would members miss the board index being on the front page? Because it's also possible for me to relegate the board index to a separate page completely (like the Recent Posts page) if there's a preference for that. I notice that the combination of Recent Topics AND the Board Index on the front page makes the page very tall!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bread on October 31, 2022, 04:16:10 PMI actually really like the change. I'm
more inclined to revert to Recent Post(s) section of the forum before anything else.

I want to note to avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum that I received a login error message twice now since the change. The message states I receive some sort of 2 second delay? My recall on the message is bad, my apologies. I'll have to screenshot it next time. Note that I am on mobile.

Edit: To also add, it still allows me to login despite the message.

That's odd, the change shouldn't have affected any functionality. Let me know if it keeps happening and share the exact error message.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 31, 2022, 04:04:07 PMWhile I do tend to scan the recent posts tab first, I'm not sure I want it dominating the top of the page. Then again, I can just be adverse to change sometimes, and I'm used to seeing the main boards first thing.

Yeah, that's why I'll leave it for a couple of days, sometime it's just a matter of getting used to a change.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 31, 2022, 03:11:21 PMWhat do members think about moving the recent topics list to the top of the forum, above the board categories, so it is more prominent? Personally, I scan the recent topics list (in the left side bar) every time I log in. So, maybe it makes sense to move it front and centre. Moving it here also makes it appear at the top of the page in mobile view to save users having to scroll past the boards.

Apologies for the confusion, I mistakenly posted this in the 'Dinosaur Toy Blog changes' thread. I've moved it, and the subsequent discussion, to the 'Forum changes' thread where it belongs.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2022, 03:55:26 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on October 31, 2022, 03:53:41 PMIs the new and recently updated topics supposed to be on top of the boards now (on PC browser)? Used to be below all of that.
They aren't showing up at all for me.

Really? How about now?

Roselaar

Oof, big change... I'm not thrilled by it, I miss the simple overview of categories on top now. Of course it's simply a matter of scrolling down.

Did others feel new posts were too hard to find in the previous categorized system? I never had such troubles. Maybe because I'm only using DTF on a web browser on my PC.

bmathison1972

I am not crazy about it either, but like all changes, I'll get used to it  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: