News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

Faelrin

Wow that JPIII raptor turned out terrible. To think I was excited for this one too. What a let down. Also what happened to the quills on the head? Their older Legacy version had a much better head sculpt. Eyes are strangely squinty on this version too. Paint apps look horrible, especially the tail-body connection. Canceling my pre-order on BBTS. Glad I wasn't charged yet, otherwise I'd be wanting a refund. At this point the electronic Epic Attack one looks more enticing, because at least the head sculpt is better, despite the lack of paint and articulation. Edit: I remembered wrong. The quills on that one are also pretty poorly done, and it also has the squinty eye problem. I'm so disappointed and frustrated at how they handled these both. We've been asking for a JPIII raptor for years now, since the 2018 Legacy one was canceled and they couldn't even deliver a proper iteration.

I take back what I said about this being one of their better HC releases. This is one of their worse. For shame Mattel, for shame.

Edit 2: Even the Amber Collection version could have been shrunk down and would have been miles better.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Jikes! The negative reactions to this figure....

I personally think it's an improvement over the first HC, I was dreading it was going to turn out worse. They did get the head with this one. The upcoming epic attack one looks a bit better, but we can't really be sure with just a promo image. Of course the rest of the body is recycled form the other HC raptor, but we knew they were going to do that anyway...I was going to complaint about the extra quills over its head, but they actually go up to that part in the film so nevermind.

Besides, is either this or the epic attack one, not a lot of options...

Amazon link (out of stock rn) with more pictures: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jurassic-World-Park-III-articulaciones/dp/B0B9PYH4WK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2JL3W05PNG130&keywords=hammond+collection&qid=1673476811&sprefix=hammond+colle%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-7

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 11, 2023, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 11, 2023, 03:21:38 PMThey throw random dinosaurs into their set and vehicles because apparently the non dinosaur figures of the Jurassic World line aren't the biggest sellers.

Remember that human figures became self warmers back in 2018 with the fallen kingdom line. Mattel took that "fail" to the extreme and now their mentality is that everything has to have a dinosaur in it, unless it's from the Hammond collection...

That's interesting because for me, it's the human figures that are the draw to this line.  I don't care for most of Mattel's dinosaur toys, with a few exceptions.  But the human figures and vehicles/accessories do appeal to me.  Unfortunately, including dino figures with the human packs greatly elevates the price of the sets, especially if you have to go after market to get them.

A random Raptor shouldn't greatly elevate the price of the set? I haven't seen any sets that specifically do that? If they had packaged the Postosuchus with a human then yeah I could see that doing it, but so far all the humans and vehicles have come with pretty average easy to get dinos.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on January 11, 2023, 10:43:13 PMJikes! The negative reactions to this figure....

I personally think it's an improvement over the original HC, I was dreading it was going to turn out worse. They did get the head with this one. The upcoming epic attack one looks a bit better, but we can't really be sure with just a promo image. Of course the rest of the body is recycled form the other HC raptor, but we knew they were going to do that anyway...I was going to complaint about the extra quills over its head, but they actually go up to that part in the film so nevermind.

Besides, is either this or the epic attack one, not a lot of options...

Amazon link (out of stock rn) with more pictures: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jurassic-World-Park-III-articulaciones/dp/B0B9PYH4WK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2JL3W05PNG130&keywords=hammond+collection&qid=1673476811&sprefix=hammond+colle%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-7

Yeah I mean it pretty much looks as expected to me. The tail paint could be an mistake, first review I've seen about it so not sure if it's widespread. Everything else looks ok, it's 15.00 toy not a 30.00 one and they added a bit more neck articulation I think he said?

I still have my Hasbro JP3 raptor set and I have a custom male I made from one, I'm not super concerned about it.

MLMjp

Found a video on the Ankylosaurus. Is still a JW Ankylosaurus with the JP3 colors, but it looks pretty decent regardless. Also, it is bigger than the regular Ankylosaurus mold!
https://youtu.be/zmVETjRsWOA

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on January 12, 2023, 02:58:19 PMFound a video on the Ankylosaurus. Is still a JW Ankylosaurus with the JP3 colors, but it looks pretty decent regardless. Also, it is bigger than the regular Ankylosaurus mold!
https://youtu.be/zmVETjRsWOA

I read the tail works pretty good for posing too, no really obvious joints, ect..

Faelrin

My thoughts about it are the same as before (missing the leg and claw paint, probably cut from the added tail articulation, and JW body sculpt), but I think that's because I saw it from the Beyond the Gates video. No surprises here. I'm less disappointed about this then the JPIII raptor, even though it also could have been handled better.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I'm not saying that there's not a difference but honestly, I've never noticed one between the JP3 and JW Ankylosaurus. Anyway, ever since they were announced I had already decided to skip on the HC Ankylosaurus and JP3 raptor. I don't like JP3 so I don't need it's dinosaurs. For Ankylosaurus I'm quite content with having Bumpy in my collection.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I actually think Bumpy may be the best ankylosaur in JP/JW as a franchise. I can actually tell her from the other designs as  I have to agree other than color I don't see a lot of differences in any of the other takes either.

DinoFan2010

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2023, 01:54:33 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 11, 2023, 03:21:38 PMThey throw random dinosaurs into their set and vehicles because apparently the non dinosaur figures of the Jurassic World line aren't the biggest sellers.

Remember that human figures became self warmers back in 2018 with the fallen kingdom line. Mattel took that "fail" to the extreme and now their mentality is that everything has to have a dinosaur in it, unless it's from the Hammond collection...

That's interesting because for me, it's the human figures that are the draw to this line.  I don't care for most of Mattel's dinosaur toys, with a few exceptions.  But the human figures and vehicles/accessories do appeal to me.  Unfortunately, including dino figures with the human packs greatly elevates the price of the sets, especially if you have to go after market to get them.

A random Raptor shouldn't greatly elevate the price of the set? I haven't seen any sets that specifically do that? If they had packaged the Postosuchus with a human then yeah I could see that doing it, but so far all the humans and vehicles have come with pretty average easy to get dinos.
That's what happened with this year's Ian Malcom set. Mattel got our hopes up by promising the young Baryonyx, but then shoved another cheap Velociraptor in our face to save them money.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on January 13, 2023, 11:59:50 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2023, 01:54:33 AM

That's what happened with this year's Ian Malcom set. Mattel got our hopes up by promising the young Baryonyx, but then shoved another cheap Velociraptor in our face to save them money.

That's not exactly how it works.  Mattel produces a concept for an item, it's shown to retailers, and if they don't like it or the licensor doesn't like it, in this case Universal, then it's changed or not made.  I'm betting that Baryonyx was the metal arm version from the black market scene. Maybe it the retailers and Uni didn't like it.so it was changed.  Malcolm really had no tie to any particular dinosaur in the film save the Giga..be glad he wasn't packaged with it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 13, 2023, 04:38:51 PM

Never really got into the sound surges..and I haven't seen one in the wild anywhere as of yet.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Prehistory Resurrection

[deleted]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 13, 2023, 05:33:09 PM
Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 13, 2023, 04:38:51 PM
The jaw looks like the bash & bite hasbro indominus

That's being nice, these just look uber cheap all around.

Are there any more pics/details anywhere for the Epic Damage Carnotaurus?

Giganotosaurus

Any new ideas on when the next wave of figures will release? Or the HC Pachy?
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on January 18, 2023, 08:51:25 PMAny new ideas on when the next wave of figures will release? Or the HC Pachy?

Haven't seen anything, just the release dates at EE or whatever Collect Jurassic posts up. They did say Behind the Gates would be returning.  They also post more updates on their facebook vs their website : https://www.facebook.com/collectjurassic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: