News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

If you put that Piatnitzkysaurus among a bunch of Chap Mei toys, no one would ever guess that it was actually made by Mattel.  :P 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

andrewsaurus rex

boy, you got that right.  wow.....Piatnitzkysaurus  = not good.

i'm impressed that they go the head crest on the Tupandactylus the correct shape.  Might be a first in the toy industry?

Gwangi

Yup, these are some of the most Chap Mei-like toys in Mattel's lineup. I don't mind the cartoonish look of what are children's toys (I generally like it) but Mattel treads a fine line. They should let companies like Tyco and Kenner inspire them, not Chap Mei.

Prehistory Resurrection

Prehistory Resurrection

While the previous Zuniceratops sculpt didn't have feathers, the newer Dino Trackers Line version has some on the back. Cannot understand the choice of Mattel for including feathers on species which most likely didn't have them; a speculative feature but I guess it's an artistic liberty from Mattel.

Gwangi

Wow, the feathers are a really strange addition. I never got the last Zuni so I suppose I'll get this one. Maybe this is Mattel's half baked idea of butt fuzz.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe saw CollectA ceratopsians? lol

It's also possible they just wanted to make it a little different I guess.

dragon53

EmperorDinobot

Someone take their early 90's dino books away!

Eatmycar

Blame Universal, sadly. This is the movie animal and it's great... at depicting that. Universal is still in the 90s with their dinosaur designs (even when they can't match the quality of the original designs in '93!)

EmperorDinobot

I wanted to be the first to post this here.

Tell me this is real.

Dynomikegojira

Looks like some left over parts of the Brachiosaurus too me but considering that film Mamenchisaurus is altered model of the Brachiosaurus I would say it's possible. Thrilled if it is real

suspsy

The Dreadnoughtus remains the best Titan.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Been trying to verify this for hours.  I'm told it's a custom, it's a prototype, idk really.  with 3D printing it could possibly be anything.  I can say the parts do not match any of the existing sauropods.

What was also said is that, aside from pics and there are more out there in other facebook groups and such, is that there is a Mamenchi confirmed for 2023 by Mattel  whether this is that figure or not.

EmperorDinobot

Collect Jurassic only lies to us on April 1st. I am inclined to believe that since today is not that day, it may be real.

MLMjp

Part of me wishes it wasn't real...
But this totally looks like a Mattel sculpt to me. I always though Mamenchi would never be made...but it looks like it will. Now we only need Corythosaurus and Oviraptor to be made into figures (and I guess new Microceratops)

User dinomikemat comments this on Collect JurassicĀ“s instagram:https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm0LCOkoNd4/
QuoteHi guys! Just to clarify this is likely a production sample, hence the half finished neck paint and pink tail. The actual will likely have correct paintwork. The dinosaur is 1m in a neutral pose but can reach 1.3m. It is unclear whether this is actually the Mattel Mamenchisaurus but it is very much suspected to be due to its paint, sculpt and articulation.

I decided to skip (sadly) on Dreadnoughtus because of it's enormous size...but skipping Mamenchisaurus is another story...even if the former has more screen time...Mamenchi is just more "iconic".

Oh god...what I am gonna do? I have no space! :-\

Gwangi

Real or not, I'm not impressed. This might be the first Mattel sauropod I skip. After getting the magnificent Dreadnoughtus I feel little reason to get another massive sauropod that's of lesser quality. I almost didn't get the Apatosaurus but decided to when it was half off, I like this Mamenchi about as much as that Apato.

Faelrin

Really wish the head sculpt resembled the Stan Winston maquette more. I mean I guess the shape is close, looking at the image in avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp 's post, but coloration is different, although I suppose it does resemble the ILM film model more, at least what is vaguely seen anyways. The unfinished neck paint (and no tail paint as usual) also looks pretty jarring and hopefully that is improved more on the final release since this is a prototype anyways (hence the test shot? tail piece).

Maquette and concept art for reference and comparison:

Spoiler

[close]
I still haven't gotten to the Dreadnoughtus yet, as much as I wanted it, and not sure if I will with my living situation still up in the air, and space is another issue (ignoring that most of my belongings are in storage atm). I think this one I might also skip, despite being a film species collector earlier on. Granted I never did pick up either of the Scorpios rex, or the film colored Moros figure either, and a few of the CC figures (Monolophosaurus and Stegosaurus). In any case the Mamenchisaurus was never one of the ones I was all that interested in anyways due to its brief appearance, and if I recall right the ILM model was mostly just a stretched out Brachiosaurus anyhow (which I guess this figure really isn't all that far off of from how it currently looks).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

It certainly looks more like the film version vs an actual Mamenchi...which is fine it fits film canon for a toy.  I'm sure someone will sell more accurate 3d printed heads for it.  kind of look like a diplodocus which I like too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: