News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

"PaleoSculpture" by Michael Eischen

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), November 07, 2022, 02:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I haven't seen much discussion about Michael Eischen's 3D printed models, so I thought I'd share some that I recently painted! I also wrote about them on my blog.
Dino Dad Reviews "PaleoSculpture"

Here's the species I bought this time around. Left to right: the Giant Moa Dinornis robustus, Kannemeyeria, Arsinotherium, Pyrotherium, Uintatherium, modern Bison bison, the long-horned Bison latifrons, & Moropus.

I'm particularly pleased with how my Moa turned out, and it pairs nicely with the Safari Good Luck Mini Kiwi. Speaking of pairing, I tried to match the color of the Collecta Uintatherium as best as I could, because I like that pattern, but wanted it in 1:35-1:40 scale. And now the Mini version can be a rambunctious little calf!

I couldn't resist the visual pun of a Calico chalicothere.  ^-^

And here's my completed lineup! I've repainted a few minis before this, but this was the first time I ever tried something this involved. I think they turned out pretty good for my first "serious" try at painting a model!

Bread

I've always wanted to have a small collection of prehistoric mammals. However, they've always either been too large of a scale or only a particular niche, for example Eofauna's similar 1/30-1/40 scale mammals.

This would definitely be a resort to having a small collection of mammals. Now are they not 1/30-1/40 scale? Are they close to?

Halichoeres

It looks like over the years about a dozen threads have mentioned Eischen's work, but I don't think there's ever been a dedicated thread. A while back I got his Kannemeyeria and kinda botched the paint.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 07, 2022, 02:27:39 AMI think they turned out pretty good for my first "serious" try at painting a model!

I agree!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Quote from: Bread on November 07, 2022, 12:24:32 PMI've always wanted to have a small collection of prehistoric mammals. However, they've always either been too large of a scale or only a particular niche, for example Eofauna's similar 1/30-1/40 scale mammals.

This would definitely be a resort to having a small collection of mammals. Now are they not 1/30-1/40 scale? Are they close to?

They're in a wide range of scales, though the majority of them are either 1:35 or 1:48.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 08, 2022, 06:13:33 AMIt looks like over the years about a dozen threads have mentioned Eischen's work, but I don't think there's ever been a dedicated thread. A while back I got his Kannemeyeria and kinda botched the paint.

It looks like you got stuck with one of the lesser-quality prints, too, so that probably didn't help. Mine happened to have a finer grained print quality, so it was a little easier to work with. I like the general idea you were going for, though!
Hopefully having a dedicated thread will be useful going forward.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 08, 2022, 06:13:33 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 07, 2022, 02:27:39 AMI think they turned out pretty good for my first "serious" try at painting a model!

I agree!

Thank you!  ;D

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 09, 2022, 06:11:32 AMIt looks like you got stuck with one of the lesser-quality prints, too, so that probably didn't help. Mine happened to have a finer grained print quality, so it was a little easier to work with. I like the general idea you were going for, though!
Hopefully having a dedicated thread will be useful going forward.

All the lighter colored models are produced with a less precise printer/plastic, and so have more obvious print lines. The darker colored ones are much higher quality.

Any visible print lines on the darker models pretty much disappear once you painted them, while the rougher ones show through even with paint. You can see the difference here with my Moa and my Uintatherium. While the latter still has somewhat visible lines, the former looks practically hand-sculpted.

SidB

This is a great and overdue thread , avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) , one that we've needed for quite some time now. I've gotten a number of Mike's 1/35 figures, some of which have been painted, as you can see on my repaint thread. Terrific to see that you taken up the task to introduce him more formally to the DTF. BTW, your eye candy of a Chalicothere repaint is an inspiration for me to be more bold in my choice of colors and patterns for my commissions.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I got it several years ago before he made any casts, so it was a direct print, which I think is also a factor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have his brontotherium, but I really should pick up a few others, especially now since he's making higher quality resin casts. I've had the moa, merycoidodon, and kannemeyeria in my eBay cart for a while now. The merycoidodon would go well with the skull I have.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dusty Wren

I've got Michael's Paraceratherium and Moropus (love your calico take on it, avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)) and they're both great figures. I botched the paint on the Moropus, so it's currently buried in a box until I get over my shame and fix it, but the Paraceratherium's paint job turned out pretty well

I'm hoping to pick up some more of his figures soon. I like the look of the Phenacodus and Dinictis, especially.
Check out my customs thread!

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 11, 2022, 12:54:37 AMI have his brontotherium, but I really should pick up a few others, especially now since he's making higher quality resin casts. I've had the moa, merycoidodon, and kannemeyeria in my eBay cart for a while now. The merycoidodon would go well with the skull I have.

Oooh, I need a brontothere, too. I'm still trying to decide if I care that the existing models from the bigger companies are all out of scale for me, though.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on November 12, 2022, 06:57:42 PMI've got Michael's Paraceratherium and Moropus (love your calico take on it, avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews))

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it.  ^-^