News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Kind of still hoping we get a HC version (w/ painted claws and belly, and tail paint), but until then, this one is still pretty good. The colors are a much better fit then on the AC one was too.

For comparison:

Kind of bummed that none of the current Pachycephalosaurus figures get the markings on the legs and back right though, and aside from the original Legacy release, the colors are off too. The HC was also the best opportunity to get it right, and they still fudged it. Pretty sad the designer just scribbled some blobs on it and called it a day (I get there are deadlines to meet, but for real, more effort and care would have went a long way). Honestly despite this newest version being still inaccurate to the source material, I find it more aesthetically pleasing then what they did with the HC version (although the lack of tail paint is still an eye sore). I'm just hoping they fixed the dreaded leg instability for this electronic retool. It's something I abhorred about the original Legacy release, and the previous repaints of that sculpt.

Other releases for comparison:
Spoiler

Ironically I think this was the closest the markings on the legs, and back, came with their shapes, but the rest of it is still off, especially since it is missing the yellow or tan body coloration.

The original Legacy release:

[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Legacy is the only one I own from those as of yet. at some point I might repaint the HC one.  Other than that the original Papo is still the best. :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 05, 2023, 02:08:05 AMLegacy is the only one I own from those as of yet. at some point I might repaint the HC one.  Other than that the original Papo is still the best. :)

The Papo one is superb but I will get the HC one. Glad I never bothered with the mainline ones.

EmperorDinobot

I just opened my AC Jr. T.rex. It is very nice, and if anyone needs it reviewed, I have a full set of pictures ready to go.

andrewsaurus rex

did Mattel ever make the outhouse that Gennaro  was gobbled up in by T.rex?

YesIAmaDinosaur

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 04:53:42 PMdid Mattel ever make the outhouse that Gennaro  was gobbled up in by T.rex?

That was this year's SDCC Exclusive
@DramaticoRising on YouTube and Instagram

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on January 04, 2023, 03:31:00 PMStill the best looking infant rex yet imo

I still prefer the Kenner version.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: YesIAmaDinosaur on January 05, 2023, 09:53:19 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 04:53:42 PMdid Mattel ever make the outhouse that Gennaro  was gobbled up in by T.rex?

Ha....coincidence.  I imagine it's hard to find and expensive.  Does Mattel usually reissue exclusives in a subtly altered form for general sale?

andrewsaurus rex

I just looked it up on Ebay......I see it comes with a T. rex figure as well.   Don't really need another of those; hopefully just the outhouse with Gennaro will be issued for general retail down the road.

Carnoking

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2023, 09:57:07 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on January 04, 2023, 03:31:00 PMStill the best looking infant rex yet imo

I still prefer the Kenner version.

That is fair, although I should have clarified I was speaking exclusively in terms of Mattel releases

andrewsaurus rex

which T.rex comes with the Tyrannosaurus escape pack with Ford Explorer and Tim with goggles?  Is it the Epic Roarin' Rex?...looks to be the same paint job but dimensions suggest it's smaller than the Epic Roarin' Rex.

Gwangi

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 10:48:10 PMwhich T.rex comes with the Tyrannosaurus escape pack with Ford Explorer and Tim with goggles?  Is it the Epic Roarin' Rex?...looks to be the same paint job but dimensions suggest it's smaller than the Epic Roarin' Rex.

It's the Extreme Chompin' T. rex, which is smaller than the Epic Roarin' T. rex.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2023, 11:21:53 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 10:48:10 PMwhich T.rex comes with the Tyrannosaurus escape pack with Ford Explorer and Tim with goggles?  Is it the Epic Roarin' Rex?...looks to be the same paint job but dimensions suggest it's smaller than the Epic Roarin' Rex.

It's the Extreme Chompin' T. rex, which is smaller than the Epic Roarin' T. rex.

Ah ok, thanks.  Not worth getting the set then.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 10:19:17 PM
Quote from: YesIAmaDinosaur on January 05, 2023, 09:53:19 PM

Ha....coincidence.  I imagine it's hard to find and expensive.  Does Mattel usually reissue exclusives in a subtly altered form for general sale?

I have a spare with a slightly damaged box if interested. Not exactly. They are making Ray Arnold in the Hammond Collection, he was released as an exclusive with special box, diorama piece, and a raptor.

SDCC exclusive

Hammond Collection

So it likely won't be exactly the same. Though we might get a Gennero figure, he could come with his suit, hat and briefcase like in the beginning of the film when he visited the mine?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 05, 2023, 11:59:40 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2023, 11:21:53 PM

Ah ok, thanks.  Not worth getting the set then.

It is if you want a Ford Explorer and Tim, two very sought after pieces.  I hope the new damaged Explorer set is the other car.

andrewsaurus rex

well, Tim I can get in the set with his sister in the kitchen with a raptor......can't recall what it's called.   Tim doesn't have the goggles though.  And the Explorer i can get loose off Ebay for a lot less than the cost of the Tyrannosaurus escape set.

But these friggin' Jurassic Park sets are annoying though.  I didn't realize they were so popular and appreciated so quickly.  The Nedry Getaway set is expensive now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 06, 2023, 04:15:11 AMwell, Tim I can get in the set with his sister in the kitchen with a raptor......can't recall what it's called.   Tim doesn't have the goggles though.  And the Explorer i can get loose off Ebay for a lot less than the cost of the Tyrannosaurus escape set.

But these friggin' Jurassic Park sets are annoying though.  I didn't realize they were so popular and appreciated so quickly.  The Nedry Getaway set is expensive now.

That's true, though I would jump on that set soon. It was discounted Nov-Dec a couple times and it's probably going to be removed soon for new 2023 items. If you can get them for less I definitely would. The Kitchen Encounter set is currently 23.99 on target.com and the Rex escape is 53.99

I would just get them within the year of release and should be good. I sold the last Nedry set I had for 50.00

andrewsaurus rex

I've only just taken an interest in JP figure sets, so i'm late to the party.  I didn't expect that the Mattel Jurassic stuff to sell out so quickly and jump in price so much. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 06, 2023, 05:05:09 AMI've only just taken an interest in JP figure sets, so i'm late to the party.  I didn't expect that the Mattel Jurassic stuff to sell out so quickly and jump in price so much. 

Collectors have been starved for awhile..Hasbro doesn't count lol If I had any left I'd help. All I have spare right now is an SDCC Gennero set and a Ray Arnold set.

andrewsaurus rex

No worries, thanks for the info.   Hopefully Mattel will recycle the vehicles and figures in future releases.  I was a bit disappointed to learn the doors don't open on the vehicles and that Nedry's jeep was missing some paint apps. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: