News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

EU User Consent Policy

Started by DinoToyForum, March 01, 2023, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

You know those annoying pop-ups that appear on most websites that you have to click before browsing the site? Well, I'm legally obliged to add one to my websites because my sites (like all sites) use cookies and IP addresses to function. I've been avoiding doing this for a long time because the pop-ups are so intrusive and, personally, I'll often leave a site when I encounter the popup. However, I've received a demand and deadline to add them to the Dinosaur Toy Blog and Animal Toy Blog. So, now I have to.

Nothing else is changing, it will just be a button to click, and I'll try and make it as unobtrusive and not off-putting as possible.

Faelrin

Honestly it's something I appreciate. Most websites have third parties that use cookies to track and sell peoples data. Anytime I see one of those pop ups I go in and turn off anything that isn't essential (not the accept all option that's often front and center). It's also why I use Firefox with built in tracking prevention and cookies disabled except on a few websites, along with u block origin (which is the most efficient ad blocker out there these days).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

So, I think I've installed everything required for GDPR compliance successfully. Time will tell.

There are now two pop-ups to click. One, in a bar at the bottom, for Wordpress. The other, which appears in the centre of the page, is for Google Adsense.

There is also now a Privacy Policy page for the blog at https://dinotoyblog.com/privacy-policy/ The bar at the bottom links to it.

The Google pop-up will also appear on the forum, if that's your landing page for the dinotoyblog domain. The forum's separate Privacy Policy page, which all members will have agreed to when registering, is on this page below the Registration Agreement: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=agreement

Please let me know if you encounter any problems with any of this, or have any questions.

My feelings about the pop-ups. The Wordpress bar at the bottom is okay but the Google Adsense one is so intrusive, just horrible. I find it deeply upsetting that this is the first thing visitors to the site must now see instead of, say, oh I don't know, a dinosaur toy review. But that's how it is.

A bonus for all you people with adblockers: an additional Google Adsense pop-up may appear requesting you to allow ads on the Dinosaur Toy Blog specifically. So, if you're feeling kind, click that, because every pair of eyes that views an ad counts and helps the site tick along. You might even see an ad that interests you. I wish the Google ads were more relevant but apart from the occasional NHM Dippy exhibition or dinosaur toy ad, they seem mostly random.

DinoToyForum

There's an 88% consent rate for Google Adsense pop-ups on my sites so far. I guess the other 12% are bouncing, i.e. leaving the site immediately – I think you can't view the site otherwise.

I'm curious, has anyone here *not* consented? I suppose not, by default, because consent is required to get this far! But I'm not sure how people with ad-blockers are affected. Do you ad-blocker users see the consent pop up at all?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think I have an ad blocker unless it's built in to my firefox or Mcaffee protection, haven't any issues though

DinoToyForum

Did you see the pop-up and click consent? Maybe it only appears for people in the EU/UK.

Fenestra

It appeared for me. I'm in the EU. And I have add blocker on.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fenestra on March 04, 2023, 07:07:14 PMIt appeared for me. I'm in the EU. And I have add blocker on.

Thanks, so did you click consent? Presumably you still don't see ads, though, if you have adblocker? Do you encounter the popup begging ad-blocker users to remove the block for the site?

DinoToyForum

The allow ads pop up looks like this:

I mean, it's true, but if someone has installed adblocker then it could be offputting to see this message and turn visitors away. Which I don't want to do - welcoming all visitors is more important than making a few pennies from an ad.

bmathison1972

Ive never gotten that, on ATB nor DTB; just one very small and non-obtrusive banner at the bottom that I have only seen once

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 04, 2023, 08:39:25 PMIve never gotten that, on ATB nor DTB; just one very small and non-obtrusive banner at the bottom that I have only seen once

The banner at the bottom is the Wordpress consent, that's to give GDPR consent for cookies, which are integral for things like comments and ratings on the blog. On the forum, cookies are integral to the login system and ban system. It's basically how the internet works and has always worked, and cookies are so innocuous it seems ridiculous to me that consent is required. That's for Wordpress and the Forum anyway. Adsense is another matter.

It seems that the Adsense consent banner isn't shown to people in the US, or anyone else outside of the EU/UK. Unless someone responds otherwise.

The equivalent to GDPR in the US is CPRA, but that seems to be focussed on selling and sharing data, while GDPR seems to be more broadly about collecting data. I see that there's an option in Adsense for me to activate a CPRA consent popup as well. I don't know if it's mandatory, I'm not selling or sharing data (I wouldn't even know how), but maybe Adsense is/could through the ads on my site? I'll look into it, but maybe I should activate that pop-up anyway, a small number of you might welcome another box to check. :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 04, 2023, 06:50:35 PMDid you see the pop-up and click consent? Maybe it only appears for people in the EU/UK.

I received some message that wouldn't let me view the site unless I clicked ok, that was probably it. I'm so used to running into something everywhere anymore, I just assumed it was a security feature.

Fenestra

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 04, 2023, 07:26:33 PMThe allow ads pop up looks like this:

I mean, it's true, but if someone has installed adblocker then it could be offputting to see this message and turn visitors away. Which I don't want to do - welcoming all visitors is more important than making a few pennies from an ad.

It was the "Privacy Policy" that popped up for me a few days ago. I thought that was what you were asking for.
The "allow ads" pop up you are showing here, I have never seen before.
I don't see any ads on this site for that matter. I use AdBlocker Ultimate from Firefox.

Takama

I Still see this

On every single page I visit on the blog, 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on March 05, 2023, 05:49:33 PMI Still see this

On every single page I visit on the blog, 

14% of ad-blocker users to my sites have clicked it, so thanks to those of you that have!

Unfortunately it's an 'all or nothing' feature that appears on every page until consent is given - I checked. So, I might remove it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.