News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TNG Prehistoric Figures (Unending Tedium)

Started by Loon, January 28, 2023, 03:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on February 09, 2023, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on February 09, 2023, 09:50:02 PMMy two cents

Papo copied JP/Sideshow.
Rebor copied JP and other pop culture media
Mojo copied Collecta after the company split in two
Mattel copied Kenners old paint jobs AND WILL PROBABY DO COPY MORE THIS YEAR (although using the same JP licence)
Schleich also copied JP style dinos, Dinosaur King paint schmes, JW paint schemes etc
BOTM copies paint schemes from WWD and people call them tributes etc and praise the Dino Riders colors etc.
Nanmu basically stole all JP/JW dinos designs

All these brands continue to be around, people here continue to buy from them, despite all that. Now suddenly everyone wants to boycott TNG? Isn't that an overreaction?

We will ignore the fact that the BOTM WWD figures ARE actually meant to be "tributes", but let's not get into that. I fully agree, why boycott a company that from what we know is just inspired? It's a massive overreaction and the models that were 100% "taken" were given permission by the creators. I understand not wanting to buy a figure, and that's fine, but trying to get people to boycott the company because it may or may not have "stolen" something??
I suspect that there two forces at work seeking to cancel TNG, one legitimate, one disreputable. Some are really trying to protect paleoartists and their associated companies. This is commendable. Some are only 'virtue signaling or rationalizing, seizing any opening to insist on a point that empowers their sense of virtue. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO ARE IN EITHER CAMP. I presume the majority are in the first. I don't want to know, to judge. Its none if my business. I would want to assume the best. Perfectly fine for a person in the first camp to be in this discussion, even if heated. Their motives are solid and good.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Lynx on February 09, 2023, 10:03:23 PMWe will ignore the fact that the BOTM WWD figures ARE actually meant to be "tributes", but let's not get into that.

What is the actual difference between BOTM tributes and a new Chinese company inspiring their models on other artists work?

To me the only differences are everyone loves WWD and BOTM did in an obvious manner, clearly stating it to be inspired by the series. Like you said. They MEANT IT that way. They probably didn't pay BBC royalties for the use of the color scheme.
"Oh, but you can't copyright colors!". Yes, you can't, just like you can't copyright animal species, animal poses, animal behavior... and so on. So artists can use that to their advantage when they feel like it.
You can't just say something is suddenly made "more moral" just because it was done openly in broad daylight and another thing just like the first is "immoral" because it was done quietly.

Why that gets accepted and not the work from the other company?

In the name of nostalgia, everyone gives a pass to art inspired by other art. It is an emotional reaction, that's the only reason I can think of.

When there is no emotion involved, like in TNG case, where the company made product inspired by other product, people look at it with reason instead of nostalgia and notice the "inspiration" and get mad about it.

But that looks like double standards to me. If one were to boycott TNG, they should, IMHO, boycott all companies that did that same thing, like the ones I listed before.

I don't really have a problem with it, coming from either company. One thing it to steal someone elses figure by making a direct mold of it to bootleg them, that I can't support either, another is producing models inspired by other people's work.

Dusty Wren

Okay, honest question, guys. Why does it matter what anyone else thinks about this company? No one is going to stop you from buying the figures if you want them. You don't need to defend TNG's honor on the internet; I'm sure they'll make money just fine.
Check out my customs thread!

SidB

Quote from: Dusty Wren on February 10, 2023, 01:32:20 AMOkay, honest question, guys. Why does it matter what anyone else thinks about this company? No one is going to stop you from buying the figures if you want them. You don't need to defend TNG's honor on the internet; I'm sure they'll make money just fine.
I suspect, avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren , that you're right, they won't necessarily end up in the poor house.

Lynx

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 10, 2023, 01:28:53 AM
Quote from: Lynx on February 09, 2023, 10:03:23 PMWe will ignore the fact that the BOTM WWD figures ARE actually meant to be "tributes", but let's not get into that.

What is the actual difference between BOTM tributes and a new Chinese company inspiring their models on other artists work?

To me the only differences are everyone loves WWD and BOTM did in an obvious manner, clearly stating it to be inspired by the series. Like you said. They MEANT IT that way. They probably didn't pay BBC royalties for the use of the color scheme.
"Oh, but you can't copyright colors!". Yes, you can't, just like you can't copyright animal species, animal poses, animal behavior... and so on. So artists can use that to their advantage when they feel like it.
You can't just say something is suddenly made "more moral" just because it was done openly in broad daylight and another thing just like the first is "immoral" because it was done quietly.

Why that gets accepted and not the work from the other company?

In the name of nostalgia, everyone gives a pass to art inspired by other art. It is an emotional reaction, that's the only reason I can think of.

When there is no emotion involved, like in TNG case, where the company made product inspired by other product, people look at it with reason instead of nostalgia and notice the "inspiration" and get mad about it.

But that looks like double standards to me. If one were to boycott TNG, they should, IMHO, boycott all companies that did that same thing, like the ones I listed before.

I don't really have a problem with it, coming from either company. One thing it to steal someone elses figure by making a direct mold of it to bootleg them, that I can't support either, another is producing models inspired by other people's work.

I never said it was more moral, all I said is that it was purposefully meant to be a tribute from what I can tell.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Dusty Wren on February 10, 2023, 01:32:20 AMOkay, honest question, guys. Why does it matter what anyone else thinks about this company? No one is going to stop you from buying the figures if you want them. You don't need to defend TNG's honor on the internet; I'm sure they'll make money just fine.
Because to some the situation behind their figures determines whether they buy any or not.

Sim

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on February 03, 2023, 12:04:40 AM
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, comparing these two figures shows they are actually quite different, but I've now realised the TNG Cryolophosaurus in some ways is more like the Papo Acrocanthosaurus than the PNSO Yutyrannus.  The Papo figure can be seen here: https://dinotoyblog.com/acrocanthosaurus-papo/
I think the TNG Cryolophosaurus might have been inspired by the Papo Acrocanthosaurus and PNSO Yutyrannus or maybe it wasn't.  I definitely think there's nothing wrong with it.  The only TNG figures I think there's something wrong with are the two Velociraptor that copy the Jurassic World design.

SidB

Well, after this long chain of argumentation, and weighing one thing after another, I've decided to get the five mammals. The points in favor have persuaded me as being more likely than the arguments against. Still, the discussion is/was worth having.

Ikessauro

Quote"(A Continued Exercise in Tedium)"

kinda passive agressive, don't you guys think? Are we now only allowed to talk about stuff some members like? Or, when the members agrees with their views, it's ok, when members disagree, becomes tedious.

Or is it that now threads have expiration date? You can't bore people by commenting on it, because people are of the opinion the subject has been over discussed.  ::)

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 15, 2023, 12:57:54 AM
Quote"(A Continued Exercise in Tedium)"

kinda passive agressive, don't you guys think? Are we now only allowed to talk about stuff some members like? Or, when the members agrees with their views, it's ok, when members disagree, becomes tedious.

Or is it that now threads have expiration date? You can't bore people by commenting on it, because people are of the opinion the subject has been over discussed.  ::)

Once the genie is out of the bottle, it won't go back in so easily!

SenSx

What do you think of that new Quetzalcoatlus ?

It does seem to have issues, like the big hands.
But it might have a better articulated beak, I find the seam horrible on the GR one, but its beak seems to have a more interesting shape, it's too straight and large on the TNG.

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on February 20, 2023, 01:16:42 PMWhat do you think of that new Quetzalcoatlus ?

But it might have a better articulated beak, I find the seam horrible on the GR one, but its beak seems to have a more interesting shape, it's too straight and large on the TNG.
While there are things on the new one that I prefer, such as the change in texturing and coloration and better beak articulation , you're right about the other points that you mention, IMO. Each has strong and weak points. But he's right, they would go well displayed together. BTW, one thing about the original that I'm curious about - they come in a pair, one painted and one unpainted. The company had originally promised that they would be sold separately, when their "contest" to see who could come up with the best new suggested paint scheme for the unpainted one had come to its conclusion. Has anyone gotten wind of that outcome? I'm assuming that they are still sold as a pair.

SenSx

Quote from: SidB on February 20, 2023, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: SenSx on February 20, 2023, 01:16:42 PMWhat do you think of that new Quetzalcoatlus ?

While there are things on the new one that I prefer, such as the change in texturing and coloration and better beak articulation , you're right about the other points that you mention, IMO. Each has strong and weak points. But he's right, they would go well displayed together. BTW, one thing about the original that I'm curious about - they come in a pair, one painted and one unpainted. The company had originally promised that they would be sold separately, when their "contest" to see who could come up with the best new suggested paint scheme for the unpainted one had come to its conclusion. Has anyone gotten wind of that outcome? I'm assuming that they are still sold as a pair.

Nothing, after the disagreement between GR Toys and the original sculptor of the figure, I figured the contest and selling only one model alone was cancelled.
So I just bought the pair.
I'll try to paint it like the black Kaiyodo Quetzalcoatlus (good luck to me)

SidB

That makes excellent sense, avatar_SenSx @SenSx , no doubt the original intent has been altered as of necessity.

Sim

I've watched the video review of the TNG Quetzalcoatlus by A @Andysdinosaurreviews a few times...  I like the figure but those lines on the lower jaw beak bother me.  I wonder if a real Quetzalcoatlus might have them?  Perhaps if it rested its head on rocky cliffs to sleep?  It's an impressive figure for sure though, as can be seen in the size comparison with the Papo Tyrannosaurus.  I like it more than Haolonggood's version.  The other TNG figures I'm interested in also suffer to some extent with IMO unnecessary lines.  On the Cryolophosaurus it's minor, they are only on the feet.  On the Carnotaurus though they are all over the body which certainly adds detail to it but could the real animal really have had them?

Moldovan0731

I was looking for a woolly mammoth figure that is smaller than the discounted Schleich one but bigger than the Safari Ltd. one for ages, and the TNG woolly mammoth is an even better option than the 2022 Mojo Fun woolly mammoth. I was going to buy it even when it was thought TNG figures were bootlegs anyway, it's just now that Andy Harner (Andy's Dinosaur Reviews) found out that they're not (https://m.facebook.com/groups/1182558221885212/permalink/3352094674931545/), I'm not going to have even a shred of guilt buying it, which is nice.

Flaffy

For people who ordered off Aliexpress:

Has anyone gotten notifications from your shop of choice that the TNG products have been delayed due to production issues?
For reference the products I ordered are the Stegodon and Mammoth.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on March 06, 2023, 12:35:34 PMFor people who ordered off Aliexpress:

Has anyone gotten notifications from your shop of choice that the TNG products have been delayed due to production issues?
For reference the products I ordered are the Stegodon and Mammoth.
No, fortunately -I ordered fairly early, after the discussions on this thread had reached their conclusion and I'd made up my mind to get the five mammals.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: