News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: Fembrogon on July 25, 2022, 12:33:19 AMI acquired these three figurines in a lot a while back. I liked them enough to keep them, but I haven't a clue what brand they are; there are no markings on any of them.

The rex looks similar to one of the 90s DK models, and I'm guessing the raptor is a JP knockoff of some sort. I don't know about the trike.
I'm assuming these were all produced by the same company, but I honestly don't know for sure.

It's been a while, so I'll bump this again in case anyone knows better. I think the raptor is specifically a knockoff of a Kenner die-cast minifigure, whereas the rex is, as previously stated, likely based on an older Dorling Kindersley/London Natural History Museum model. I still have no idea what the trike might be based on.

Halichoeres

G @godsonsafari I happened across this photo on another site and it's a match for your mammoth, I think. It looks like your figures are by Funrise! I'd forgotten about their die-cast line.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

godsonsafari

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 18, 2022, 08:35:57 PMG @godsonsafari I happened across this photo on another site and it's a match for your mammoth, I think. It looks like your figures are by Funrise! I'd forgotten about their die-cast line.

Awesome! Thanks! The internet once again is undefeated. I wound up making sure to take them home in the checked bag that was literally just "stuff", but now I'll have to photograph them when I list them for sale as a small eBay lot. I'd advertise it all in the correct subforum when I finally get it all up and ready for sale. Hopefully there's some stuff people want from the British Museum ones.

swiftandsour

I'm looking to finally try and find this old dino toy that I had when I was a kid, unfortunately I haven't found a picture but I will describe it to the best of my ability. Firstly I had this in the early 2000's(2001-2005 would be my best guess for the specific years), I got it from target in the animal section, it was a momma T-Rex with a baby, in fact if my memory is right I think they where from a series of other animals with their young, they where both brown and looked very similar to the design from Jurassic Park and did NOT stand on two legs. The adult's mouth was open but I cannot remember what the child's was like since I never played with that one too much as a kid. Most importantly they where felt, but the toys themselves where solid. Also the inside of the adult's mouth may have been red but I cannot remember exactly if this was the case. Any help from ya'll would be much appreciated!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 16, 2022, 05:04:34 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on July 25, 2022, 12:33:19 AMI acquired these three figurines in a lot a while back. I liked them enough to keep them, but I haven't a clue what brand they are; there are no markings on any of them.

The rex looks similar to one of the 90s DK models, and I'm guessing the raptor is a JP knockoff of some sort. I don't know about the trike.
I'm assuming these were all produced by the same company, but I honestly don't know for sure.

It's been a while, so I'll bump this again in case anyone knows better. I think the raptor is specifically a knockoff of a Kenner die-cast minifigure, whereas the rex is, as previously stated, likely based on an older Dorling Kindersley/London Natural History Museum model. I still have no idea what the trike might be based on.

I recognise the raptor, it has featured in this thread before! It was part of a playset by a company called Blue Box. See the discussion around my post: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=84.msg183384#msg183384

The other two models look like they were also from that set.

Halichoeres

Quote from: swiftandsour on December 17, 2022, 07:15:15 AMI'm looking to finally try and find this old dino toy that I had when I was a kid, unfortunately I haven't found a picture but I will describe it to the best of my ability. Firstly I had this in the early 2000's(2001-2005 would be my best guess for the specific years), I got it from target in the animal section, it was a momma T-Rex with a baby, in fact if my memory is right I think they where from a series of other animals with their young, they where both brown and looked very similar to the design from Jurassic Park and did NOT stand on two legs. The adult's mouth was open but I cannot remember what the child's was like since I never played with that one too much as a kid. Most importantly they where felt, but the toys themselves where solid. Also the inside of the adult's mouth may have been red but I cannot remember exactly if this was the case. Any help from ya'll would be much appreciated!

Melissa and Doug made a line of flocked dinosaurs, but they don't match this description. Maybe avatar_Archinto @Archinto knows?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Fembrogon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 18, 2022, 02:05:13 PMI recognize the raptor, it has featured in this thread before! It was part of a playset by a company called Blue Box. See the discussion around my post: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=84.msg183384#msg183384

Splendid! Thank you very much. I'll have to research Blue Box sometime and learn more.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 18, 2022, 11:01:45 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 18, 2022, 02:05:13 PMI recognize the raptor, it has featured in this thread before! It was part of a playset by a company called Blue Box. See the discussion around my post: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=84.msg183384#msg183384

Splendid! Thank you very much. I'll have to research Blue Box sometime and learn more.

My pleasure! I also notice you changed (or auto-corrected) the British spelling of recognise in my quote to the American recognize!?

Fembrogon

Oops, I must have changed that absent-mindedly without considering regional differences!  :o

Stegotyranno420

Something a bit different, I did not know what would be the coreect thread to post in, but I will try here.

Does anyone remeber this site. It may have been called Paleontology.com or something like that, but not exactly, as yoh can see thaf link wont work anymore. It was a purple background with a Tyrannosaurus as the logo. There were a variety of games and info texts avaliable.
I remebee 2 activities
One where you build your own dinosaur, and i clearlh remember the carnegie Acrocanthosaurus being used as one of the models.
and a game where you got a picture of a dinosaur, then you can warp it as much as you wish.
I would really appreciate finding this site
I had greag memories with it. Last time i accesed it was in 2015

Stegotyranno420

I was searching for some Utahraptor references and this was the first result. Obviously not a Utahraptor but an interesting coelurosaur nonetheless.
It appears to be a knock-off of the Carnegie Dilong, but I would like a second opinion as I am not too familiar with it.

DinoToyForum

I got this statue of an ichthyosaur and crocodile (Metriorhynchus?) on Ebay a few years ago. I believe it is a bespoke model, not mass-produced, but I wondered if anyone here knows who the sculptor is?

Primeval12

Saw this prehistoric-looking fish (maybe Hyneria or Eusthenopteron) advertised on a gumball machine of all things. Does anyone know more about it (maybe avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ) or know where I can get one? It's a decent sculpt.

Stegotyranno420

why is that fish so detailed for this haha. I would love to have it though

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's weird, stuff like this used to show up all the time around here when I was a kid. Cheap gumball type machines but there would be one really cool toy you could never get lol

Halichoeres

Well, that's a weird one. Looks like the Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron recast in monochrome rubber. Do you know where that vending machine is?

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 about your previous post, I agree that's a Carnegie Dilong knockoff.

Primeval12

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 18, 2023, 04:34:20 PMWell, that's a weird one. Looks like the Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron recast in monochrome rubber. Do you know where that vending machine is?

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 about your previous post, I agree that's a Carnegie Dilong knockoff.

I can tell you specifics in PMs but in a Dollar Tree in the USA

Primeval12

Funk

Anyone know what this chubby cartoon pterosaur is? I think I got it as a keychain in the 90s.

Thialfi

Does seem familiar. Is it not a pencil topper?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: