News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2022, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettnj

These released today. Taking orders now.

Please PM if interested and not on my mailing list.

Thanks.
Brett

Faelrin

In case anyone wanted a proper side profile of the Dilophosaurus, we have it now (with more images at the link):

https://f-favorite.net/collections/dinosaur_softmodel/products/fdw-025

From what I understand looking at the images in the discussion about this from the last page, the nostril seems to be positioned like it was prior to the 2020 paper. For some reason the crest is extended all the way to the back of the skull. It could be a case of extended keratin, or just misplaced.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

*sigh*
I like to go to bat for Favorite when I can, but I'm just not impressed with this one. It's not a badly-made figure, per se, by Favorite's standards; but it's so obviously inaccurate in the skull that I don't feel any need to acquire this one. If this came out in 2019, sure; but it's 2022 and we explicitly know better.
Pass.

It's ironic, too, because somehow the Giganotosaurus from last year managed to be one of the most contemporary versions of that genus on the market. I guess that was a fluke.

SidB

I'm not a disinterested bystander either, as I have a large Favorite collection, and pick these up (usually from Brett), when they come available, but these two, while not bad choices per se, seem to leave something to be desired in the execution department. I'm definitely on the fence with these.

Fembrogon

I already have multiple pre-2020s Dilos in my collection that are good. If I want another, I'll jus bite the bullet on the Papo version finally.

What I REALLY need want is more Dilo figures showing the new crest designs. It's a wasted opportunity otherwise.

Halichoeres

Dilophosaurus is popular enough that by-and-by there's sure to be a stellar version incorporating the data from the description of the additional specimens. In the meantime I don't think there's any reason to settle.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I think the BotM is such a version. BTW what do you mean by this?

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2022, 02:27:12 PMincorporating the data from the description of the additional specimens.

Are you referring to the 2020 reinterpretation?

When it comes to Dilophosaurus though, the crest shape and extension aren't known.

Fembrogon

The full shape and extension aren't known, but we do know the manner in which the crests were attached/integrated into the structure of the skull; and it's fundamentally different than what Favorite and basically every other prior reconstruction have depicted.

Here's an example of pre-2020 crests (by Davide Bonadonna):
Spoiler
[close]

Versus an example of post-2020 crests (by Chase Stone):
Spoiler
[close]

Note how the old appearance features the crests growing strictly from the bridge of the skull, whereas the new appearance integrates nearly the entire side of the skull. for the crests' origin.
So far, Collecta's figure is the only toy I know of to reflect this discovery, with BotM in the running for second (and a half). The Favorite Soft Model is clearly referencing older, outdated material, and I can't imagine why.

CarnotaurusKing

Surprised no one's mentioned the back of the jaw being about as deep as the rest of the jaw. Shame. At least it's better than whatever CollectA's attempt was. But I guess we'll have to keep waiting for the definitive Dilophosaurus (*cough* Safari Ltd *cough*)

Flaffy

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on November 01, 2022, 06:50:02 PMSurprised no one's mentioned the back of the jaw being about as deep as the rest of the jaw. Shame. At least it's better than whatever CollectA's attempt was. But I guess we'll have to keep waiting for the definitive Dilophosaurus (*cough* Safari Ltd *cough*)

I don't imagine David and co. to screw up their Dilophosaurus. So we've got a really good one coming that's for sure.

Sim

What is the reason why Dilophosaurus's crests are now thought to emerge from the side of the head?  Isn't that area a fenestra?

I just checked the newer CollectA Dilophosaurus and it does incorporate that, however it doesn't include other features of the new skull reconstruction: the deeper lower jaw and that the crests begin above the nostril.  Strange.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, what do you mean by "and a half"?

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on November 01, 2022, 08:34:04 PMWhat is the reason why Dilophosaurus's crests are now thought to emerge from the side of the head?  Isn't that area a fenestra?

Yes. The crests are now thought to be direct extensions of the nasals and lacrimals, rather than separate structures sitting on the top of the skull. As such, the fenestrae and crests are post-2020 reconstructions are closely associated structures.

Quoteavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, what do you mean by "and a half"?

I assume avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon is referring to the BotM and Cyberzoic versions, which I assume shares all parts save for the head and neck. Not dissimilar to the Utahraptor and Achillobator.

Halichoeres

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 01, 2022, 02:40:16 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I think the BotM is such a version. BTW what do you mean by this?

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2022, 02:27:12 PMincorporating the data from the description of the additional specimens.

Are you referring to the 2020 reinterpretation?

When it comes to Dilophosaurus though, the crest shape and extension aren't known.

avatar_Concavenator @5aurophaganax Sorry I missed this! Yes, I'm talking about the 2020 paper. You're right that the full extent of the crest is still not known, but we do know more now about its integration into the bones of the skull. That's all I'm referring to.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Concavenator

I really don't see how the Favorite 2020 isn't incorporating the 2020 findings and the CollectA and BotM do.  ??? Could someone explain?

If anything, the Favorite one's crests begin closer to the edge of the premaxilla compared to the CollectA. Not to mention it's also bulkier which was also one of the changes in the 2020 reconstruction.

I would say the BotM/Cyberzoic doesn't get it completely right either, my understanding is the crests should begin even closer to the beginning of the premaxilla. In the pic below I colored in blue the area that should be included within the crest. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Props to the BotM (and Favorite) for not having the subnarial gap so pronounced as opposed to the pre-2020 depictions though, as that's also one of the hallmarks of the new one.

Bread

David always knows what he is doing ;)

Flaffy

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 03, 2022, 02:44:32 PMI really don't see how the Favorite 2020 isn't incorporating the 2020 findings and the CollectA and BotM do.  ??? Could someone explain?

You're focusing on the wrong area. The most crucial aspect of the new reconstruction is the revelation that the crests are direct extensions of the lacrimals and nasals; something that is notably absent on the Favorite Co. reconstruction as the crests appear to be entirely separate structures.

As for the premaxilla, yes in post-2020 reconstructions the crest is also closely associated with the area. But depending on how much soft tissue / keratin the artist chooses to include, the extent of covering is notiably more variable. So some reconstructions may have the crest keratin extend all the way to the tip of the premaxilla, while others may be more conservative. As of now, both are reasonable interpretations.

Concavenator

Thank you avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . Well, it's odd Favorite didn't incorporate the ideas from the 2020 paper.

Sim

I still don't see evidence for the crests beginning in the side of the snout.  Although while looking at the BotM Dilophosaurus and comparing it with the new skull reconstruction Flaffy shared, the crest of the BotM doesn't appear to begin early enough.  Hopefully this is corrected in the next step of the figure's development.

Halichoeres

From the redescription:
"The bottom half of the medial surface of the nasal process articulates with the nasal process from the other side at the midline. Above this articular surface, a dorsolateral convex ridge rises from the bone, and its smooth medial side indicates that it did not articulate along the midline. Instead, the thickened dorsolateral ridge on the nasal process of the premaxilla is continuous with the front margin of the nasolacrimal crest along the top of the skull."

That makes it sound like the dorsal portion of the premaxilla, which forms the superior border of the naris, is right at the front of the crest without quite being part of it.

Halichoeres

Right now orders from Favorite's site include a glow-in-the-dark Tyrannosaurus skull key ring:

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: