News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 06, 2023, 05:20:49 PMI like the idea of having a Marx or Invicta vintage toy on one side, and a modern PNSO or Safari Ltd toy on the other side.

What I need is a good profile view photo of each toy on a white background. It doesn't need to be perfectly white, but white enough that I can clean it up easily.

I can source Safari Ltd or PNSO stock photos easily enough but not the vintage toys. So, if anyone can help?

All of the Invicta and most of the Marx toys have reviews on the blog and I would think that would make them fair game for use. You certainly have permission to use any of mine. Which figures did you have in mind? I don't have complete Invicta and Marx collections but I have most of them. I would take a picture of whatever one you want to use, provided I have it. Although my photography is not in the same league as some of the other members here.

Sim gave me another idea as well. You could have both a scaly retro dromaeosaur and a modern feathered one. Like the Safari Deinonychus paired with the old Bullyland or Tyco ones.

I know some people are going to push for only the most accurate and modern figures but the blog is all encompassing, I think having figures that represent the breadth of what the blog covers would be ideal in conveying what it is about. That's why I like the idea of pairing vintage and modern, an actual toy with a higher end collectible.

Fembrogon

Here are a couple of isolated shots I edited from my old Invicta Brachiosaurus photos as a sample; I could potentially edit any other images if necessary:

Spoiler

[close]

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi's comments above sum up why I thought presenting an older or more stylized figure might be a good idea; I can sympathize with wanting to avoid a JP toy, but displaying the diversity and history of dino toys through a couple of examples in the banner would set the "tone" for the Blog nicely.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 06, 2023, 07:44:33 PMHere are a couple of isolated shots I edited from my old Invicta Brachiosaurus photos as a sample; I could potentially edit any other images if necessary:

Spoiler

[close]

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi's comments above sum up why I thought presenting an older or more stylized figure might be a good idea; I can sympathize with wanting to avoid a JP toy, but displaying the diversity and history of dino toys through a couple of examples in the banner would set the "tone" for the Blog nicely.

Nice pictures but I'm afraid the shape of the figure won't work with the banner dimensions. We need something less upright. In fact, I think any sauropod figures will be difficult. See my signature to see how the image will need to fit.

Fembrogon

That entirely makes sense; I just figured I'd give it a whirl as a test, since that was a a figure I suggested myself and actually had photos of.

Gwangi

I think if an Invicta figure is used that the Megalosaurus would be ideal, because it's the right shape and the green coloration would stand out. Other figures might work too, like the Iguanodon, Stegosaurus, or Triceratops but their pale coloration wouldn't work well for a banner. Unless someone has the green Stegosaurus variant, or uses the painted versions I suppose.

Prehistory Resurrection

Hello, I have a request; in my Papo 1st Tub of mini dinosaurs Review, I made a mistake concerning the number of digits on the mini Triceratops. It is accurate the way it is; I did not notice this when I wrote the review. Could an editor please erase the part where I comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Prehistory Resurrection

[deleted]

Halichoeres

I have the Marx painted Sphenacodon, might be fun to include. I know some folks said they should be dinosaurs in the technical sense, but there are broader colloquial uses of the word 'dinosaur.' I don't think we should be hidebound literalists on that point.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 06, 2023, 10:48:39 PMI have the Marx painted Sphenacodon, might be fun to include. I know some folks said they should be dinosaurs in the technical sense, but there are broader colloquial uses of the word 'dinosaur.' I don't think we should be hidebound literalists on that point.

If not a dinosaur, them it should at least be a more obviously prehistoric creature. The Marx Sphenacodon toy could almost pass for a modern lizard and wouldn't look out of place on the Animal Toy Blog logo instead. Something like, I don't know, say, a plesiosaur! would be fine. ;) But a plesiosaur wouldn't fit either.

I think the Invicta Megalosaurus or Triceratops is a good call. I can visualise the latter working best. But sometimes you just can't tell until you drop the image into position...

Baryonyx

The Invicta Muttaburrasaurus is a nice punchy orange/red! has a good profile with its raised hand too. 😎

Concavenator

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 06, 2023, 04:55:29 PMDo we want strictly "Modern", accurate figures for the banner, or could more classic or stylized figures be nominated too?

I'd prefer modern accurate figures if you ask me. Or at least new figures. For example, when it comes to the current banner, yes I would like a change (it's been 3 years now, isn't it?) but I like the idea behind it, even if not all figures there are accurate, they're modern (they were new by 2020). I prefer that approach over the retro/awesomebro/modern one. If we include a figure we now consider "modern and accurate", how will we feel about that figure in some years from now on? Imagine we had followed this approach in 2014 and included the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus because it was brand new then and a lot of us could have considered it "modern and accurate" by that time. 2021 and we have the GR Toys, PNSO and some people even the Dino Hazard one. So the "modern" figure on the banner would turn out to be "retro" in a shorter amount of time than what you'd think.

Updating the forum banner with new releases adds a sense of dynamism to the forum that you could consider "a breath of fresh air".

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on January 07, 2023, 12:10:32 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on January 06, 2023, 04:55:29 PMDo we want strictly "Modern", accurate figures for the banner, or could more classic or stylized figures be nominated too?

I'd prefer modern accurate figures if you ask me. Or at least new figures. For example, when it comes to the current banner, yes I would like a change (it's been 3 years now, isn't it?) but I like the idea behind it, even if not all figures there are accurate, they're modern (they were new by 2020). I prefer that approach over the retro/awesomebro/modern one. If we include a figure we now consider "modern and accurate", how will we feel about that figure in some years from now on? Imagine we had followed this approach in 2014 and included the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus because it was brand new then and a lot of us could have considered it "modern and accurate" by that time. 2021 and we have the GR Toys, PNSO and some people even the Dino Hazard one. So the "modern" figure on the banner would turn out to be "retro" in a shorter amount of time than what you'd think.

Updating the forum banner with new releases adds a sense of dynamism to the forum that you could consider "a breath of fresh air".

This discussion is for the blog banner, not the forum one. The blog banner only has two figures. I agree that the forum banner should be recent releases.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Baryonyx on January 06, 2023, 11:45:12 PMThe Invicta Muttaburrasaurus is a nice punchy orange/red! has a good profile with its raised hand too. 😎

That's a good call, too! I always liked the Bullyland Lambeosaurus because its crest looks like it is giving the thumbs up! So it would be nice to continue that theme.

I'll try out a few of the options discussed above and see what works best. If anyone has good high res photos of the Invicta Muttaburrasaurus, Megalosaurus, and Triceratops, on a plain white background, please do share!

Gwangi

Quote from: Baryonyx on January 06, 2023, 11:45:12 PMThe Invicta Muttaburrasaurus is a nice punchy orange/red! has a good profile with its raised hand too. 😎

That one crossed my mind too, but it looks considerably more modern than say...the Iguanodon. But there is no denying that it's vintage and it is quite striking. So, as far as the Mutta goes...

Halichoeres

The Muttaburrasaurus is a good choice. I hope someone has or can take a nice photo!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 06, 2023, 09:39:30 PMHello, I have a request; in my Papo 1st Tub of mini dinosaurs Review, I made a mistake concerning the number of digits on the mini Triceratops. It is accurate the way it is; I did not notice this when I wrote the review. Could an editor please erase the part where I comment on this? Thanks in advance.
Here is the link: https://dinotoyblog.com/2018/03/13/dinosaur-mini-tub-a-papo/.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 07, 2023, 07:05:38 AM
Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 06, 2023, 09:39:30 PMHello, I have a request; in my Papo 1st Tub of mini dinosaurs Review, I made a mistake concerning the number of digits on the mini Triceratops. It is accurate the way it is; I did not notice this when I wrote the review. Could an editor please erase the part where I comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Done!  C:-)

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 07, 2023, 01:33:56 PM
Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 07, 2023, 07:05:38 AM

Done!  C:-)

Thank you so much 👍!

Sim

Although I would still prefer modern accurate figures only in the blog banner, I like the idea of using the Invicta Muttaburrasaurus.  It's still the best version of that animal and it might encourage someone to make a new version of it, which I'd like.  We got newer versions of Pachyrhinosaurus and Lambeosaurus after all.  Is there the possibility of using the painted Invicta Muttaburrasaurus?  I prefer it to the unpainted version.

Halichoeres

I don't have an opinion on painted vs. unpainted, but there are surely many more forum members who own the latter and can produce a good photo of it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: