News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2022, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Flaffy on November 01, 2022, 07:23:41 PMI don't imagine David and co. to screw up their Dilophosaurus. So we've got a really good one coming that's for sure.

I meant among un-articulated models, my apologies. David's versions are looking like the best of the bunch, by far.

Sim

Quote from: Sim on November 03, 2022, 09:17:03 PMI still don't see evidence for the crests beginning in the side of the snout.  Although while looking at the BotM Dilophosaurus and comparing it with the new skull reconstruction Flaffy shared, the crest of the BotM doesn't appear to begin early enough.  Hopefully this is corrected in the next step of the figure's development.

Looking again, the BotM's concept art doesn't look wrong.  It looks like the BotM and Cyberzoic Dilophosaurus figures will be the best versions of this genus!  I'm looking forward to getting mine! :)

Sim

I'm finding myself really liking the Favorite Dilophosaurus.  The crests appear to be following the older reconstruction, but I'm not sure it definitely wrong.  The crests appearing to start earlier on the snout than previously thought could be bone being deformed upwards perhaps?  The crests not looking like they extend from fenestrae could simply be that the base of the crest is underneath skin that it grows out of, I think.  The crests extending that far back I think could be just how far the keratin extends them.

I like the Favorite Dilophosaurus more than the newest Safari and CollectA versions.  The Favorite Therizinosaurus doesn't look good to me though, its colouration clashes badly in my opinion.

Sim

I was looking at the Favorite Dilophosaurus again and to me it appears the crest actually starts from the right place.  The nostril is placed further forward than the bony opening, like Doug Watson has been doing for the figures he sculpts.  And that's why the crest seems to start further back than the nostril.  I'm not entirely convinced the nostril would start so far forward but it is possible and I already have figures with their nostrils placed like this, such as figures by Doug and the PNSO Torvosaurus.  I'm fine with getting this Dilophosaurus too.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2022, 09:25:01 PMI was looking at the Favorite Dilophosaurus again and to me it appears the crest actually starts from the right place.  The nostril is placed further forward than the bony opening, like Doug Watson has been doing for the figures he sculpts.  And that's why the crest seems to start further back than the nostril.  I'm not entirely convinced the nostril would start so far forward but it is possible and I already have figures with their nostrils placed like this, such as figures by Doug and the PNSO Torvosaurus.  I'm fine with getting this Dilophosaurus too.
This is making me reconsider my inclination to bypass this figure. As for the Theri, maybe a repaint would work.

dinofelid

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2022, 09:25:01 PMI was looking at the Favorite Dilophosaurus again and to me it appears the crest actually starts from the right place.  The nostril is placed further forward than the bony opening, like Doug Watson has been doing for the figures he sculpts.  And that's why the crest seems to start further back than the nostril.  I'm not entirely convinced the nostril would start so far forward but it is possible and I already have figures with their nostrils placed like this, such as figures by Doug and the PNSO Torvosaurus.  I'm fine with getting this Dilophosaurus too.

I thought the main issue pointed out earlier in the thread (in this post from avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon and this one from avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy ) is that the surface of each crest should extend smoothly from/parallel to the covering of the antorbital fenestra, not skewed at an angle relative to the area between the eye and the nostril where the fenestra is.

Sim

I've just done a Google search for "dilophosaurus 2020" and I get results, including the reconstruction by Engh, that appear to show the crests are skewed relative to the rest of the skull.  I'm not sure it's known if Dilophosaurus's crests were skewed or upright.

dinofelid

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2022, 10:46:35 PMI've just done a Google search for "dilophosaurus 2020" and I get results, including the reconstruction by Engh, that appear to show the crests are skewed relative to the rest of the skull.  I'm not sure it's known if Dilophosaurus's crests were skewed or upright.

Which one are you looking at? Because of the angle it's a bit hard to tell in the case of this Engh cutaway image posted earlier in the thread, but it looks pretty parallel to the area of the fenestra in Engh's 3D reconstruction from this news release:

Also note that first cutaway image is actually a still from the animation starting at 10:27 in the youtube video below, and at the end when they show the external covering it's more clear that the crest does extend parallel to the part of the head overlying the fenestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jSOp2mr2s&t=627s

Also see his comments about the crests and fenestrae from 17 to 20 minutes into this video (he also shows off the 3D puppet reconstruction, turning it around at different angles, starting around 28:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6QDkg-_Nk&t=1070s

Sim

The main image I saw was the one you posted.  Past the antorbital fenestra the crest looks to have a concave shape to me.  In the first video you shared, at 11:30 the puppet can be seen from the front and the top half of the crests are skewed relative to the antorbital fenestra.

Fembrogon

I believe Brian Engh mentions in that above drawing video (still haven't watched the full thing, admittedly) that the crests would have grown away from each other in a roughly V-shape. In that regard, the Favorite model is fine; but frankly, that's been a common way of depicting the crests all along.
As D @dinofelid described, the big issue with the model is how the crests are(NOT) integrated into the very shape of the fenestrae. The figure shows the old way of simply sticking the crests on top of the bridge of the skull, completely separate from the fenestrae; when in reality the crests were an extension of fenestrae. There would be no clear divide between skull and crest; in life the sides of the face would have displayed soft tissue and/or a keratinous sheath  over the fenestral area which would continue up and outwards as the outer side of each crest.

Halichoeres

Now through February, the Gifu Prefectural Museum is hosting an exhibit of artwork by Takashi Oda and Hirokazu Tokugawa. Oda was responsible for the 2004 series of Dinosaur Soft Models, and Tokugawa is responsible for the Prehistoric Life Soft Models and the Dinosaur Skull Mini Models. As far as I can tell there aren't any exhibit exclusive figures, but that would certainly be a treat, so I'm keeping an eye out.

Event info (site in Japanese): https://f-favorite.net/blogs/journal/event_2022_post_0027
https://www.gifu-kenpaku.jp/kikakuten/pareo/
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

I don't see any postings on eBay of either the 2022 Therizinosaurus or Dilophosaurus, having looked a few times over the past couple of months. For that matter, the total number of postings seem way down compared with past years. I wonder if they are even available. I've frequently ordered this way in the past, before I bought through Brett, but the poverty of available Favorite Co. material on eBay is remarkable, IMO.

Georassic

Quote from: SidB on July 31, 2023, 01:59:02 AMI don't see any postings on eBay of either the 2022 Therizinosaurus or Dilophosaurus, having looked a few times over the past couple of months. For that matter, the total number of postings seem way down compared with past years. I wonder if they are even available. I've frequently ordered this way in the past, before I bought through Brett, but the poverty of available Favorite Co. material on eBay is remarkable, IMO.
I've noticed you don't see the Favorite Therizino floating around on ebay. I recall it was released right around same time as PNSO's Therizino. I wonder if it bombed and sold very poorly because of the superior PNSO, so Favorite retired it or at least cut production.

Lynx

Quote from: Georassic on July 31, 2023, 02:44:28 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 31, 2023, 01:59:02 AMI don't see any postings on eBay of either the 2022 Therizinosaurus or Dilophosaurus, having looked a few times over the past couple of months. For that matter, the total number of postings seem way down compared with past years. I wonder if they are even available. I've frequently ordered this way in the past, before I bought through Brett, but the poverty of available Favorite Co. material on eBay is remarkable, IMO.
I've noticed you don't see the Favorite Therizino floating around on ebay. I recall it was released right around same time as PNSO's Therizino. I wonder if it bombed and sold very poorly because of the superior PNSO, so Favorite retired it or at least cut production.

That might be possible sadly, I haven't seen a single person, even reviewers like Andy which tend to do more obscure companies, ever purchase the models.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Thanks for the feedback, avatar_Lynx @Lynx and avatar_Georassic @Georassic . They have been conspicuous by their absence. I have a vague recollection of the Theri for sale early in the new year on eBay, then nothing. You may well be right - not great products. Perhaps the reception was really poor.

Faelrin

S @SidB avatar_Georassic @Georassic They are available and in stock here (make sure it is the JP version of the site, not the English one):

Therizinosaurus Soft Model:
https://f-favorite.net/products/fdw-024

Dilophosaurus Soft Model:
https://f-favorite.net/products/fdw-025

Giganotosaurus Soft Model:
https://f-favorite.net/products/fdw-023

That said I'm pretty sure you can only order these if you are in Japan, so if anyone is actually interested in these I would recommend getting in touch with avatar_brettnj @brettnj. I'm sure the Vinyl models of these are in stock too, but I didn't take a look.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin ! Appreciate you digging this up.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.